Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 03:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

When I teach, I often reference things to movies, like Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid or James Bond.

The catch is with the young students of today, they have never seen these flicks or even heard of them such as with Butch.

I realize in the modern instant media world, perhaps bothering with anything not there is not worth it to them (or perhaps taking in a long movie is beyond their attention span)......but is it too unreasonable to at least hope that they might some day take in such flicks?

I know, I know, one can always hope. Just like that set of lines out of Beneath the Planet of the Apes:

"When may we hope to be released?"--Brent
"You may hope whenever you wish, Mr. Brent." --Caspay

There is that hope but then again, should someone born of the 60's have watched the movies of 20 or more years before? Which movies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 03:05 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Maybe YOU need to use newer movies for cultural literacy references. Time passes and teachers need to keep up with what is relevant to current generations based on their exposure to movies and books. Keep it fresh but relevant.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:09 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
I have heard of Butch Cassidy and saw parts of it, thanks to my mom.

To answer your question, I am not sure. Some will but plenty won't. I think there are some movies from the 40's that should be watched by those born in the 60's, like "Citizen Kane" and "Casablanca".

But it's also important to get with the times and explore movies and music of today.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:22 PM

Well, there is a lot to be said when I open up the class with, "Today, I am going to teach you a move that was used in a James Bond flick!".

Old 07-31-2016, 03:52 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, there is a lot to be said when I open up the class with, "Today, I am going to teach you a move that was used in a James Bond flick!".
Except your students are thinking James Bond is Daniel Craig, not Roger Moore.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Except your students are thinking James Bond is Daniel Craig, not Roger Moore.
Well, actually the move I am teaching them is Sean Connery.

Ooooh, I got a good one the other day. I was referencing "Thunderball" and a student said he thought he saw that with his parents......OUCH!

Curiously enough, after a day of diving the other day, I was ready to take dinner with an underwater flick. My DVD collection is scattered and I don't have my copy of "For Your Eyes Only" handy (why they put Moore in a full wet suit, hood included, in the warm Med, I will never know) handy. The one I did have handy was "Live and Let Die" but alas, there is not much diving in that flick....unlike the book which has a lot of diving in it. As it was, I shifted horses over dinner and went with One Hour Photo instead.

BE THAT AS IT MAY, that there are those suggesting that the instructor should be up on the current movies, let's try to address the questions posed.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:59 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
No students can't be expected to know 20 year old movies from before they were even born!

Old 07-31-2016, 04:02 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As you know, both 12 o'clock high and 12 Angry Men are staples of business school to teach leadership.

old does not have to be outdated.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:05 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
No students can't be expected to know 20 year old movies from before they were even born!
I wouldn't go that far--there might be some movie buffs out there-- but if Tamara is trying to connect with students in their 20s, she'd have a better chance meeting them where they are. Referencing the Bourne movies or the Tom Cruise Mission Impossibles would make more sense than lamenting that they don't know movies from the 60s.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I wouldn't go that far--there might be some movie buffs out there-- but if Tamara is trying to connect with students in their 20s, she'd have a better chance meeting them where they are. Referencing the Bourne movies or the Tom Cruise Mission Impossibles would make more sense than lamenting that they don't know movies from the 60s.
Bourne, I might do......................can't stomach the Mission Impossible ones.

EDIT: It seems I can pick up all 4 Bourne flicks for under $18, anything I ought to know before I do?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-31-2016 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies