U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:02 AM

20,072 posts, read 10,682,643 times

Advertisements

I loved Batman V. Superman but I HATED the ground moving. WE ALL KNOW Superman will return, that comic has been skillets for twenty years. Plus Caville was in the casting for Justice League. Unless he was used as a version of Eradicator or Cyborg-Bizaro Superman or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 09:27 AM

2,649 posts, read 873,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This is why death is a meaningless gimmick in comic books. We know it isn't real. The writers know it isn't real. The publisher knows it isn't real. It's a gimmick. Whether you're talking about Wolverine or Superman or Colossus or Jean Grey or Robin or Captain America, we know that no matter how many times a super hero dies, he or she isn't really dead. So the death is therefore meaningless.

Sales flagging?

Kill our most popular character!

Sales flagging?

Bring back our most popular character!

Gandalf died, too, but I didn't notice anyone complain.

And you know what...the way Marvel brought Cap back was so cheesy (the gun didn't really kill him, he was stuck "between" space and time, and he headed back...to 1945), that they really should have just left him a goner.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I loved Batman V. Superman but I HATED the ground moving. WE ALL KNOW Superman will return, that comic has been skillets for twenty years. Plus Caville was in the casting for Justice League. Unless he was used as a version of Eradicator or Cyborg-Bizaro Superman or something.
You heard Man of Steel 2 is now in development, right? I hope we get Brainiac.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:55 AM

12,234 posts, read 16,807,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Gandalf died, too, but I didn't notice anyone complain.
George R.R. Martin complains about it all the time. But he's wrong. That scene is inherent to the story and the character. It wasn't thrown in as a sales gimmick.

Quote:
And you know what...the way Marvel brought Cap back was so cheesy (the gun didn't really kill him, he was stuck "between" space and time, and he headed back...to 1945), that they really should have just left him a goner.
I confess I have paid almost no attention to the Marvel Comics shenanigans for the past 5 or 6 years. Unless it is headline news, I probably missed it.

They'll kill Iron Man pretty soon, because Robert Downey Jr. will be finished in another movie or two, and Marvel is now part of the corporate behemoth, so in order to leverage their core competencies and cross-integrate across bland --- I mean brand platforms and maximize their intellectual property exposures, they will find a way to "reboot" the movies with new actors and use the comics as commercials for their fanbase.

Not that I'm old and bitter or anything.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
George R.R. Martin complains about it all the time. But he's wrong. That scene is inherent to the story and the character. It wasn't thrown in as a sales gimmick.
I was messin.'

Quote:
I confess I have paid almost no attention to the Marvel Comics shenanigans for the past 5 or 6 years. Unless it is headline news, I probably missed it.
Not sure how, it was all over the Web, and the news:

Quote:
Captain America #25 which depicted Steve Rogers' death was the highest selling comic of March 2007 with preorder sales of 290,514 which was double the sales of the Mighty Avengers #1 in the same period.[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE] The Death of Captain America was reported in ABC News, where Bryan Robinson paralleled the events to the Post-September 11 World and Iraq.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_De...aptain_America

That, and lines were around the block in L.A. and copies were trading for insane amounts within hours or a day — as high as $1000, I recall!

Quote:
They'll kill Iron Man pretty soon, because Robert Downey Jr. will be finished in another movie or two, and Marvel is now part of the corporate behemoth, so in order to leverage their core competencies and cross-integrate across bland --- I mean brand platforms and maximize their intellectual property exposures, they will find a way to "reboot" the movies with new actors and use the comics as commercials for their fanbase.
I just think it sucks when they start forcing comics to reference the films, and also when they start drawing the characters to resemble their film counterparts. It's not pervasive, but they shouldn't do that. Hawkeye won't always look like Jeremy Renner.

Quote:
But you went and paid to watch Pete's Dragon. I figured you'd stick with the original.

Next up: Puff the Magic Dragon (from the gang that brought you Sausage Party).

Old 08-16-2016, 10:29 AM

12,234 posts, read 16,807,499 times
Quote:
I was messin.'
No one messes with Gandalf.

Quote:
I just think it sucks when they start forcing comics to reference the films, and also when they start drawing the characters to resemble their film counterparts. It's not pervasive, but they shouldn't do that. Hawkeye won't always look like Jeremy Renner.
Yup. Agreed. But it's been going on for years. I remember back when Bruce Jones was doing such an amazing run on THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Then Ang Lee's movie went into development, and Marvel started forcing stuff into the comic. It killed the book.

Quote:
But you went and paid to watch Pete's Dragon. I figured you'd stick with the original.
I love the original. But I have kids who wanted to go see it. I could have easily waited for the DVD.

Quote:
Next up: Puff the Magic Dragon (from the gang that brought you Sausage Party).
It's only a matter of time, isn't it? Two bad tastes that don't taste any better together.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Yup. Agreed. But it's been going on for years. I remember back when Bruce Jones was doing such an amazing run on THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Then Ang Lee's movie went into development, and Marvel started forcing stuff into the comic. It killed the book.
Bruce Jones. Now there's a name more fans should know. He's not just a great writer, he's a damned good artist, too. He did tons of cool stories for Warren Publishing.

Many years ago, during one of my twenty visits to the San Diego Comic Con, and before things got really out of hand with attendance, they hosted a panel of Warren creators.

And what I mean by attendance is that there would be a panel here and a panel there where the room never filled up, because people were waiting in line for a panel to a TV show or film or a signing by Stan Lee (and so on).

Unfortunately, Jim Warren didn't make the panel. But who did: these four: Bruce Jones, Bernie Wrightson, Walt Simonson and Louise Simonson (aka Louise Jones, as she had previously been married to the great Jeff Jones).

To this day, it remains the best panel I ever had the good fortune of personally attending. That group consisted of some of the best people to ever work in comics, period. They all told great stories of working with Jim and how they got their starts at Warren. Bruce talked about his portfolio review with Jim, who chimed in with wanting to see how well he drew X-rated stuff (since he liked Bruce's renderings of females) and a crazy rant about he shouldn't bother going to look for work at DC and Marvel. "Is this DC's number? You called DC, didn't you? Let me tell why you shouldn't work for DC..."

Bernie talked about a sucker bet Jim made with every creator he met. I forget what it was, but every guy lost the bet and signed the $1 dollar bill. Jim produced a STACK of $1 bills signed by everyone who was working back then, from Reed Crandall to John Severin.

Walt also talked about the Close Encounters adaptation he drew for Marvel, which had to be done without his having seen the film.

They talked about all kinds of cool stuff from "those days," and one moment literally made the entire room burst into explosive laughter.

They don't make 'em like that anymore. The panel was taped. Sad to think it's sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You heard Man of Steel 2 is now in development, right? I hope we get Brainiac.
I think that would only be a good idea as Men of Steel or a Steel movie tying back into the Reign of the Supermen story. Just please no Kon-El...

My ideal world is that Eradicator or Cyborg Superman is Brainiac.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 AM

Old 08-17-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:

They could always do the new female Iron Man or Mainframe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies