U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 03:42 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,424,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I know I'm slapping at the tide with this one, but I wish real themes and memorable melodies would come back to film scores. They have disappeared in favor of "mood music." I would bet money that anyone who hasn't seen JAWS or STAR WARS or RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK or SUPERMAN or THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY in 10 years could still hum the music without a second's thought. I just thought THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN and my head filled with music and now I want to ride a horse off into adventure. That is real film music.
On that note, I do believe Wonder Woman's cello motif is memorable and "hummable" on the same level!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3vri53VrTU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 11:31 AM

13,202 posts, read 17,890,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
On that note, I do believe Wonder Woman's cello motif is memorable and "hummable" on the same level!
Nope. Not even close. And it still reminds me of the theme song to the old X-Men cartoon. WW deserved better than this.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Nope. Not even close. And it still reminds me of the theme song to the old X-Men cartoon. WW deserved better than this.
Again, you're a minority of uno. Everyone I know loves it. The electric cello rocks.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Again, you're a minority of uno.
Since I am right and everyone else is wrong, I'm totally okay with that. The WW music compared to the best moments of John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Morricone, Berstein, etc. isn't just not in the same league, it isn't in the same sport.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:13 AM

The great Ennio Morricone indulged atmospherics, too. I think portions of this score informed Zimmer's music for the Nolan trilogy. I wouldn't call this "mood music."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meU2gAU7Xss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXUbHLu9KEc

Old 06-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
The great Ennio Morricone indulged atmospherics, too. I think portions of this score informed Zimmer's music for the Nolan trilogy. I wouldn't call this "mood music."
I wouldn't either. Morricone was a master. Sadly, no one seems to be stepping forward to fill his podium.

Consider all of these "heroic" movies: SPIDER-MAN in all his incarnations, THE AVENGERS, INCREDIBLE HULK, CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, MAN OF STEEL, WONDER WOMAN, BATMAN VS SUPERMAN, all the X-MEN movies ... I couldn't recall any of the music if you held a loaded gun to my head. It's just bland filler.

But remember: JAWS, SUPERMAN, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, STAR WARS, ALIEN, THE TERMINATOR, BLADE RUNNER, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY, JURASSIC PARK, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, PSYCHO, HALLOWEEN, THE GODFATHER, CONAN THE BARBARIAN ... some of those I haven't seen in years, but I could hum most of their themes without a moment's thought.

And that is the difference in today's bland movie music: It's forgettable, almost instantly. Really great music isn't just memorable; it haunts you.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM

Composers today don't seem as concerned with an overarching leitmotif. That's what you're referring to, the signature 7-10 notes the rest of the score hinges or dovetails on. And do you really remember anything from Psycho beyond the "stabbing" 4ths and 5ths from the iconic shower scene? (And this may sound heretical, but I never cared for Williams' Jurassic Park stuff.)

Other scores that occupy spaces within my head which are on auto-recall: Suspiria, Dawn of the Dead, Escape From New York, Tron, The Shining, Tenebre, Thief, Firestarter, and many others by Tangerine Dream (but I'm a fan). Keith Emerson's score for Inferno is awesome, too.

I wouldn't call Zimmer's music bland at all. Maybe you need to give it a chance. I concur there are many ho-hum scores in the last 20 years. That's undeniable.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Composers today don't seem as concerned with an overarching leitmotif.
Or memorable melodies, rhythms, themes, etc. Yes, agreed. Modern composers are just part of the overall sound effects, not striving to make great art that stands on its own.

Quote:
And do you really remember anything from Psycho beyond the "stabbing" 4ths and 5ths from the iconic shower scene?
Absolutely, I do! The PSYCHO score is a classic. The "stalking strings" of that movie are an inherent part of every scene.

Quote:
(And this may sound heretical, but I never cared for Williams' Jurassic Park stuff.)
I absolve thee. I sure wouldn't put it in the Top 5 of Williams scores, but there's no doubt it's memorable. Within 5 seconds you know exactly which score you're listening to. That could not be said of any of the recent Marvel or DC movies. I could listen for 10 minutes and still have to guess.

Quote:
I wouldn't call Zimmer's music bland at all.
No would I. He is one of the exceptions to my complaint. I like his BATMAN stuff especially.

And there are some others out there doing good stuff. Michael Giacchino tends to miss more than he hits, but his score for THE INCREDIBLES is a classic. I haven't been all that impressed with most of Ramin Djawadi's work, but his music for GAME OF THRONES is good. I have high hopes that Johann Johannsson's score for BLADE RUNNER 2049 will be good.

Yet it still infuriates me that Marvel and DC are trying to make the most epic of epic movies, yet they continually produce bland, instantly forgettable music. Little kids should have something to hum as they pick up their shields, strap on their bullet-proof bracelets, or tie towels around their neck as they imagine epic adventure. We're failing them. Won't somebody think of the children!?!?!?!

Old 06-19-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Or memorable melodies, rhythms, themes, etc.
Now you're talkin' that crazy talk again. Baby, bathwater, and all that.

Quote:
Absolutely, I do! The PSYCHO score is a classic. The "stalking strings" of that movie are an inherent part of every scene.
You remember the "Psycho Suite" because it's been used in many other films. Scroll this page to see all the tributes/parodies/spoofs. There's a ton!

Psycho (1960) - Connections - IMDb

Quote:
I absolve thee. I sure wouldn't put it in the Top 5 of Williams scores, but there's no doubt it's memorable. Within 5 seconds you know exactly which score you're listening to. That could not be said of any of the recent Marvel or DC movies. I could listen for 10 minutes and still have to guess.
Marvel, yeah. DC, no. Even if you minus everything else, Wonder Woman's electric cello theme is the one everyone's quoting. Where do you live again, the North Pole?

Marvel worries more about how many jokes they can cram into each script.

Quote:
No would I. He is one of the exceptions to my complaint. I like his BATMAN stuff especially.
Zimmer's concert at this year's Coachella fest went down like gangbusters, too. Zimmer and his ensemble play choice cuts from the DC scores, including (of course) the aforementioned Wonder Woman theme ("Is She With You?"), with Tina Guo on electric cello.

Quote:
And there are some others out there doing good stuff. Michael Giacchino tends to miss more than he hits, but his score for THE INCREDIBLES is a classic. I haven't been all that impressed with most of Ramin Djawadi's work, but his music for GAME OF THRONES is good. I have high hopes that Johann Johannsson's score for BLADE RUNNER 2049 will be good.
Johannsson's going to emulate Vangelis, and that's what the movie requires. Nobody wants to hear oboes and clarinets in a Blade Runner score.

Giacchino's music for the 2009 Star Trek reboot was way better than it had any right to be.

I thought this theme was pretty cool. It has sitar, guitar and organ. It sounds like Giacchino listened to some Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd and Gryphon before he composed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uoNAFfvKg

Quote:
Yet it still infuriates me that Marvel and DC are trying to make the most epic of epic movies, yet they continually produce bland, instantly forgettable music. Little kids should have something to hum as they pick up their shields, strap on their bullet-proof bracelets, or tie towels around their neck as they imagine epic adventure. We're failing them. Won't somebody think of the children!?!?!?!
That's what this is for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSaDPc1Cs5U

Old 06-20-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Now you're talkin' that crazy talk again. Baby, bathwater, and all that.
I listened to the WW score again, trying to give it another chance. I'm still underwhelmed. Nothing in it is particularly bad (except for the closing song, which is almost Disney Channel fare), but nothing is particularly good either. It's just filler. The best track "Angel On The Wing" might make my playlist on occasion, but it's never going to haunt my dreams. This score is just generic movie fare. The composer never took any real chances or tried anything daring (maybe throwing in some Mediterranean instruments or scales?). Just vanilla.

Quote:
You remember the "Psycho Suite" because it's been used in many other films.
And why do you think that might be?

Is there a single track in the WW score that you see being picked up for anything other than the occasional action movie trailer?

Quote:
Marvel, yeah. DC, no. Even if you minus everything else, Wonder Woman's electric cello theme is the one everyone's quoting. Where do you live again, the North Pole?
The Emperor hath no clothes.

Quote:
Giacchino's music for the 2009 Star Trek reboot was way better than it had any right to be.
Agreed. Too bad the movie played it safe.

Quote:
I thought this theme was pretty cool. It has sitar, guitar and organ. It sounds like Giacchino listened to some Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd and Gryphon before he composed it.
Maybe it's simply because I was so underwhelmed by that movie, but the music just never wowed me. In fact, Marvel has yet to produce any movie music worthy of remembrance. It's just sound effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies