U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 08:59 AM

7,984 posts, read 3,871,555 times

Advertisements

Saw this over the weekend. Man, it was pretty bad. I mean, I tried to just watch it for what it was, but not a very good movie.

Sure, fun way to spend two hours. But I wasn't happy that my wife and I paid $17 to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 08:51 AM

21,444 posts, read 11,532,275 times
I think the hate is sequelitis as well as you can't top the intellectual nature of the first. This was The Lost World to Independence Day's Jurassic Park, I still liked the movie but it wasn't one I loved. That said, I wasn't sure if I would expect [i]The Lost World[/ or Jurassic Park 3]. FYI, Jurassic Park 3 was a movie that I wish would have been destroyed in that Universal Studios fire a couple years back.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 AM

13,504 posts, read 16,675,341 times
I saw it.

It sucked.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:41 PM

1,978 posts, read 902,127 times
Sucked bad. Real bad.

I wonder if Data/Brent Spiner is a super smart guy who generates awful movie ideas. He had a hand in this mess....as well as Star Trek: Nemesis. I kind of enjoyed Nemesis but mostly because I am a trekkie. Nemesis has some very serious problems. Yet a masterpiece compared to this garbage known as Resurgence.

Resurgence made me feel like resurging my last meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I saw it.

It sucked.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM

7,984 posts, read 3,871,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Sucked so bad. Really really bad.
fixed that for ya

No wonder Will Smith didn't want any parts of this crap.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:02 PM

8,543 posts, read 10,959,315 times
It is moronic. it is one non stop cliche, line of brave pilots walking towards their planes included. Nothing matches and makes any sense. Special effects are not that great either.
I am VERY glad I watched it for free online.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:32 PM

1,978 posts, read 902,127 times
I read that Smith wanted 50 million. He would not have helped this mess too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
fixed that for ya

No wonder Will Smith didn't want any parts of this crap.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:33 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,058,809 times
I liked the deus ex golf ball.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:38 AM

758 posts, read 123,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
So I heard this movie has been bad reviews and still went to see it since I loved the first movie...and I must say that I don't get the hate. I mean it's not as good as the first one, but I still thought it was fun and I am looking forward to the sequel which the movie teases at the end. Basically the 3 biggest complaints about this movie I have heard are:

1. The pacing is too fast!

Ok so I admit this movie would have been better had it given us a bit more time to breath in-between action scenes and that it could have benefited from a fewer more "story moments", but I never felt confused or bored.

2. The characters are bland!

The old characters already got developed in the first movie so they don't need to spend too much time developing them. The new characters I did not care much for I admit so I guess this complaint is partially correct, but I did not care much honestly since I liked the old characters more anyway.

3. It's not as good as the first movie!

Fun fact: The first movie was also bashed into pieces at the time of it's release as well. It's only later that it started being seen as a good movie. I mean even the first movie was really just a dumb alien invasion movie as well just like this one, even if it's pacing may have been somewhat better. I still agree the first movie is better though, but that doesn't make this movie bad.

Only real problem I have with the film is that the alien's motivation for attacking other races doesn't really make sense (this isn't really a spoiler so don't worry). So they attack other races because they want to harvest their planet's core for fuel? Why not just harvest planets that aren't already populated so they don't need to go to war for them? Why do they need to harvest ONLY planets that are already owned by other races? What for? But that's the only real big problem I have with the plot honestly.

So yea, I don't get the hate :/

Anyone else thought the movie was at least ok and is looking forward to the sequel?

In my case the hate isn't about this movie specifically, it's about all the damn remakes that comprise the majority of films hitting screens lately!!

Old 08-14-2017, 05:15 AM

1,081 posts, read 503,146 times
#2 on the OP's list was the damning flaw in the sequel. All the original movie had going for it was dazzling effects and setpieces... and likable archetypal characters spouting one-liners and rousing speeches. The events in the sequel lacked any impact, the returning characters looked half-interested (Brent Spiner was entertaining), and you couldn't wait for the uncharismatic new characters to die off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies