Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 07:50 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This is the first Star Trek movie in 20 years I won't see in the theater. The last movie was a mess, and this one looks messier. I'll catch it on DVD some day.
I liked Beyond better than Darkness.

I enjoyed it. And I'm always expecting to be disappointed.

Unlike that ungodly mess Star Wars movie, I was not bored for one second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 11:13 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,932,726 times
The amazing success of the latest Star Wars movie is kind of mind boggling. It isn't even a great movie. Nor is it a special movie. It is simply a good movie.

Should have done about 150 million domestic box office. However...it is Star Wars.

I do not plan on seeing this years reboot. A line must be drawn in the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I liked Beyond better than Darkness.

I enjoyed it. And I'm always expecting to be disappointed.

Unlike that ungodly mess Star Wars movie, I was not bored for one second.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:17 PM

14,613 posts, read 17,299,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I liked Beyond better than Darkness. I enjoyed it. And I'm always expecting to be disappointed.
Why is it doing so poorly at the boxoffice? What happened to this franchise? I think they expected it to grow, and this third one may just barely break even!

Domestic Box Office by end of 2nd weekend
$147.6m Star Trek (Budget: $150 million)
$146.1m Star Trek Into Darkness (Budget: $190 million)
$105.7m Star Trek Beyond (Budget: $185 million)

Box Office Final Numbers
Star Trek (Budget: $150 million) Dom:$257,730,019+ Foreign: $127,950,427= Worldwide: $385,680,446
Star Trek Into Darkness (Budget: $190 million) Dom: $228,778,661+ Foreign: $238,602,808= Worldwide: $467,381,469

NOTE about breaking even
The studio collects almost 50% of the domestic box office. For each foreign country they collect different amounts, but never as much as 50%. China is particularly low percentage, but that is increasingly being made up by the sheer numbers of theater goers.

No one really knows which films make money as promotion costs are different, and ancillary sales of merchandising can be huge. We all assume Frozen made a small fortune selling items to parents of little girls.

Unofficially a movie is said to break even if it's domestic revenue equals it's production budget. The first Star Trek had a $150m budget, and domestic revenue of around $258m. Now the studio only get's half of the $258m, but it makes money on foreign boxoffice and on Streaming, DVD and Blue Ray sales, television and cable rights, plus product placement, etc.

The second movie had a $40 million increase in budget, but domestic boxoffice went down. Disappointing, but not terrible!

But the third one probably won't have domestic revenue reach as high as $185m. How it does on foreign market will take a long time to get full data.

Ticket sales may not even reach the 1991 movie that ended the movies for the first cast from the 1960's TV series.

Release Date: July 22, 2016 Star Trek Beyond Total Est. Tickets: 12,110,000 In Release: 10 days
Release Date: Dec 6, 1991 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Total Est. Tickets: 17,895,700
Release Date: Dec 13, 2002 Star Trek: Nemesis Total Est. Tickets: 7,360,300

Old 08-01-2016, 03:56 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,574,167 times
The foreign take is typically 25% except for China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Unofficially a movie is said to break even if it's domestic revenue equals it's production budget. The first Star Trek had a $150m budget, and domestic revenue of around $258m. Now the studio only get's half of the $258m, but it makes money on foreign boxoffice and on Streaming, DVD and Blue Ray sales, television and cable rights, plus product placement, etc.
I thought the domestic take had to be double the production to break even.

If Star Trek Beyond's production budget is 185 million, then I'd safely assume its break-even point is somewhere in the neighborhood of 350-380 million (not sure how much they spent on marketing). Right now, its worldwide cume is $161.2 million. Domestic is nowhere near 185. That's not good.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice grossed 870 million worldwide, but there were articles suggesting it had to hit 925 million to make a profit. Personally, I didn't believe that.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:01 PM

14,613 posts, read 17,299,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I thought the domestic take had to be double the production to break even.
The studio gets half of the domestic revenue, and the other half goes to the cinema chain. The Cinema can't make a profit on half the box office and depends on snack purchases where they have a high margin to make a profit.

Most movies can't make double their production budget from domestic revenue alone. Of course, one of the greatest financial successes this year was Deadpool, with a Production Budget= $58 million, it returned Domestic $363m and Foreign $419.5m.

Like I said, the rough rule of thumb is that if domestic revenue equals production budget, the studio is halfway there. It is assumed that they can make the other half on foreign sales and ancillary revenue from Blue Ray, DVD, TV and Streaming, etc. Accounting details will always remain secrets.

But Batman v Superman probably cost a lot more to market than your ordinary film. The PB=$250m, and Domestic: $330m + Foreign:$542m = Worldwide: $872.7m . So by conventional wisdom it should have broken even.

Last year, only Tomorrowland and Terminator: Genisys were big boxoffice disappointments. Usually after a good year, the budgets creep up the next year. So 2016 the budgets were generally higher, but catastrophes to poor performers, led by "Gods of Egypt" with a $140 milliion budget are much more numerous this year.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
The studio gets half of the domestic revenue, and the other half goes to the cinema chain. The Cinema can't make a profit on half the box office and depends on snack purchases where they have a high margin to make a profit.
That's why I said to double the domestic to guesstimate the break-even point. If a movie cost $100 to make, and it grosses $200 million domestically, the studio's close to getting its initial 100M back after the theaters get their take. Don't forget taxes, yes, TAXES!

Quote:
Like I said, the rough rule of thumb is that if domestic revenue equals production budget, the studio is halfway there. It is assumed that they can make the other half on foreign sales and ancillary revenue from Blue Ray, DVD, TV and Streaming, etc. Accounting details will always remain secrets.
Almost always, but here are a couple examples that show how Amazing Spider-Man 2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past netted only a 12-13% return, respectively.

https://weminoredinfilm.com/2015/03/...e-past-is-not/

Here's an even more detailed breakdown of ASM2.

‘Amazing Spider-Man 2’s Profit In 2014: Big Budget Didn’t Pay Off | Deadline

There are other examples on Deadline, like Godzilla, Interstellar and Divergent. For example, Godzilla looks like it netted a bit less, but Legendary spent 170 million less on the movie, overall.

Quote:
But Batman v Superman probably cost a lot more to market than your ordinary film. The PB=$250m, and Domestic: $330m + Foreign:$542m = Worldwide: $872.7m . So by conventional wisdom it should have broken even.
BvS also got a big boost from Turkish Airlines. It's also #1 in home video, second only to The Force Awakens in recent Blu-ray/DVD/digital sales with 7 of every 10 physical copies sold.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:26 PM

22,836 posts, read 28,065,210 times
"Box office receipts" have little basis in reality. A movie will make as much --- or as little --- as the suits want it to make.

How Hollywood Accounting Can Make a $450 Million Movie 'Unprofitable' - The Atlantic

Old 08-01-2016, 07:29 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,285,241 times
It was fun. I don't ask more than that.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark s. View Post
"box office receipts" have little basis in reality. A movie will make as much --- or as little --- as the suits want it to make.

how hollywood accounting can make a $450 million movie 'unprofitable' - the atlantic
"So: 'Return of the Jedi' is a $475 million lemonade stand."

Old 08-02-2016, 07:48 AM

22,836 posts, read 28,065,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
"So: 'Return of the Jedi' is a $475 million lemonade stand."
In the hands of the Lucasfilm accountants, yes it is. It could make $10 billion tomorrow, and the accountants would still find a way to make it unprofitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies