Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:36 PM

119 posts, read 88,992 times

Advertisements

Obviously I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, having not seen this film for over a year since its release. But neither am I someone who is against Star Wars. Everything I've heard from friends is that it was awesome. I have no idea what everyone saw in this movie. It was a complete waste of time. They literally just did a cut and paste job on the first (fourth) movie, in plot, character, and execution.

Yeah, you've got the small cute droid who beeps and everyone loves it (including me). You've got the Death Star, but bigger. You have the same X-Wings flying down the same tunnel. You have the same desert planet that the same undiscovered Jedi is on. You have the same canteena-style bar. There was literally nothing that was different in any substantive way, other than they had two Jedi, apparently so one could be a woman and the other could be black. Everything was even filmed the same way, with the X-Wing cockpit shots framed exactly like in the '70s and the obligatory fat, out of shape "everyman" pilots flying them.

Besides that, all of the old cameo appearances were being made for nostalgia. Hey, look, it's Leia reprising her role as general of the rebellion. It's Han reprising his role as the smuggler who ripped everyone off. It's C3PO who just showed up to say hi and look at my red arm. R2D2 just happened to be sitting around.

And then the rest of the film seemed to be like a gag reel, where everyone over-acted and hammed it up. "Oh, by the way, you will drop the gun." "...aaaand, I'll drop the gun." That's on the level of an Internet parody, not what you'd expect from the actual film. Han Solo nods for the guy to look over and he goes "what, what, why are you doing that at me? Oh." It's like it was written for the under 10 crowd. I'm sure they found that scripting hilarious.

The only "daring" thing they did was have the new villain take off his mask, which was also the wrong thing to do. He took it off and I was like, "nice schnozz, dude. I'm promptly not terrified of you at all." Darth Vader? Cool. Darth Maul? Cool. This guy? Looked like a pizza delivery kid.

The worst part is the remainder of the films will be total garbage and still make more money than anything ever in the known universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 12:37 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Thanks.

I loved it.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:43 PM

It doesn't take much for a lot of people, I've learned.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schempgo View Post
It doesn't take much for a lot of people, I've learned.
Happily, I have no reason to slander you in return.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:12 PM

Oh, also, one thing you can never unsee is how they have people running in any spaceport scene. So, you could be in the hanger of an Empire ship or on the ground on a Rebel base. The people will disembark from the ship ...and all around are people running, often in groups of four or in a row. It's totally hilarious.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:13 PM

Don't forget Mary Sue!

Old 08-23-2016, 01:14 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schempgo View Post
Obviously I'm not a huge Star Wars fan,
Ya don't say?!

Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Ya don't say?!
More of a "Rant Wars" fan, I think.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:18 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
More of a "Rant Wars" fan, I think.
Well, I took a hit from the fanbois last month on another forum after reviewing the latest Star Trek flick. At least I kept it to a couple of sentences.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:29 PM

It's also funny how every Sith Lord needs to be crippled. So when this new guy was in the obligatory light saber battle, I was cracking up because I thought when she slashed him he'd be like "my hair! You chopped off my hair!! Now I'm totally going to the Dark Side!! Daaaaaad!! Oh, wait, I already killed him in the last scene, which was a total remake of Darth Vader and Luke."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies