Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:32 AM

12,296 posts, read 8,013,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Idris Alba didn't get much "face time".
There does to seem to be a lot of that in genre movies. Putting the big name behind so much mask that the actor is irrelevant. But in order to draw customers you get an Idris Elba when you could hire any actor off of the street to play "Jason" or Krall in this case with the same dramatic effect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 08:17 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,938,916 times
I don't think Trek fans decided to go because it has Idris Elba. I don't think they just had to see the girl with the paint job face either. They want Kirk, Spock, Bones, Sula etc.

This is a possible theory: Producer/writer whatever noticed that Star Wars had obscene #1 success. Thought a white girl who can outduel Kylo Ren and outfly Hans Solo and a black co-star helps = Box Office Super Stardom. Since Beyond is under performing what the numbers say it should be at....this theory is failing...assuming there is some truth to it.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:19 AM

28,576 posts, read 18,599,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
There does to seem to be a lot of that in genre movies. Putting the big name behind so much mask that the actor is irrelevant. But in order to draw customers you get an Idris Elba when you could hire any actor off of the street to play "Jason" or Krall in this case with the same dramatic effect
I agree. Elba was wasted in this movie, and it wasn't just a matter of makeup. He was better used even in Zootopia and The Jungle Book. This movie just didn't give him much to do in the role itself.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:21 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,287,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
"Jason" never had to act. Krall did. Therein lies the difference. I don't get into "buzz" much so I didn't know it was Alba when I sat down. I thought whomever was doing the character was doing a great job.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I don't think Trek fans decided to go because it has Idris Elba. I don't think they just had to see the girl with the paint job face either. They want Kirk, Spock, Bones, Sula etc.

This is a possible theory: Producer/writer whatever noticed that Star Wars had obscene #1 success. Thought a white girl who can outduel Kylo Ren and outfly Hans Solo and a black co-star helps = Box Office Super Stardom. Since Beyond is under performing what the numbers say it should be at....this theory is failing...assuming there is some truth to it.
Star Wars no more needed a white girl and a black guy than Star Trek needed Idris Elba. They both had engaged fan bases that were not attracted by any new characters, but by the old characters.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:22 PM

18,131 posts, read 15,532,935 times
Quote:
^^^Dude....I am at least 6'4". I can't go waif if my life depended on it.
Sorry. supposed to say wait and see. Using a new typin program that's driving me nuts to getused to.It keeps changing words on me. . Really butchers up stuff.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:00 PM

True enough....though Lukes six seconds was simply that.

I don't think many people seen the latest Star Wars becoming the #1 movie. It simply wasn't that good. Sure....people enjoyed it. However...they were not blown away to the likes of Avatar.

Which leaves some people wondering....what exactly drove that extra 50% to see the latest Star Wars. I think the timing was impeccable. People were thirsty for another solid Star Wars adventure. Especially after the relative stinkers that had been getting served up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Star Wars no more needed a white girl and a black guy than Star Trek needed Idris Elba. They both had engaged fan bases that were not attracted by any new characters, but by the old characters.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:10 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,287,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sorry. supposed to say wait and see. Using a new typin program that's driving me nuts to getused to.It keeps changing words on me. . Really butchers up stuff.
There should be a way to turn autocorrect off. I had that battle with Android recently.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
True enough....though Lukes six seconds was simply that.

I don't think many people seen the latest Star Wars becoming the #1 movie. It simply wasn't that good. Sure....people enjoyed it. However...they were not blown away to the likes of Avatar.

Which leaves some people wondering....what exactly drove that extra 50% to see the latest Star Wars. I think the timing was impeccable. People were thirsty for another solid Star Wars adventure. Especially after the relative stinkers that had been getting served up.
Timing is a problem form STB. No, it's not a #1 blockbuster in its own right, but frankly, none of the Trek movies has been an Avatar or Titanic. STB is one of the better Trek Movies, but it's suffered from being followed up by Jason Bourne (which has its own faithful following) and Suicide Squad (which, being part of the DCU, also has a built-in following).

From the reviews I've seen, neither Bourne nor Suicide Squad are as innately enjoyable as STB. Bourne has already experienced the "second weekend dive" and Suicide Squad probably will as well.

I've personally been a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars since their inceptions (50 years and 39 years respectively), and I've never missed the first weekend theatrical release of any of their movies. I plan never to miss the first weekend as long as I'm able to climb onto my walker and toddle to the theater.

But I can accept those movies as being no more than "two hours of good entertainment," and if I only watch them in the theater that one time, that's fine.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:54 PM

Shootings...terrorist attacks...BLM...RNC...DNC...Bourne...S Squad...Olympics...Zika. Yep....tough competition.

I also wonder about the impact of Chekovs death....Anton Yelchin....crushing news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies