U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 06:13 AM

14,828 posts, read 19,511,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
If you liked that dialogue, tweet Joss your thanks. He "rewrote" a lot of it. The worst of it's probably Barry's "brunch" joke, and Batman muttering "Something's definitely bleeding!" Also Batman's line "Sorry, guys! I didn't bring a sword!" (Formerly the concise and effective "My turn!")

From the Dark Knight to the Dork Knave.
I kept watching, looking for something to save. Usually in a bad movie you can find bits and say, "Well, that was cool. Why couldn't they develop that?" or, "Yup. Here is where it goes off the rails."

But JUSTICE LEAGUE was a complete wreck. I couldn't point to a single bit worth saving. The whole movie should have been scrapped and re-written from page one.

As for the quality of the directing ...

I didn't do enough analysis to try to figure out (mostly because I don't care) which scenes were Snyder and which were Whedon. But the "real world" shots, things like the lakeshore scenes, the woods, sunsets, etc. were really gorgeous. Whoever shot those really knows how to film a natural landscape.

But the CGI-scape scenes. Wow. Was this movie shot in the '80s? I've seen better aesthetics in fourth-grade coloring books. For a guy who loves smoke and ruddy light so much in fight scenes, you'd think Snyder would learn how to use it eventually. I thought 300 and BvS looked bad. JL was actually worse. Whoever is producing Snyder's next movie needs to tell the man, "You are hereby banned from thinking smoke is cool."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 06:57 AM

5,378 posts, read 2,322,867 times
If you're referring to the oppressive redness of the final act, that's all post-Snyder. All of the night footage was "recolored."

Old 07-11-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
If you're referring to the oppressive redness of the final act, that's all post-Snyder. All of the night footage was "recolored."
I'm referring to every CGI fight scene in the movie. I don't think you can lay all the blame for this on Whedon, because I saw the same thing in 300, BvS, and Man of Steel.

When it comes to shooting actual scenery in real light, Snyder's movies look truly beautiful. But then he turns on the CGI, and it is almost as if every aesthetic sense in his psyche jumps out of his head. His CGI looks muddy, unclear, and above all ugly.

By the way, here is the actual conversation I had with my non-nerd wife while watching the movie.

Dialogue from the movie after the villain first shows up:

"Amazons, on your mark!" *gasp* "Steppenwolf!"

My wife pauses the movie and says, "Hang on. Steppenwolf? Wasn't that a hair band?"

Me: "No. It was actually a late '60s band, but they named themselves for the Herman Hesse novel."

My wife: "So Steppenwolf is from mythology or something?"

Me: "No. It's just the German word for 'steppe wolf.' Kind of the Eurasian version of the coyote."

My wife: "So why would a society of Amazons call an intergalactic demi-god a German coyote?"

Me: "Umm, I don't know. Maybe 'cause Jack Kirby thought it sounded cool?"

My wife: "It doesn't. It's stupid."

This all happened with no prompting from me, by the way.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
JL was doomed from the start. There were a lot of flaws in Man of Steel which carried over to BatmanVsSuperman. BVS was really bad. JL was too soon and had no substance to it. WB wanted to compete with Disney's Marvel Avengers formula.
MoS is a great film. BvS–UE is a great film. Justice League was originally plotted as a two-part film. The studio stepped in to play puppet master.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm referring to every CGI fight scene in the movie. I don't think you can lay all the blame for this on Whedon, because I saw the same thing in 300, BvS, and Man of Steel.
Not a fan of 300, the movie or Miller's graphic novel, that it's based on. I did watch the film, and it kept me entertained, but once was enough.

Quote:
When it comes to shooting actual scenery in real light, Snyder's movies look truly beautiful. But then he turns on the CGI, and it is almost as if every aesthetic sense in his psyche jumps out of his head. His CGI looks muddy, unclear, and above all ugly.
Steppenwolf's CGI is incomplete. You can tell by the close-ups (and other shots). They humanized his design. His original look was much fiercer and less humanoid, less space pirate.

The CGI suffers most in the confrontation in the tunnel and the final act. Whedon did have something to do with those after the fact. The big sequence Zack filmed that was mostly left alone was Steppenwolf's arrival on Themyscira. Everything else, including Superman's resurrection, has some degree of fiddling.

Quote:
By the way, here is the actual conversation I had with my non-nerd wife while watching the movie.

Dialogue from the movie after the villain first shows up:

"Amazons, on your mark!" *gasp* "Steppenwolf!"

My wife pauses the movie and says, "Hang on. Steppenwolf? Wasn't that a hair band?"

Me: "No. It was actually a late '60s band, but they named themselves for the Herman Hesse novel."

My wife: "So Steppenwolf is from mythology or something?"

Me: "No. It's just the German word for 'steppe wolf.' Kind of the Eurasian version of the coyote."

My wife: "So why would a society of Amazons call an intergalactic demi-god a German coyote?"

Me: "Umm, I don't know. Maybe 'cause Jack Kirby thought it sounded cool?"

My wife: "It doesn't. It's stupid."

This all happened with no prompting from me, by the way.
The keyword here is "non-nerd."

But you know what, I would assume even a kid would extrapolate the following:

I. The Amazons, like Steppenwolf, are ancient beings;

II. It's not the first time the Amazons have seen Steppenwolf* and hence explains their knowing his name;

III. Most importantly, the Amazons played no part in naming the dude!

IV. Jack "The King" Kirby needs no defending.

*And then there was the big flashback battle (best part of the movie, after Wonder Woman's early scene, and Steppenwolf's arrival), which should have made Mrs. MarkuS go "Ahh, I get it now!"

Old 07-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
*And then there was the big flashback battle (best part of the movie, after Wonder Woman's early scene, and Steppenwolf's arrival), which should have made Mrs. MarkuS go "Ahh, I get it now!"
Are you talking about the cameo by the Rohirrim from THE RETURN OF THE KING?

Old 07-11-2018, 01:55 PM

6,413 posts, read 4,243,398 times
Quote:
MoS is a great film. BvS–UE is a great film. Justice League was originally plotted as a two-part film. The studio stepped in to play puppet master.
MOS is not a great film. It's ok.

BvS was awful. The only thing that saved it was Wonder Woman.

Justice League was awful.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
MOS is not a great film. It's ok.

BvS was awful. The only thing that saved it was Wonder Woman.

Justice League was awful.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:33 PM

Get a room!

Old 07-24-2018, 03:33 PM

More footage. Again.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies