U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:38 PM

1,830 posts, read 611,115 times

Advertisements

Finally a rated R movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 09:58 AM

12,343 posts, read 16,981,998 times
Logan Movie Review & Film Summary (2017) | Roger Ebert

Old 03-07-2017, 11:03 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,489,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Finally a rated R movie.
I just saw this movie, and at the Ticket Takers booth there was a sign cautioning parents that this movie's R was for "Extreme Violence and Bloodshed".

It wasn't lying. This movie was much much darker, felt a lot more like a Tarantino flick than a Marvel Graphic Novel.

Be Warned. It was worth seeing, but not what I was expecting.
It had a good plot, great action sequences, but way more blood-splatter than X-Men SFX.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:10 PM

2,925 posts, read 955,401 times
Saw it.

Much like BvS featured the best Batman action ever, Logan features the best Wolverine action (no, he doesn't "suit up").

Mangold and Jackman made a movie where Logervine literally goes out swinging and carving. The previous post mentioned a comparison to Tarantino, but he didn't invent extreme violence in cinema, and Tarantino usually indulges violence for the sake of violence. In Logan, the violence is extreme, but it has a purpose. The ones who pursue the film's three antagonists don't leave much of a choice. The world within is not one that is tailored to negotiation. That point is driven home just past the halfway mark (as if one hasn't already figured it out).

For my time and money, this is now my favorite Marvel movie, one with or without mutants. Its third act just edges out Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Not only is it the best Wolverine movie, and the best mutant CBM (though it's really a tie with First Class, though I prefer the more personal nature of Logan), it is now my favorite Marvel movie. Every action sequence is very well-executed, including something I don't believe we've seen before (the hotel). We also revisit the "beat the train" trope, and that, too, is flawless.

The cast is outstanding. X23, aka Laura, is played by newcomer Dafne Keen of Madrid, Spain, She was discovered when the talent scouts expanded their search beyond England and Ireland. It's a damned good thing they did, because Dafne conveys feral perhaps better than any other girl in her age range they could have found. She's awesome. Nor is her acting confined to violence.

There's also another major element the trailers did not give away.

Logan is performing beyond expectations. Made for around 100 million, it's already earned over 250 million in the global marketplace.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:54 PM

1,307 posts, read 288,585 times
My review wouldn't be fair because I fell asleep several times during the slower, quieter parts of the movie. However, I'm glad that the kids fought back in this movie(and they had some really cool powers) because compared to the kids in X2... well, even with their powers, they just acted like scared little children who didn't know how to fight back or use their powers. But yes, I understood that the kids in "Logan" were designed and trained to be weapons... but still.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:47 PM

2,925 posts, read 955,401 times
Fell asleep, Will? Didn't you have your Mr. Pibb & Red Vines?!

Old 03-10-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I hate Red Vines. But I'm more of a Twizzler man.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:24 PM

9,826 posts, read 4,931,568 times
Just saw it, a great movie.

That's what I like about the Wolverine movies, it doesn't deal with the typical superhero movie nonsense about saving the world amidst titanic battles in and around a metropolitan city between the good guys and the bad guys. It's always been about Wolverine and his own inner battles.

In fact the only thing superhero about this movie were the characters and the powers used. I liked the 'slower' scenes that really featured a lot of great dialogue and emotions.

Yes it was very violent and bloody, but a lot of it was clearly CGI generated so didn't bother me too much.

If this was the last Wolverine movie, then it went out in high style.

Spoiler
Maybe it's just me, but I felt more sad when Professor X died than when Logan did.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:03 PM

1,147 posts, read 586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I just saw this movie, and at the Ticket Takers booth there was a sign cautioning parents that this movie's R was for "Extreme Violence and Bloodshed".

It wasn't lying. This movie was much much darker, felt a lot more like a Tarantino flick than a Marvel Graphic Novel.

Be Warned. It was worth seeing, but not what I was expecting.
It had a good plot, great action sequences, but way more blood-splatter than X-Men SFX.
Apparently the success of Deadpool, helped FOX feel ok about letting loose with full graphic violence in this film. Logan was definitely a movie and plot, and was nothing like any of the other Xmen or Marvel movies to date. Just an all around solid movie that didn't feel like a comic flick at all. The on-screen chemistry between Logan and Professor X, made this movie.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Actually, what I think that I didn't have was a good night's rest the night before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies