U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:22 AM

2,979 posts, read 968,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It was in one of the NextGen movies. Can't remember which one. The one where Data died, I think.
Star Trek: Nemesis, the last of the TNG movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 08:41 AM

1,978 posts, read 848,529 times
It may take a very long time but I expect that someday we will develop the ability to explore space beyond the next 500 million miles or so.

Seems like it will be quite dangerous. Space is a pretty hostile environment with no rescue possibilities.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:10 AM

12,369 posts, read 17,004,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
It may take a very long time but I expect that someday we will develop the ability to explore space beyond the next 500 million miles or so.

Seems like it will be quite dangerous. Space is a pretty hostile environment with no rescue possibilities.
Yup. And when that day comes, I seriously doubt the crew will be zipping about in dune buggies and motorcycles. Especially in an age of anti-gravity.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Yup. And when that day comes, I seriously doubt the crew will be zipping about in dune buggies and motorcycles. Especially in an age of anti-gravity.
Now, about those AT-ATs...

Old 07-18-2016, 10:16 AM

13,846 posts, read 6,754,421 times
Quote:
I think Heinlein's "Tunnel in the Sky" and "Firefly" may have it right...there will be spaceships and simultaneously on many planets still beasts of burden.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:14 PM

12,369 posts, read 17,004,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Now, about those AT-ATs...
Preachin to the choir.

That said ... the rules are different for STAR WARS, because STAR WARS isn't science fiction. It is unabashed Fantasy in space. It has more in common with Camelot than Clarke. STAR TREK is science fiction. I expect more smart out of STAR TREK.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:17 PM

3,287 posts, read 968,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think Heinlein's "Tunnel in the Sky" and "Firefly" may have it right...there will be spaceships and simultaneously on many planets still beasts of burden.
In Time Enough For Love he had settlers using modified mules on a new planet. They were able to reproduce and had higher intelligence than the originals, and could speak to some extent. "Shupper dime!"

Old 07-18-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
That said ... the rules are different for STAR WARS, because STAR WARS isn't science fiction. It is unabashed Fantasy in space. It has more in common with Camelot than Clarke.
Correctamundo.

Quote:
STAR TREK is science fiction. I expect more smart out of STAR TREK.
Same here. That's why Into Darkness was so disappointing. Beaming all the way up to a distant planet was really stretching it, and rendered other goings-on pointless.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:02 PM

3,287 posts, read 968,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post

Same here. That's why Into Darkness was so disappointing. Beaming all the way up to a distant planet was really stretching it, and rendered other goings-on pointless.
A cowboy movie in space had points?

Old 07-18-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
A cowboy movie in space had points?
Exactly. It was a western in space, which is territory best left to Star Wars. We don't want/need that in Trek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies