Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 12:34 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
All fight scenes in movies these days are choreographed to death. It makes for a nice ballet, but it robs the fights of a lot of their weight. Everything looks so practiced and rehearsed --- because it is.

The last fight scene I can recall that I thought struck me as brutal, visceral, and real was the ending dual in ROB ROY, and that movie is almost twenty years old.

Today's filmmakers ought to take a lesson from Hitchcock: "In films murders are always very clean. I show how difficult it is and what a messy thing it is to kill a man."
At least from a choreography standpoint, this fight scene from the first season of Daredevil stands out for me: One camera, a single take, three minutes long. And I like it that Daredevil becomes exhausted during the course of the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B66feInucFY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 01:01 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
All fight scenes in movies these days are choreographed to death. It makes for a nice ballet, but it robs the fights of a lot of their weight. Everything looks so practiced and rehearsed --- because it is.
Which is where Batman's warehouse takedown in BvS smacks every MCU fight right upside its choreographed head. Yeah, it's "choreographed" (because you have to plan it out, it's not MMA), but here are the things it is NOT: choppy, shaky, cut to hell, or sped-up. All those things applied to numerous fights in Civil War, minus the airport standoff. The photography, editing and motion are all better, and everything that goes down is just so "Batman." And right when you think they can't take it up a notch— they do.

Quote:
Today's filmmakers ought to take a lesson from Hitchcock: "In films murders are always very clean. I show how difficult it is and what a messy thing it is to kill a man."
As far as CBM fights go, the warehouse takedown is dirtier than anything we've seen from a previous Batman or any movies with Marvel characters. I can't imagine you not liking it. Hate him or love him, you can't knock Zack when it comes to action.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:16 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Which is where Batman's warehouse takedown in BvS smacks every MCU fight right upside its choreographed head. Yeah, it's "choreographed" (because you have to plan it out, it's not MMA), but here are the things it is NOT: choppy, shaky, cut to hell, or sped-up. All those things applied to numerous fights in Civil War, minus the airport standoff. The photography, editing and motion are all better, and everything that goes down is just so "Batman." And right when you think they can't take it up a notch— they do.
I look forward to watching it in a week or so.

Quote:
As far as CBM fights go, the warehouse takedown is dirtier than anything we've seen from a previous Batman or any movies with Marvel characters. I can't imagine you not liking it. Hate him or love him, you can't knock Zack when it comes to action.
Well, I hated most of the action in Man of Steel, both the initial Krypton scenes and the big end battle. My favorite fight scene in that movie is actually in the truck stop, because it's all about the emotions of the characters involved, the stakes, not the violence. And it has a great pay-off.

For all of his other many virtues as a filmmaker, Nolan's fight scenes are remarkably terrible. He has no gift for fight scenes at all. I get the impression Nolan watched LETHAL WEAPON a few times and learned all the wrong lessons from it.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:41 PM

406 posts, read 288,497 times
Quote:
How many signatures did you collect to make that official?

Sorry, buddy, but Batman's warehouse fight takes the prize. Best fight in a comic book film up through 2016. The airport battle was indeed fun, but felt very "choreographed." It had its moments, but again, the HISHE pointed out one of the obvious contrivances that perforates the integrity of the goings-on.

Again, just your opinion. I felt it was forced and (since they gave it all away in the early trailers) predictable. And some of it played out in slo-mo, with Black Panther's voice-over. They went out of their way to depower Iron Man just so you could have that scene. The HISHE shows you how it really would go down.

But it's really just a funny video. You, yourself, feel like turning it back into a BvS-vs-CW affair.
I don't know, you tell me:

Captain America: Civil War
Box Office: 1.15 billion
Rotten Tomatoes: 90%
Metacritic: 75%

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Box Office: 872 million
Rotten Tomatoes: 27%
Metacritic: 44%

I didn't even watch the video you posted. So this is the better fight? LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7SiuQxhAjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlyUAaa0qT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJfIg8fXM-w

Old 07-11-2016, 04:43 PM

Nice to see you're having fun. Now be a good boy and edit the videos out of your post so Mark doesn't end up watching them. He hasn't seen the movie.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
I didn't even watch the video you posted.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:28 PM

406 posts, read 288,497 times
Quote:
Nice to see you're having fun. Now be a good boy and edit the videos out of your post so Mark doesn't end up watching them. He hasn't seen the movie.
WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?(batman voice) haha well if Mark plays the videos, that's his own doing

You are on a endless, fruitless mission to convince the world that BvS is good. It is not, says the world. Now pick up your ball and go home.

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/2f55a896...c1bd2a59_1.jpg

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/efc71d9a...711dd35f_1.jpg

Old 07-12-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
At least from a choreography standpoint, this fight scene from the first season of Daredevil stands out for me: One camera, a single take, three minutes long. And I like it that Daredevil becomes exhausted during the course of the fight.
That was a fantastic scene --- although I think the Punisher's prison slaughter in Season 2 might have topped it. As great as both scenes were, they still felt choreographed to me. It didn't spoil me from enjoying them in the least. But it does rob them of a certain amount of realism.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Don't worry about me. Anyone who gets on a messageboard about a movie that has been out for months and then complains about spoilers deserves a kick in the pants.

Spoilers don't bother me anyway. I don't watch movies or read books only to find out what happened. I care just as much or more about the how and why as I do the what.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:38 AM

'Captain America: Civil War': 5 Problems With This Marvel Movie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies