Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM

7,128 posts, read 5,208,554 times

Advertisements

MEN:
The Sting
Wings (1927)
The Defiant Ones
The Mountains of the Moon
The Man Who Would Be King
Brian's Song ~ The original is so much better!

BOYS:
The Cure
The Mighty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 AM

8,221 posts, read 13,299,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I suppose the ultimate male bonding film would be Brokeback Mountain.
Hahaha....a bit too much bonding perhaps?

My kind of male bonding with a touch of sci-fi would be: Enemy Mine
Another good one is American Me. Arguably the most twisted male bonding was in Alive?

For my younger audiences: Only the Strong, Toy Soldiers, Stand By Me, Goonies, etc.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 AM

7,128 posts, read 5,208,554 times
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Actually, a number of versions of "Robinson Crusoe" would fit this, particularly the Pierce Brosnan film.

I can't believe I didn't recall "Enemy Mine"! Shame on me!

Old 01-08-2013, 01:20 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,766,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I was up really late last night to watch LA Confidential. The film raised some questions about male-bonding and how it is infrequently portrayed in films.

While tossing and turning I only came up with a few others, The Crying Game, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, and The Deer Hunter where some form of tenderness is displayed between or as in the case of LA Confidential among the male featured players. We often sense bravura, but tenderness often seems missing in many of the portrayals--a certain understanding that is shared by the characters that has either been aroused by pain, commonality, empathy or sympathy.

Can you think of other films that share this trait?

Or do you have any comments about my observaton?
Reading your post and not knowing some of those movies (I saw The Crying Game which was weird for me) I would need to hear more about the trait you are talking about. 3 films don't equal one trait in all guys.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:56 PM

15,444 posts, read 15,425,363 times
How infrequently it's portrayed in films?

How about female bonding? Now, that's infrequent.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,498,772 times
Ummm.....Brokeback Mountain?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM

37,729 posts, read 40,764,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Another movie that speaks well of male bounding is Ordinary People. The final scene between Calvin and Conrad (father and son) really depicts the capacity to be vulnerable. It was particularly poignant as the film ended with their loving embrace. As it panned out, they looked as if they were sculptured together.
On a similar type note, how about Rain Man?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:54 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,994,134 times
There's tenderness between Will Munney (Clint) and his running mate Ned (Morgan Freeman) in Unforgiven.
And then there's real serious male bonding in The Hangover:

"You guys may not know this, but I consider myself…a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one man wolf pack. But when my sister brought Doug home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack, it grew by one. So we're two…so there was two of us in the pack. I…I was alone first in the pack, and then Doug joined in later.

And 6 months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys. I thought…wait a second, could it be? And now I know for sure, I just added 2 more guys to my wolf pack. 4 of us wolves running around the desert together, in Las Vegas looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, we make a toast!"

Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM

8,221 posts, read 13,299,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
How infrequently it's portrayed in films?

How about female bonding? Now, that's infrequent.
Charlie's Angels, Thelma & Louise, Bad Girls, Witches of Eastwick, Now and Then....

Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,622,468 times
True life male bonding is making fun of each other, putting each other down, slap boxing, getting drunk, and calling each other names. They do make movies like this. Off the top of my head, anything with adam sandler, david spade, sean william scott, will ferrell etc. etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies