Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 08:19 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Tonight, while watching some Batman videos, it hit me; I had never made Batman my own, whether in practice or in imaginary.

I mean, I've been the classical like a Felix in "The Odd Couple" and lord knows, I have spent enough of my life in tights. But even in the total, such as those characters with awesome firepower at their call, or the partial where I use those characters I like to play as subcharacters, instruments to drive my onstage compatriots insane, it's never been a superhero....or for that manner, a super villain.

This is further complicated by the situation of adapting to my life out in the country. I mean, whoever heard of Little Red Riding Hood's country living resident being a super heroine? Am I to be like Mighty Mouse......or Kara?

Is this so unusual, to never imagine one's self as a super hero? Perhaps we did it as children when we read the comics.....so why don't we see such as adults, if only in our second kidhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 10:17 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
I was a huge fan of Spider-man growing up and made it a point to climb things like trees, high fences and in the old neighborhood tied a rope to a high branch to swing all while wearing the Spidey t-shirt. A few kids had hard landings but at least we got outside in the sunshine and had physical activity-Many do not with the rise of the internet and a crazy world. No one had cell phones or anything like that.

The appeal goes away as we get older because life simply changes, jobs, families etc. We can still be fans, watch TV/Film and read books and enjoy but its a natural acceptance of becoming an adult. The times had as a kid having fun are great memories and can never be really replicated.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:24 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
I had a house fall on me in Japan once, earthquake. I wasn't hurt but the medics insisted I go get checked, because how would a gaijin know if he was hurt or not? After getting a clean bill of health my friends started calling me "Gojira". That's stuck in one form or another for over 30 years.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:27 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I had a house fall on me in Japan once, earthquake. I wasn't hurt but the medics insisted I go get checked, because how would a gaijin know if he was hurt or not? After getting a clean bill of health my friends started calling me "Gojira". That's stuck in one form or another for over 30 years.
Amazing story. I had to google "gaijin" actually. I do know who Gojira is though! Hope that pesky mothra does not give you too much trouble.

Glad you pulled through with a good story and no injuries!

Old 08-14-2016, 10:45 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Amazing story. I had to google "gaijin" actually. I do know who Gojira is though! Hope that pesky mothra does not give you too much trouble.

Glad you pulled through with a good story and no injuries!
I dove for the base of a wall and wound up in a clear triangle. My host was on the other end of that "tunnel" and we told each other dirty stories until they dug us out.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
My son likes to play a game he calls Superhero vs Superhero.

Basically it's a sword fight (never mind that these superheroes don't use swords), but you have to sword fight him and race around the house beating on each other.

I guess that's the closest I have come in a very long time.

I'll tell you, though, I do sometimes like the idea of those cat burglars or James Bond spy types who can kind of do anything (like pick locks. etc). I've enjoyed spending time learning to do things like that.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:53 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
"Is this so unusual, to never imagine one's self as a super hero? Perhaps we did it as children when we read the comics.....so why don't we see such as adults, if only in our second kidhood?"

Ultimately, most superheroes are a bit dumb. They have to be written that way (or be placed into ridiculous situations) for plot lines to advance. Kids identify with superheroes because superheroes have power over their environment and that is a critical life task while being a kid. An extension of that is the desire to be able to drive a car as a teen. Many adults place their superheroes within the context of sports and religion.

The whole concept of heroes and superheroes is dependent upon some part of a system or environment being out of control, requiring a gross physical intervention. You would rarely even know that a real superhero existed, because the work of one would be tiny and elegant. A real superhero might do something as simple as tell a dinner story to a world leader that tipped that leader into avoiding war.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My son likes to play a game he calls Superhero vs Superhero.

Basically it's a sword fight (never mind that these superheroes don't use swords), but you have to sword fight him and race around the house beating on each other.

I guess that's the closest I have come in a very long time.

I'll tell you, though, I do sometimes like the idea of those cat burglars or James Bond spy types who can kind of do anything (like pick locks. etc). I've enjoyed spending time learning to do things like that.
Being a spy is something else. For example, I have an extensive fantasy of where I'm a blonde American spy competing with Anya for 007 in "The Spy Who Loved Me" (okay, I have to find myself another place for the Lotus scenes).

It's just that I can't recall any fantasies as a superhero......and I'm a heavy Kara fan! (You might know her better by her nom de voyage, the name she travels under as "Supergirl").

SIGH, I suppose it is true that such is the price we pay being an adult. In one of the places I grew up in, the one TV station only broadcasted for 3 hours or so a day. I have tried to make my TV watching similar by having one TV show and a movie but I find that I usually can't even manage that! The most I usually have time for is just an hour.

Were things so different then? I guess so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies