Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 06:47 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Your comment becomes clearer with a little research.

Just to put your movie going advice into context, I see that you've posted a couple times in the what is the last movie you have watched? thread. Which movies that came out in 2016 have you seen, and which did you like or dislike?

All of the 2016 films that I've seen to date, all 16, have all been rated in the aforementioned thread - so people know where I come from.
I didn't give any movie-going advice - I stated that I think a film that tries to stretch out the tale of a six-minute flight that landed safely into a biopic by padding it with details about an impressive man who has nevertheless lived a not-particularly-fascinating life sounds like an uninteresting movie.

This, the fact that I think this sounds like a boring film, apparently bothers you. But unable to counter my point - after all, how does one counter a subjective opinion, and why would anyone even want to do so, given the nature of subjective opinions? - you bizarrely try and turn the discussion to my posting history, as if that is remotely relevant.

It's not. At all.

I offered my two cents. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that you seem to think the film sounds interesting. And if you can't handle the fact that others have other ideas about what constitutes an enjoyable cinematic experience, that's your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 07:15 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,135,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This, the fact that I think this sounds like a boring film, apparently bothers you. But unable to counter my point - after all, how does one counter a subjective opinion, and why would anyone even want to do so, given the nature of subjective opinions? - you bizarrely try and turn the discussion to my posting history, as if that is remotely relevant.

It's not. At all.
It's curious that many of your posts are in Politics and Other Controversies , and there are those on the left that pan Eastwood because of his public comments and actions. That's it. It's curious. The Jury is still out. If the shoe fits.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:38 AM

23,586 posts, read 70,350,712 times
I saw it on Friday. It is a decent movie, worth watching. There is no high drama, there are no histrionics, the outcome is a forgone conclusion. If there are points to be made, those are about media coverage of events and the workings of review boards (aka second guessers with agendas).

As someone who gave up flying before 9/11 because of the way airlines treat passengers, the most anxiety causing moment in the film was the shot of walking down the aisle of a full plane with minimal room for people. Eggs in cartons have more space.

For me, the fun part of the film was watching a story of a true professional in action, a person who did everything right and had grace under extreme pressure. Those stories don't often make it to the big screen anymore.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
...the outcome is a forgone conclusion.
Not for me. I didn't know if there were any repercussions that affected his career.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:28 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Seems like a ridiculous and very boring concept for a movie.

Bird strike, plane lands safely, the end.
That would disqualify Apollo 13 as being worth seeing as well. Yes, we know the outcome. So?

Saw it last night, rather liked it - not a huge lot of plot twists, obviously, but still well worth the price of admission. Glad to see other people involved in the rescue get their moment as well - the NYPD, the ferry captains and particularly the First Officer. It's not a groundbreaking movie, obviously, but Eastwood knows his craft and the actors delivered.

One thing I found really well depicted was the contrast between the life-and-death tension during the rescue and the completely mundane everyday details following immediately after - coming down from an adrenaline high like that and suddenly being in a nondescript hotel corridor worrying about dry clothes for the next day.

Stay for the credits.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Glad to see other people involved in the rescue get their moment as well - the NYPD, the ferry captains and particularly the First Officer.
And FDNY, and the Red Cross, and the rescue swimmers, and the Coast Guard, and everyone else who assisted with the aftermath.

Seems post traumatic stress was the least of the pilot and co-pilots worries after the event.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:19 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In reading some of the reviews, I was surprised there was an investigation that actually focused on the Captain's course of actions. Sure, I was familiar with the story because it was huge news at the time, but didn't really follow the story much after.
Same here.

I saw the movie on Friday, the day it came out, and it was amazing! Definitely my favorite money so far this year, and one of the few that didn't disappoint in some way.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:25 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Seems like a ridiculous and very boring concept for a movie.

Bird strike, plane lands safely, the end.
It's heroic! A very moving story. And who can't appreciate good news, now and then, for an exciting change of pace?

Plus, it looks from the trailer and the reviews like it's about the emotional side of the experience for Sully; how stressful the ordeal was, how he struggled to stay focused and not panic, the Post-Traumatic Stress afterward that we never heard about in the aftermath of the publicity, the criticism of his decisions by insurance and aviation officials, and how that affected him. There's an untold side to the story, and this film aims to tell it, from what I gather. Hanks is very good with that type of psychological portrayal; his expressions in the trailer remind me of his work in the film, "Cast Away".

In any case, I plan to see it in a couple of hours, later this evening. I'll report back.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:17 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,362,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Your comment becomes clearer with a little research.

Just to put your movie going advice into context, I see that you've posted a couple times in the what is the last movie you have watched? thread. Which movies that came out in 2016 have you seen, and which did you like or dislike?

All of the 2016 films that I've seen to date, all 16, have all been rated in the aforementioned thread - so people know where I come from.
You watched 16 movies from 2016 on purpose?

Old 09-11-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
You watched 16 movies from 2016 on purpose?
That was almost 2 months ago. I'm up to thirty two.

I did better in 2014:

2016 - 32
2015 - 62
2014 - 77
2013 - 40
2012 - 24
2011 - 28
2010 - 22
2009 - 28
2008 - 22

^ All of which is to date. Many I have not gotten around to adding to the list. Not enough tine in the day to keep track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies