Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:39 PM

196 posts, read 388,639 times

Advertisements

Is being an actor only for the rich and / or pedigreed now? Seems like every day i learn that some actor (or actress) or other type of entertainer is connected to someone rich, famous or rooted in acting - and in some cases it just takes all of the "specialness" out of the person for me. At that point I just feel they didn't earn their way, they are just getting a free pass because they are either someone's kid or lover. I'm sure there are some entertainers who came from nothing and worked from the bottom (no, Drake doesn't count - that's just a song). Is there a such thing as rags to riches anymore or are all the roles basically swallowed up by daddy's kids trying to continue their family legacy? (And no wonder so many ugly actors / actresses out there trying to be passed off as attractive...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:23 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,364,460 times
Who runs Hollywood?

That's the club it helps most to be in.

Besides that I mean look at some of these actors, nic cage? Lol. That Jason sedakis or whatever his name is. The guy that wrote knocked up putting his kids in all those movies when they have less than zero talent.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:28 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,138,435 times
Lots of directors use non-professional actors.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:58 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
I don't recall the exact figures but when I was going through "Acting for TV & Movies", the figures for people being successful in that line of work was extremely dismal. Something like only 10% made over $10K in the previous year. Perhaps only 5%?

The basic thing of it is that if one wants to be an actor, they better have a primary job to fall back on.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:14 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Plenty of actors who got their start without connections ... Matt Damon, Leo DiCaprio, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Hugh Jackman, Ryan Gosling, Charlize Theron, Emma Stone, Amy Adams, Scarlett Johanssen, just off the top of my head. There are many others.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:22 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
I think there are many more that made it without any connections than the other way around, frankly.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:28 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
Is being an actor only for the rich and / or pedigreed now? Seems like every day i learn that some actor (or actress) or other type of entertainer is connected to someone rich, famous or rooted in acting - and in some cases it just takes all of the "specialness" out of the person for me. At that point I just feel they didn't earn their way, they are just getting a free pass because they are either someone's kid or lover. I'm sure there are some entertainers who came from nothing and worked from the bottom (no, Drake doesn't count - that's just a song). Is there a such thing as rags to riches anymore or are all the roles basically swallowed up by daddy's kids trying to continue their family legacy? (And no wonder so many ugly actors / actresses out there trying to be passed off as attractive...).
I think having a family connection is far more the exception than the rule.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:11 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Harrison Ford was a painter. Successful actors tend to be gregarious (Duval excepted) and have a good agent. Getting face time in front of decision makers gets parts. If you look at some of the filmographies in IMDB you will see how reputation, attitude, and skill determine career arcs. The Sony hack gave a pretty good look into the inner workings.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:58 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,963,150 times
The good thing is that the vast majority were ordinary people from ordinary circumstance before making it big.

The bad thing is the odds of making it in Hollywood acting are less than 1 in a 1000. If somebody says, "Kid, I'll make you a star".............run.

Professional athletics is similar. Thats why I don't feel bad for the stars who made it. There are millions of sandlot superstars that would give an arm just to play in the majors...for free.

Ford was a carpenter (probably painted too) working on Lucas's home. Lucas gave him a chance. Goes to show the role of luck and who you know.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think there are many more that made it without any connections than the other way around, frankly.
That may have been the case in the old days. But nowadays, forget about it. I think today's industry is all about who you know. For example, I read somewhere that Jessica Chastain was discovered by Al Pacino. I guess he put in a good word for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies