U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2016, 03:16 PM
 
4,582 posts, read 1,910,014 times
Reputation: 2672

Advertisements

The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are great films.

The Happening and The Village were okay. Both are extended Twilight Zone episodes with good setups and third acts that go nowhere.

I haven't watched The Visit, Devil, nor After Earth (I won't bother with that one) and LitW (ditto).

The week before The Village came out, SyFy aired a three (!) hour-long special on Night. Its mission was expressly to generate loads of interest in the film and odd (and obviously fictional) occurrences in Night's daily life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2016, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,046 posts, read 11,782,796 times
Reputation: 14714
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are great films.

The Happening and The Village were okay. Both are extended Twilight Zone episodes with good setups and third acts that go nowhere.

I haven't watched The Visit, Devil, nor After Earth (I won't bother with that one) and LitW (ditto).

The week before The Village came out, SyFy aired a three (!) hour-long special on Night. Its mission was expressly to generate loads of interest in the film and odd (and obviously fictional) occurrences in Night's daily life.
The Buried secret of M. Night Shyamalan- I remember this. it was brilliant marketing. he was supposedly being followed by some ghost or other entity. He also made a film as a kid that was an extra on the Signs DVD.

After Earth was a huge let down-It was visually stunning but the dialogue alone was cringe-worthy. i felt it was downhill after the brilliant Signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 04:18 PM
 
4,582 posts, read 1,910,014 times
Reputation: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The Buried secret of M. Night Shyamalan- I remember this. it was brilliant marketing. he was supposedly being followed by some ghost or other entity. He also made a film as a kid that was an extra on the Signs DVD.
That's the one. Yes, I watched all three hours, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
After Earth was a huge let down-It was visually stunning but the dialogue alone was cringe-worthy. i felt it was downhill after the brilliant Signs.
Forgot about Signs. I liked that one a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,352 posts, read 4,780,653 times
Reputation: 9383
I don't care what anyone says (LOL). Lady in the Water was one of the best performances of Giamatti's career. he CRUSHED it.

I thought it was a beautiful movie that was severely misunderstood by critics, sitting at a crappy 24% on rotten
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
2,698 posts, read 4,521,570 times
Reputation: 2155
I'm totally confused how Bruce Willis fit into the end of this movie? What did I miss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Maine
13,999 posts, read 18,769,737 times
Reputation: 15714
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
I'm totally confused how Bruce Willis fit into the end of this movie? What did I miss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
2,698 posts, read 4,521,570 times
Reputation: 2155
Thanks. I was able to Google from there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Kansas/China
3,994 posts, read 1,946,392 times
Reputation: 2793
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I don't care what anyone says (LOL). Lady in the Water was one of the best performances of Giamatti's career. he CRUSHED it.

I thought it was a beautiful movie that was severely misunderstood by critics, sitting at a crappy 24% on rotten
I agree, I enjoyed Lady in the Water as well. In fact, that was the last movie he made that I liked. I watched the Happening in theatres and what a absolutely terrible movie. We almost walked out. I only lasted 5 minutes into the Last Airbender, one of the worst films, if not the worst film I have ever seen. Havenít seen any of his films since then and have no interest in them.

Signs, The Village, Unbreakable, and the Sixth Sense were all excellent. Lady in the Water was good, but not on the same level as his previous movies. Then it all fell apart with The Happening.

Shyalaman inspired me quite a bit when I was in high school and my friends and I made a handful of movies ourselves. I seriously considered going to film school, but decided against it. Nonetheless I learned a great deal about filmmaking and I believe that has been a useful skill for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top