Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:30 PM

29,484 posts, read 22,539,552 times

Advertisements

It's been getting a lot of good reviews so far.

Can't wait until tomorrow!

I was disappointed with M Night for a while but his last several movies I really liked. The Visit was one of my favorite movies of that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 09:08 AM

22,903 posts, read 28,194,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We pretty much agree, although I didn't like "Unbreakable".
If you are planning on seeing SPLIT, you should really, really rewatch UNBREAKABLE again first. Trust me. There is a plot point in SPLIT you will not understand if the events of UNBREAKABLE are not semi-clear in your memory.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If you are planning on seeing SPLIT, you should really, really rewatch UNBREAKABLE again first. Trust me. There is a plot point in SPLIT you will not understand if the events of UNBREAKABLE are not semi-clear in your memory.
I still didn't get it until I read the 'spoilers' online.

Anyways, saw it today. I guess it was good, but nothing that wowed me. The acting was great all around, and there were some great scenes, but overall I just didn't 'feel' it during the movie like I did for "The Visit."

Old 01-21-2017, 08:52 PM

"Split" earned a fantastic 14.6 million dollars at the box office from Thursday evening and Friday showings. Incredibly, the movie already earned more than its budget of only 10 million dollars. And that's without international release, so everything else at this point is gravy, and yet another great 'comeback' for M. Night.

Spoiler
The more I think about it, the more I believe that the 'twist' ending and the realization that what the movie ultimately was about (a sequel of sorts to "Unbreakable") made me disappointed a bit.

Unbreakable, of course, was more of a comic book type movie. And there are some very deep and heavy themes and scenes in Split, that I thought felt out of place in a such a genre. Not that DC/Marvel movies don't have heavy themes, but still.

I was expecting something more serious I guess. It may take repeated viewings to appreciate the movie given its context. Kind of like Unbreakable, I didn't care for it much at first, but years later I appreciate the craftsmanship and subtlety of that type of comic book movie.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:37 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,119,314 times
Spoiler
The ending was more about Casey's confrontation with the Beast. And the realization that her ordeal (with her Uncle) will only continue forever. It was cool to see Betty Buckley, who also starred in The Happening, as the psychologist. I couldn't figure out how the Beast got into locked from the outside room - where Casey unlatches, opens the door to see only Claire's head and shoulders, the rest of her body to the left, then she's pulled out of view and turns out she's being eaten.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:51 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,119,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Spoiler
The ending was more about Casey's confrontation with the Beast. And the realization that her ordeal (with her Uncle) will only continue forever. It was cool to see Betty Buckley, who also starred in The Happening, as the psychologist. I couldn't figure out how the Beast got into locked from the outside room - where Casey unlatches, opens the door to see only Claire's head and shoulders, the rest of her body to the left, then she's pulled out of view and turns out she's being eaten.
Spoiler
Her inability to escape the car during the abduction was also explained by her past.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:55 AM

50,565 posts, read 24,121,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
"Split" earned a fantastic 14.6 million dollars at the box office from Thursday evening and Friday showings. Incredibly, the movie already earned more than its budget of only 10 million dollars. And that's without international release, so everything else at this point is gravy, and yet another great 'comeback' for M. Night.

"Another" comeback. That's the issue.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:57 AM

465 posts, read 417,262 times
just saw the movie. Outstanding!

Old 01-22-2017, 12:33 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,803,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I remember that movie really well. I'm going to see "Split" here in a few minutes. ( I have some time) I knew nothing about the movie 30 minutes ago, but I do now.

Personality cafe here... with a number of 23? Wow.. Did you like it?

Old 01-22-2017, 12:56 PM

Spoiler
I'm generally not in favor of even remotely hinting at a plot twist when I discuss a movie (without the spoiler tag). The problem that happens when you tell someone that a movie has a plot twist, is that the person then automatically spends most of the movie trying to outguess the director and figure out what the twist is. It takes away from enjoying the movie for what it is.

That's one of the reasons why the Sixth Sense worked so well for me. Before I saw it, I read a few reviews and also talked to someone that saw it. They told me nothing about a plot twist, but just that the ending was very good and gave the movie a whole new perspective. So as I watched the movie, I wasn't busy trying to figure out the twist, but enjoyed the movie for what it was and was shocked by the ending. Made it that much better.

However, in hindsight, I do think that I might have enjoyed Split more if I knew before hand what the movie was ultimately about. To go from a serious movie with very heavy, disturbing, and deep themes, to a conclusion that revealed the true purpose of the movie, was a bit of a letdown to me. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies