U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:24 AM

2,520 posts, read 815,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Deadshot, Deathstroke, Deadpool, Deadman, Deathbolt, Deathlok ... all dressed pretty much alike with the same weapons. I think the comic book writers need a new cookbook. It's no wonder they all start to taste the same after a while.
In what universe do characters like Deathlok and Deadman and Deathstroke resemble each other? You'd better get yourself a new monocle, old man! (Btw, Deathstroke's original design was much improved upon.)

Deadman (DC, created in 1967)

Quote:
Deadman, also known as Boston Brand, is a supernatural superhero and a ghost. Murdered by an assassin, his spirit haunts the mortal realm bringing justice to those who deserve it. Although he cannot directly interact with the physical world, he can possess bodies of the living and control them towards his own ends. Brand received his powers from Rama Kushna and spends his spare time in Nanda Parbat. He has been a member of the Sentinels of Magic, the Seven Soldiers of Victory, the Black Lantern Corps and the White Lantern Corps. Deadman was created by Arnold Drake and Carmine Infantino, first appearing in Strange Adventures #205. (1967)
Deadman - DC Database - Wikia

Deathlok (Marvel, created in 1974)

Quote:
Deathlok (also referred to as "Deathlok the Demolisher") is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. He first appeared in Astonishing Tales #25 (Aug. 1974), created by Rich Buckler and Doug Moench. At least three subsequent Marvel characters have used the "Deathlok" identity since then. A recurring theme among these characters is that a dead human has been reanimated with cybernetic technology. "Deathlok technology" has also been used thematically by Marvel writers in other stories. The character has also appeared on television in animation and live action.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathlok

Deathstroke (DC, created in 1980)

Quote:
Deathstroke is the world's greatest assassin/mercenary and an enemy of the Teen Titans. Originally a soldier in the U.S. Army, he was part of an experimental super-soldier project where he gained enhanced strength, agility and intelligence. His vendetta against the Titans began when he swore revenge for the death of his oldest son Grant; his two other children would go on to become Titans members as Jericho and Ravager. Traditionally his actions have been limited by a strong personal code of honor, although his motives became more villainous following the death of his wife Adeline Kane. Through this time his only steady companion is his loyal manservant Major Wintergreen. He has been a member of Checkmate, H.I.V.E., the Injustice League, the Secret Society of Super-Villains, the Titans and Titans East. Deathstroke was created by Marv Wolfman and George Pérez, first appearing in New Teen Titans #2. (1980)
Deathstroke - DC Database - Wikia

I concur that Deadpool resembles a few of the others too closely, and that's because he's a rip-off character who somehow became extremely popular. For example:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:33 AM

12,159 posts, read 16,632,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
In what universe do characters like Deathlok and Deadman and Deathstroke resemble each other?
They all look like luchadors to one degree or another. And I love sending you on a frantic Google info hunt.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
They all look like luchadors to one degree or another. And I love sending you on a frantic Google info hunt.
No Google-fu here, buddy. Tabs. 'Sides, I love talking comics. Proving you wrong is just an added perk!

And Deathlok is one cyborg-lookin' "luchador" if I ever saw one.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:46 AM

And since I know you'll want to tune in, DC's hosting a big Web event this Friday.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:09 PM

12,159 posts, read 16,632,434 times
Quote:
And since I know you'll want to tune in, DC's hosting a big Web event this Friday.
You can post the highlights. I probably could care less. But not much.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:10 PM

256 posts, read 78,181 times
Quote:
I concur that Deadpool resembles a few of the others too closely, and that's because he's a rip-off character who somehow became extremely popular.
Invention or innovation. The iPod wasn't the first handheld music device (walkman and mp3 players).

But I like both characters, so I welcome Deathstroke to film with open arms. I just haven't warmed up to Ben Afflect as Bruce Wayne though.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:20 PM

The Walkman-iPod analogy won't work in this case because Deadpool was co-created by a guy known for creating really bad characters. But he hit paydirt with Deadpool, so more power to him.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
You can post the highlights. I probably could care less. But not much.
Did you take in that encore of Pete's Dragon yet?

Old 08-30-2016, 02:11 PM

256 posts, read 78,181 times
Quote:
The Walkman-iPod analogy won't work in this case because Deadpool was co-created by a guy known for creating really bad characters. But he hit paydirt with Deadpool, so more power to him.
That doesn't negate the analogy.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 PM

Deadpool was a derivation, not an innovation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies