Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:29 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,151 times

Advertisements

So I heard this movie has been bad reviews and still went to see it since I loved the first movie...and I must say that I don't get the hate. I mean it's not as good as the first one, but I still thought it was fun and I am looking forward to the sequel which the movie teases at the end. Basically the 3 biggest complaints about this movie I have heard are:

1. The pacing is too fast!

Ok so I admit this movie would have been better had it given us a bit more time to breath in-between action scenes and that it could have benefited from a fewer more "story moments", but I never felt confused or bored.

2. The characters are bland!

The old characters already got developed in the first movie so they don't need to spend too much time developing them. The new characters I did not care much for I admit so I guess this complaint is partially correct, but I did not care much honestly since I liked the old characters more anyway.

3. It's not as good as the first movie!

Fun fact: The first movie was also bashed into pieces at the time of it's release as well. It's only later that it started being seen as a good movie. I mean even the first movie was really just a dumb alien invasion movie as well just like this one, even if it's pacing may have been somewhat better. I still agree the first movie is better though, but that doesn't make this movie bad.

Only real problem I have with the film is that the alien's motivation for attacking other races doesn't really make sense (this isn't really a spoiler so don't worry). So they attack other races because they want to harvest their planet's core for fuel? Why not just harvest planets that aren't already populated so they don't need to go to war for them? Why do they need to harvest ONLY planets that are already owned by other races? What for? But that's the only real big problem I have with the plot honestly.

So yea, I don't get the hate :/

Anyone else thought the movie was at least ok and is looking forward to the sequel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 03:37 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
I can't hate ID2, because I haven't seen it. I didn't hate the first one either, but I didn't like it very much, which is why I have no desire to see the sequel. But "hate" ... ? No. "Complete indifference" would be more accurate.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:24 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I can't hate ID2, because I haven't seen it. I didn't hate the first one either, but I didn't like it very much, which is why I have no desire to see the sequel. But "hate" ... ? No. "Complete indifference" would be more accurate.
I hope the movie gets a sequel since I like the idea of another movie taking place in space.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I like the idea of another movie taking place in space.
Me too. But I have no interest in seeing any more movies by Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich. Their movies are just slightly less noisy and more funny (not always in a good way) than Michael Bay movies.

Put more space movies in the cinema from Ridley Scott or Chris Nolan or maybe even James Cameron and I'll get interested real quick.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:32 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
The resolution positively offended me. "Kill the queen" is so hackneyed it's a recognized movie trope. (Be extremely careful of that TV Trope site--it's an extraordinarily effective time-waster.) I saw that exact same ending, very nearly the same scene--kill the queen and all the warrior ships crash to the ground like an artillery barrage--just a few months ago in the finale of "Falling Skies." The laziness of that resolution is just offensive. At least in the first movie they introduced an interesting twist to the resolution of "War of the Worlds"--that probably took a whole afternoon to devise. The resolution of this film they just took wholesale from other sources and plugged it in.

The only funny line was Brent Spiner's "I'll get you to sickbay."

Old 06-27-2016, 09:26 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,096 times
Said trope was also used in The Avengers (2012). They just didn't bother with a Queen and used the "hive mind" excuse.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Said trope was also used in The Avengers (2012). They just didn't bother with a Queen and used the "hive mind" excuse.
To be fair though, the Avengers were obviously dealing with an idiot hive mind.

"Let's break our vast army through a dimensional portal and conquer the Earth!"

"Narft! Great idea! What's the best way to do that?"

"We'll disrupt traffic in downtown Manhattan."

Here is a cut scene from the movie, revealing the actual Chitauri leaders:

Old 06-27-2016, 02:37 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Independence Day: Resurgence | Official Trailer

Old 06-27-2016, 05:32 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I hope the movie gets a sequel since I like the idea of another movie taking place in space.
So we will have a chance to remake Starship Troopers

I was hoping that the African warlord going to get the last blow in. I guess that market isn't as big as the Chinese market.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:03 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
my brother called me last night and he said what a stinker he and my cousin went to see it cause the wives were hosting the grandkids bday party so he wanted outta the house LOL . They thought hey movie LOL he said it was such a disappointment . He said he should have gone and seen the shallows . I did tell him LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies