Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 06:12 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I really like the new Star Treks. I would have seen this one even if rotten tomatoes was mean to it.

I LOVED the Star Trek Into Darkness, but everyone from the Wrath of Khan generation seemed to hate it with a passion. I wasn't even born before Wrath of Khan so I didn't have that movie affecting my perception of the current films.
Old time Trekkie here, and I like the new movies also, including "Into Darkness".

That said, NO ONE can replace Ricardo Montalban, and his acting as Khan. He nailed it so perfectly, it's just not possible for the average fan-boy to look past that.

It's like replacing Tim Curry as Pennywise. Much as the old tv movie was ok, but could have been far better, Tim just NAILED it as the evil clown...

When a particular actor absolutely DEFINES a character, we tend to imprint that on our minds, and we just can't easily see past that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 07:17 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
I think the new cast is almost perfect though Captain Kirk still looks too young to be the Captain.

2009 Star Trek was a huge treat. Into Darkness was a bit of a letdown to me since I had looked forward to seeing a lot of the new cast.

Thinking this movie will do quite well. Definitely worth the theater experience.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:35 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I think the new cast is almost perfect though Captain Kirk still looks too young to be the Captain.

2009 Star Trek was a huge treat. Into Darkness was a bit of a letdown to me since I had looked forward to seeing a lot of the new cast.

Thinking this movie will do quite well. Definitely worth the theater experience.
Not by the new canon. He was in the academy and the fleet was mobilized. I guess the best real world example would be General Custer in the US War Between The States.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:21 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
They all get my money.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:40 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They all get my money.
Looks at poster's name...

Ok, but of course they do.

Aren't you Captain Kirk's great, great, great, great, great, great, grandfather?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:35 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Old time Trekkie here, and I like the new movies also, including "Into Darkness".

That said, NO ONE can replace Ricardo Montalban, and his acting as Khan. He nailed it so perfectly, it's just not possible for the average fan-boy to look past that.

It's like replacing Tim Curry as Pennywise. Much as the old tv movie was ok, but could have been far better, Tim just NAILED it as the evil clown...

When a particular actor absolutely DEFINES a character, we tend to imprint that on our minds, and we just can't easily see past that.
I think Cumberbatch's khan was one of the best villains I have ever seen on screen. Did you notice in his scenes that he doesn't even blink? I watch his scenes and realize how painful that must have been. Did he really not match up to that other guy who played khan in the 70s?.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:55 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Not by the new canon. He was in the academy and the fleet was mobilized. I guess the best real world example would be General Custer in the US War Between The States.
One of many brevets during the war. The Confederate military had the most, of course, but technically they weren't brevets because the South chose to make them permanent in anticipation of having a military for a long time.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:50 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I think Cumberbatch's khan was one of the best villains I have ever seen on screen. Did you notice in his scenes that he doesn't even blink? I watch his scenes and realize how painful that must have been. Did he really not match up to that other guy who played khan in the 70s?.
Cumberbatch is an excellent actor, but he didn't redefine the role Ricardo Montalban is famous for. Montalban owns that role. It's not entirely Cumberbatch's fault. He had a subpar script to work from. JJ was making Star Wars movies. Then he finally got to go make one with the actual words Star Wars.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:54 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Cumberbatch is an excellent actor, but he didn't redefine the role Ricardo Montalban is famous for. Montalban owns that role. It's not entirely Cumberbatch's fault. He had a subpar script to work from. JJ was making Star Wars movies. Then he finally got to go make one with the actual words Star Wars.
Montalban's Kahn was rather cartoonish, what with the fake-looking chest and all.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:15 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Can we visualize Captain Picard escaping from the Romulans on a dirt bike? Just doesn't seem natural.
Picard got a dune buggy. Because ... I don't know. It makes no sense at all.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies