U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:02 AM

3,628 posts, read 1,281,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
It seems that the line between sequel and remake can be fuzzy.

Why do a simple remake? There is always room for improvement?

In Disney's case with Star Wars, it's "play it safe = get the keys to the Brinks truck."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 11:34 AM

12,955 posts, read 17,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Why do a simple remake? There is always room for improvement?
I would say "always" so much as "sometimes." I can think of several reasons to remake a movie:

1. Make a better movie. See my previous list.

2. Put a new spin on a previous movie. Good examples of this: THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, A BUG'S LIFE, A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, RAN, and the new PLANET OF THE APES movies. Or any time someone does a new movie based on Shakespeare.

3. Reinvigorate a dead or struggling franchise. Again, the new PLANET OF THE APES apply here. Or the STAR TREK reboots (which I actually dislike). Or Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN (which I found an admirable failure).

4. Milk the cash cow. This is the reason most studios do it.

There are certain classics that should never be touched except for perhaps Point 2 in the hands of a brilliant director. On that list I would put THE GODFATHER, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, JAWS, STAR WARS, CITIZEN KANE, TAXI DRIVER, and PSYCHO.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Or Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN (which I found an admirable failure).
Nothing admirable about it. It's a version made for millennials and ADD sufferers. Filmmakers continue to ignore that less is more, as we saw with the Star Wars prequels that did everything but show you how Darthkin manscapes. Two thumbs down!

Old 07-08-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Nothing admirable about it.
Sure there was. If you're going to do a remake, the first and foremost thing you should do is: Make it your own.

John Carpenter once wisely said that there are 2 types of horror stories: 1.) The horror is "out there." In the dark. Beyond the fire. As long as we stay together in the light, we'll be fine. 2.) The horror is "in here." In our midst. In the darkness of our hearts. But if we stick together and help each other and resist the darkness, we'll be fine.

Carpenter's HALLOWEEN was actually a Point 1 story that spent most of the movie masquerading as a Point 2 story. Loomis spends the whole movie telling everyone that Myers is not crazy. He's Evil. And you can hear the capital E every time he says it. As a result, most people find Loomis crazy. Until the last 2 minutes of the movie, which proves that Loomis has been right all along.

Zombie made a purely Point 2 movie. Myers was a psychopath, and the first half of the movie showed us how that happened. It did so very effectively. But then it stumbles into becoming a typical slasher flick, with several key moments in the story that make no sense at all.

Carpenter made a flawed masterpiece. Zombie made a severley flawed re-interpretation.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Zombie made a purely Point 2 movie. Myers was a psychopath, and the first half of the movie showed us how that happened. It did so very effectively. But then it stumbles into becoming a typical slasher flick, with several key moments in the story that make no sense at all.
And what are those? (Maybe I shouldn't ask, considering your tendency to overthink stuff...)

Quote:
Carpenter made a flawed masterpiece.
Try near-perfect. There's a reason Halloween is regarded by many if not most as the Greatest Slasher Film.

Quote:
Zombie made a purely Point 2 movie. Myers was a psychopath, and the first half of the movie showed us how that happened.
Which was completely unnecessary. When you do stuff like that, you do so at the expense of mystique (and I don't mean the naked blue-skinned chick).

Quote:
Zombie made a severely flawed re-interpretation.
No argument there.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
And what are those? (Maybe I shouldn't ask, considering your tendency to overthink stuff...)
It's been a long time since I've seen it. But I don't remember there ever being a reason given why Michael went home, how he found out Laurie was still alive, how he tracked her down or why he cared, why he decided to massacre all her friends, and one moment he's trying to save Laurie and the next he's trying to kill her. None of it made any sense.

Quote:
Try near-perfect. There's a reason Halloween is regarded by many if not most as the Greatest Slasher Film.
I would not disagree with that assessment. It is the greatest slasher film ever made. But it isn't without flaws. Every attempt at humor falls flat. ("I have a place for thaaaat.") And the Halloween night payoff doesn't quite live up to its build-up. The Halloween night murders are all pretty silly. And from a strictly practical point, I still find those damned palm trees in Illinois very distracting.

Quote:
Which was completely unnecessary. When you do stuff like that, you do so at the expense of mystique (and I don't mean the naked blue-skinned chick).
Carpenter made a movie about Elemental Evil, and did so brilliantly. Solid A work.

Zombie tried to make a movie about abuse, dysfunction, and psychological trauma. I give him an A+ for intention, a B for effort, and solid C for execution. I don't take off points for it being "not like the original." The whole point of a remake ought to be to make it different from the original.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
And from a strictly practical point, I still find those damned palm trees in Illinois very distracting.
Forgot all about that. Hey, maybe somebody planted 'em.

Quote:
I don't take off points for it being "not like the original." The whole point of a remake ought to be to make it different from the original.
Or it can simply be a matter of better writing/acting and execution/direction. The Hills Have Eyes remake is an elaboration. It's more violent (because it has to be), but it's more compelling all the way around. You actually root for the hero in a horror film, for once. I thought it was exceedingly well done, but I consider the original to be one of Wes Craven's lesser efforts. There was much to improve on.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Or it can simply be a matter of better writing/acting and execution/direction. The Hills Have Eyes remake is an elaboration. It's more violent (because it has to be), but it's more compelling all the way around. You actually root for the hero in a horror film, for once. I thought it was exceedingly well done, but I consider the original to be one of Wes Craven's lesser efforts. There was much to improve on.
I've never actually seen The Hills Have Eyes. I'm not a huge Wes Craven fan.

I really liked The Serpent and the Rainbow. I confess a nostalgic fondness for The Swamp Thing (a truly great bad movie). Everything else he ever did I found either bad or just meh. I only saw the first Scream movie, but it was just an homage to better filmmakers from beginning to end. I actually kinda hate the Freddy Krueger flicks.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:04 PM

1,978 posts, read 932,018 times
Independence Day is just awful, one of the worst movies I have ever stomached. Could not wait for it to end. Made by middle schoolers for grade schoolers.

Stay away if you are over 12. Stay away if your IQ is over 90. Best idea yet....stay away.

Can not believe how retarded this movie is. Almost everything in this movie is simply retarded.

If I got double my money back, I would still feel dis-satisfaction. Surprising considering how enjoyable the first one was.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:47 PM

21,591 posts, read 11,820,029 times
I saw it twice, it was a nice popcorn flick sequel that had to live up to an AMAZING epic blockbuster. I think they handled the world scope a bit better in this film honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies