Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:33 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times

Advertisements

Sony apparently had plans to remake the 1981 Bill Murray comedy " Stripes". Not only that, but they had wanted to use the current "Ghostbusters" cast with Kristen Wiig as Janet Winger, Kate McKinnon as Rosyln Zalysnki, Leslie Jones as Sgt. Hulka , Melissa McCarthy as Dee Oxberger, " OX" and Cecily Strong as Captain Stillman. The plot was centered around an all female military combat unit that inadvertently gets sent to Iraq and many of the platoon gets captured by ISIS fighters. The plan may be on hold now while they wait and see how Ghostbusters does at the box office. I don't see how it could fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 07:29 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Kind of late and pointless since in the real world all units will be gender integrated. So the difference will be the three recruits who train themselves find a couple of boy toy MPs and they drive around an Islamic State territory without a veil in a RV?

Old 07-14-2016, 11:05 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Sony apparently had plans to remake the 1981 Bill Murray comedy " Stripes". Not only that, but they had wanted to use the current "Ghostbusters" cast with Kristen Wiig as Janet Winger, Kate McKinnon as Rosyln Zalysnki, Leslie Jones as Sgt. Hulka , Melissa McCarthy as Dee Oxberger, " OX" and Cecily Strong as Captain Stillman. The plot was centered around an all female military combat unit that inadvertently gets sent to Iraq and many of the platoon gets captured by ISIS fighters. The plan may be on hold now while they wait and see how Ghostbusters does at the box office. I don't see how it could fail.
All women unit?? What is this the secretarial pool?

Old 07-14-2016, 11:15 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
They already did Private Benjamin around the same time. They won't do it again.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:31 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
"Leslie Jones as Sergeant Hulka"...just because she's tall and loud doesn't mean she'll do the role justice. Warren Oates was perfect. He was sarcastic and smarmy, but reined it in when required. I haven't seen Jones do subtle and I'm not sure she can. McCarthy's just about worn out her welcome, too. Her range is zip.

Does Hollywood need fresh ideas? I have some, but they won't come cheap.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:43 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post

Old 07-14-2016, 02:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
"Stripes" was a juvenile, dumb film made highly enjoyable by the talents of Bill Murray. A remake without Murray seems a pointless endeavor.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:31 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
On the one hand, this is a remake that no one is asking for.

On the other hand, STRIPES isn't nearly as good as you probably remember it. Is is brilliant all through boot camp. But once the guys graduate and they get into the whole RV assault vehicle plot line, the story falls to pieces. Acts 1 and 2 are genius. Act 3 totally fumbles.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:35 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
"Leslie Jones as Sergeant Hulka"...just because she's tall and loud doesn't mean she'll do the role justice. Warren Oates was perfect. He was sarcastic and smarmy, but reined it in when required. I haven't seen Jones do subtle and I'm not sure she can.
I don't know who Leslie Jones is and don't care enough to Google the name. But absolutely no one will ever fill Warren Oates's boots. He was one of The Greats. Even when he was playing an unlikeable character --- which he usually was --- he was so good that you couldn't help but like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
McCarthy's just about worn out her welcome, too. Her range is zip.
I think McCarthy must be getting spectacularly bad advice from her agent or manager or whoever. Someone sure seems set on turning her in to a female Chris Farley. But McCarthy actually does have range and can be quite good in the right role. She was fantastic on Gilmore Girls, and really, really good in St. Vincent.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:06 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't know who Leslie Jones is and don't care enough to Google the name.
Yes, you do. You've seen the promos for the new Ghostbusters. She's the big girl. She towers over McCarthy, McKinnon and Wiig.

Quote:
But absolutely no one will ever fill Warren Oates's boots. He was one of The Greats. Even when he was playing an unlikeable character --- which he usually was --- he was so good that you couldn't help but like him.
Four words: Race with the Devil.

Quote:
I think McCarthy must be getting spectacularly bad advice from her agent or manager or whoever. Someone sure seems set on turning her in to a female Chris Farley. But McCarthy actually does have range and can be quite good in the right role. She was fantastic on Gilmore Girls, and really, really good in St. Vincent.
St. Vincent's a great movie, and yes, she's good in it...but is that a role only Melissa could've done? Hardly.

Gilmore Girls...come on, who watches that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies