Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:45 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
JOHN: One springs from an organic idea and has a truly "artist's eye" working. And Friday the 13th, I feel, affects me as very cynical. It's very cynical moviemaking. And it doesn't rise above its cheapness. I think the reason that all these slasher movies came in the '80s was a lot of folks said "Look at that Halloween movie — it was made for peanuts, and look at the money it's made! We can make money like that. That's what the teenagers want to see." So they just started making them, cranking them out...and most of them were awful.

Bret Easton Ellis Podcast

And they were both right.

I have a fond nostalgic affection for a lot of the '80s horror movies. But I'll be the first to admit that most of them were pretty awful.

The one huge franchise that never grabbed me in any way was the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. I found them dumb, not the least bit scary, and disgusting in a way that even a horror movie shouldn't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 01:58 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The one huge franchise that never grabbed me in any way was the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.
Yes, it's overrated. It never needed to go beyond one movie. Why is that franchise what it is, while Phantasm is mostly forgotten except by its small cult following? The story's much better (The Tall Man > Freddy anyday).

Old 05-26-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's overrated. It never needed to go beyond one movie. Why is that franchise what it is, while Phantasm is mostly forgotten except by its small cult following? The story's much better (The Tall Man > Freddy anyday).
Phantasm is one of those movies that I'm convinced you have to be high to understand. And since I don't partake of those kinds of recreational activities, I have remained lost and confused through large parts of that movie. But there's no doubt it's extremely creepy and scary. The Tall Man is one of the all-time great horror movie villains, and that movie has one of the best final scenes of any horror movie ever. I was afraid to look in a mirror for weeks after seeing that movie for the first time.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:22 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom
Halloween is one of my favorite franchises.
I pretty much only like the first one...... (Maybe the 2nd also but the 1st is the best (THE ORIGINAL 1978 ONE))

Old 05-26-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Phantasm is one of those movies that I'm convinced you have to be high to understand. And since I don't partake of those kinds of recreational activities, I have remained lost and confused through large parts of that movie. But there's no doubt it's extremely creepy and scary. The Tall Man is one of the all-time great horror movie villains, and that movie has one of the best final scenes of any horror movie ever. I was afraid to look in a mirror for weeks after seeing that movie for the first time.
Only you! (Which parts lost you?)

Btw, Wes "borrowed" the mirror bit for the end of the first Nightmare.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Only you! (Which parts lost you?)
The middle part of the movie had me scratching my head a lot. The last 20-25 minutes I was thoroughly confused as to what was happening and why. But it's been 15-20 years since I last watched it. Maybe now that I'm old and bitter I could untangle it.

But to be fair, this is hardly a minority opinion. "I was scared out of my mind but had no idea what was going on" seems to be a fairly common opinion of PHANTASM.

"...this low budget independent horror movie is a surprisingly shambolic affair whose moments of genuine invention stand out amid the prevailing incompetence." Phantasm, directed by Don Coscarelli | Film review

This review pretty perfectly sums up my own opinion of PHANTASM:

An incoherent but effective horror picture on the dreams-within-dreams theme as two teenagers discover that the local mausoleum is run by an extra-dimensional psychopath who has been killing people, shrinking their corpses into dwarf-sizes, stuffing them in yellow barrels, and shipping them back to his home world for revival as zombie labour.

It deliberately makes no sense, but it has more bizarro gimmicks to the minute than any other horror picture of 1979, including the flying silver balls that bore into your forehead and redistribute your blood all over the place through a sprinkler attachment. Angus Scrimm, cast as the Tall Man, is a monster worth his own glow-in-the-dark hobby kit.
Phantasm Review | Movie - Empire

Old 05-27-2016, 10:31 AM

I like Phantasm because it really is unlike any other horror film. It's a horror-fantasy premise. It also has a cool soundtrack by Fred Myrow & Malcolm Seagrave.

"More bizarre gimmicks to the minute than any other horror picture of 1979."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._films_of_1979

Multiple zombie, vampire, and slasher films, and the monster fish-themed Up From The Depths (remember that?).

Yeah, Phantasm really does stand out. The spheres rock!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I like Phantasm because it really is unlike any other horror film.
That isn't always a good thing.

I liked PHANTASM because it is genuinely creepy and scary. And yes, the masterful music is a big reason why. But it still makes no sense at all. Leaving an audience intrigued is a good thing. I hate it when a director seems to be spoon-feeding the audience. But there is a fine line between intrigue and confusion. PHANTASM left me more confused than intrigued.

Quote:
Multiple zombie, vampire, and slasher films, and the monster fish-themed Up From The Depths (remember that?).
Of course I do! If it was on SHOWTIME or HBO in the early '80s, I've seen it at least once --- and probably multiple times. I've even seen Tintorea and Humanoids from the Deep.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
That isn't always a good thing.
That's a separate discussion, dude!

But hey, Exhibit B:

...and if you've never seen it...DON'T!!!

Old 08-07-2016, 01:27 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,337,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Halloween is one of my favorite franchises. I do not like all the movies in the franchise, but I like many of them. I would rank them:

Halloween
Halloween 2
Halloween 4
Halloween 5
Halloween H2O

The rest I hated.

With John Carpenter on board, I am even more excited about Michael Meyers return to the big screen. Just please don't let Rob Zombie direct any more Halloween films. Those were awful.

From your lips to gods ears. I hated HATED Rob Zombies version of Halloween and what's worse(and I'm all for gore too) but he went over the top with gory scenes all in the name of his "art" gimme a break he just wanted the shock value...IMO he has no talent. And please please I wish he would leave his trailer park wife at home cooking meth instead of naked in his movies.

I loved John Carpenters Halloween movies. In fact I watch them countless times through the year but of course during Halloween. My favs are Halloween, Halloween 2, and H20, and Halloween 4. All have such amazing atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies