U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:36 PM

2,520 posts, read 815,779 times

Advertisements

The first Mortal Kombat is actually a fun movie with some great action. Robin Shou (who played Liu Kang) should've had a much bigger career. Cool guy, too. Met him when he screened his documentary Red Trousers at the San Diego Con.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:45 AM

Deathstroke Will Be Main Villain in Ben Affleck's 'The Batman'

Quote:
Deathstroke Will Be Main Villain in Ben Affleck’s Batman Movie (Exclusive)

Ben Affleck wasn’t just teasing: Deathstroke will, in fact, be the main antagonist of the Batman standalone movie he’s directing, TheWrap has exclusively learned from an individual with knowledge of the situation.

Earlier this morning, the actor who plays the Dark Knight posted a cryptic tweet of the new villain walking toward the camera in very cinematic fashion, which sent fanboys into a frenzy of speculation.

Deathstroke was created by Marv Wolfman and George Perez. He is a mercenary and assassin who first appeared in The New Teen Titans #2 back in 1980. Wizard magazine rated him the 24th greatest villain of all time.

Also, in 2009, Deathstroke was ranked as IGN’s 32nd greatest comic book villain of all time. Deathstroke, or commonly referred to as Deathstroke the Terminator or simply Slade, is known to be the greatest assassin in all of DC Comics. He has encountered Batman on several occasions in the comics.

Their first encounter was in the 1991 Deathstroke standalone DC comic in the story arc “City of Assassins” where Deathstroke pounded Batman to a bloody pulp.

Suspicions arose that we would be seeing Deathstroke in the DC Cinematic universe when “Arrow” creator Marc Guggenheim was asked earlier this year why Deathsroke wasn’t returning to the television series. “The character of Slade Wilson is currently tied up in another DC project. Walter is more likely,” he said in a Tumblr post.
Pssst...Mark...don't even try to spin this. This is awesome news.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 AM

It looks like the previous rumor of Joe Manganiello playing Deathstroke is now more or less confirmed. He's in London. And he just followed Zack on Twitter.

It also means the script for The Batman should be more or less finished.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:31 AM

12,160 posts, read 16,632,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Pssst...Mark...don't even try to spin this. This is awesome news.
My only knowledge of Deathstroke is from TV's ARROW. He came in to comics after I was out, then when I came back in, he wasn't a big thing. So he somehow escaped by radar.

But my son is excited by this. So yay, I guess.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
My only knowledge of Deathstroke is from TV's ARROW. He came in to comics after I was out, then when I came back in, he wasn't a big thing. So he somehow escaped by radar.
1980? Didn't you say something about your parents not letting you watch Risky Business on cable?

Old 08-29-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
1980? Didn't you say something about your parents not letting you watch Risky Business on cable?
Yeah, but I was a total Marvel snob until the late '90s. And even when I started reading DC, I read almost nothing but the Batverse. I read most of the Batbooks from about the earthquake era up until Grant Morrison ruined the books.

If Deathstroke was a thing in the Batverse then, I sure don't remember it. David Cain? Black Mask? Lady Shiva? The classic rogues gallery? Yeah, I remember all of those. But if Deathstroke was a major Batvillain back then, it has somehow been erased from my memory banks. I only know Deathstroke from the ARROW TV show, the first 3 seasons of which were pretty obviously more inspired by Batman than Green Arrow.

So should we start a pool now to see who kills more people in the next movie --- Batman or Deathstroke?

Last edited by Mark S.; 08-29-2016 at 02:02 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but I was a total Marvel snob until the late '90s.

A Marvel Zombie! I knew it. I'm glad I never had that problem. I read Marvel (Frank Miller's Daredevil was my single favorite ongoing, till he left), DC, Pacific, First, Red Circle, Heavy Metal, Epic illustrated (published by Marvel/Epic), as many of the Warren mags (Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella, The Rook, 1984/1994) as I could get my hands on, and then I got into other independents (Spaced and Ismet are great forgotten small press titles), with the best being Elfquest (I never got into Cerebus or A Distant Soil). I also read The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Death Rattle, Last Gasp and Slow Death. And some stuff by that Crumb guy.

If you read no DC in the '80s, you also missed Vigilante. That was another awesome title.

Quote:
And even when I started reading DC, I read almost nothing but the Batverse. I read most of the Batbooks from about the earthquake era up until Grant Morrison ruined the books.
Ouch! Actually, I wasn't reading any ongoing title at the time he was writing Batman. I was reading GNs and horror and picking up Bronze Age back issues, collections, and more undergrounds. I restarted in the 2000s.

Quote:
If Deadshot was a thing in the Batverse then, I sure don't remember it. David Cain? Black Mask? Lady Shiva? The classic rogues gallery? Yeah, I remember all of those. But if Deadshot was a major Batvillain back then, it has somehow been erased from my memory banks. I only know Deadshot from the ARROW TV show, the first 3 seasons of which were pretty obviously more inspired by Batman than Green Arrow.
Okay, dude, we're talking about Deathstroke, not Deadshot. Peeps might get confused. Deadshot is a genuine Batman rogue. Deathstroke is a guy who was initially not, but (inevitably) crossed paths with Batman when he had his own comic.

Quote:
So should we start a pool now to see who kills more people in the next movie --- Batman or Deadshot?
Wimp.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Okay, dude, we're talking about Deathstroke, not Deadshot. Peeps might get confused.
Two assassins in similar costumes. Yeah, I can't imagine why people would get those two confused.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:14 PM

You're the one who got the names wrong.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
You're the one who got the names wrong.
Deadshot, Deathstroke, Deadpool, Deadman, Deathbolt, Deathlok ... all dressed pretty much alike with the same weapons. I think the comic book writers need a new cookbook. It's no wonder they all start to taste the same after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies