U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2016, 01:51 PM
 
15,044 posts, read 7,496,271 times
Reputation: 14032

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Montalban's Kahn was rather cartoonish, what with the fake-looking chest and all.
Well, he was an antagonist to James Tiberius Kirk, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2016, 02:07 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
6,388 posts, read 4,745,395 times
Reputation: 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This is the first Star Trek movie in 20 years I won't see in the theater. The last movie was a mess, and this one looks messier. I'll catch it on DVD some day.
I was done with Star Trek movies after suffering Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 02:15 PM
 
3,628 posts, read 1,281,452 times
Reputation: 2075
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I was done with Star Trek movies after suffering Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
STIV:TVH is a better Trek film than III, V, VI, Generations, Insurrection, and Nemesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Michigan
1,348 posts, read 720,891 times
Reputation: 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Montalban's Kahn was rather cartoonish, what with the fake-looking chest and all.
You must be quite young, you've never seen any of his early roles back in the late '50's and in the '60's? Look it up, that chest was REAL Montalban all the way. That man was built in his day, and even at his age at the time, he still pulled the Superman look off.

It was all meant to be "over the top" old-school original Star Trek, and Khan and his people were from the 1990's Eugenics Wars, so he came across as slightly archaic at the time of the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 04:21 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
6,388 posts, read 4,745,395 times
Reputation: 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
STIV:TVH is a better Trek film than III, V, VI, Generations, Insurrection, and Nemesis.
III didn't measure up to II, but was far superior to that moronically silly IV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 04:31 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
3,287 posts, read 1,102,690 times
Reputation: 2122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, he was an antagonist to James Tiberius Kirk, after all.
And you two can't be related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 04:32 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
3,287 posts, read 1,102,690 times
Reputation: 2122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
You must be quite young, you've never seen any of his early roles back in the late '50's and in the '60's? Look it up, that chest was REAL Montalban all the way. That man was built in his day, and even at his age at the time, he still pulled the Superman look off.

It was all meant to be "over the top" old-school original Star Trek, and Khan and his people were from the 1990's Eugenics Wars, so he came across as slightly archaic at the time of the movie.
I'm 65. Not that I bothered watching his work.

And "old school" Star Trek is why I stopped watching it in the original series, two shows into season two. I like the new reboot, but the cheesy '60s stuff was find right alongside "Batman". POW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Michigan
1,348 posts, read 720,891 times
Reputation: 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I think Cumberbatch's khan was one of the best villains I have ever seen on screen. Did you notice in his scenes that he doesn't even blink? I watch his scenes and realize how painful that must have been. Did he really not match up to that other guy who played khan in the 70s?.

He was good/ok, but NO, I don't think he even matched Montalban's Khan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Southern Colorado
1,978 posts, read 932,018 times
Reputation: 2361
Where is this from? Don't recall seeing this and I am on year 7. BTW.....they ran out of good ideas during year 7. Some of the shows are real cringe worthy WTF experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Picard got a dune buggy. Because ... I don't know. It makes no sense at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2016, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Maine
12,954 posts, read 17,616,938 times
Reputation: 14058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Where is this from? Don't recall seeing this and I am on year 7. BTW.....they ran out of good ideas during year 7. Some of the shows are real cringe worthy WTF experiences.
It was in one of the NextGen movies. Can't remember which one. The one where Data died, I think. But I'm not sure. The movie was so unbelievably bad that I turned it off halfway through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top