U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:13 PM

14,154 posts, read 6,866,099 times

Advertisements

I didn't think it was as gory as I'd been led to believe. Violent, yes. But it wasn't "John Carpenter's 'The Thing'" gory. I was married, had a child, and 10 years into a military career when I watched "The Thing," and I still wasn't old enough to watch stuff like that. My mother should have called me and told me no.

There is a big plot hole in the latter minutes, though, that nags me, and apparently the same plot hole existed in the similar comic:

Spoiler
[/Why did the kids have a plan to rejoin and wait south of the border instead of crossing into Canada to rejoin? I though at first while watching that they needed to have been met by someone to carry them across. But, no, that turned out not to be the case. Evil Doktor Rice stated that the kids couldn't be pursued over the border. They could apparently have walked over the border at any time and waited in Canada with certainly less peril than waiting just short (within an hour or so walk) of the border..

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 03-16-2017 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM

4,328 posts, read 2,024,868 times
I finally got a chance to see Logan this weekend. Despite the big plot hole Ralph_Kirk notes, it was a fabulous movie. (And I found myself wondering whether the kids would be safe even after crossing the border. Not only could I see the US bad guys "accidentally" crossing the border to get their little bioweapons back, I wonder who on the Canadian side might be interested in exploiting them. How do they know what they're fleeing to over the border is actually a sanctuary at all?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Spoiler
Maybe it's just me, but I felt more sad when Professor X died than when Logan did.
You weren't the only one who felt that way! I felt very sorry for Professor X. Of course, the whole movie has an elegiac tone. It really is a Western at its core. (And while Shane was the Western referenced directly in the movie, I found myself comparing it with Unforgiven as well.)

Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 AM

19,455 posts, read 39,617,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I finally got a chance to see Logan this weekend. Despite the big plot hole Ralph_Kirk notes, it was a fabulous movie. (And I found myself wondering whether the kids would be safe even after crossing the border. Not only could I see the US bad guys "accidentally" crossing the border to get their little bioweapons back, I wonder who on the Canadian side might be interested in exploiting them. How do they know what they're fleeing to over the border is actually a sanctuary at all?)

You weren't the only one who felt that way! I felt very sorry for Professor X. Of course, the whole movie has an elegiac tone. It really is a Western at its core. (And while Shane was the Western referenced directly in the movie, I found myself comparing it with Unforgiven as well.)
Yes--
But I just couldn't get past so much gore
Science run amok is always a serious topic and maybe the gore was needed to show just how badly the repercussions could be--
It just wasn't something I could watch--
Covered my eyes many times...

Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Yes--
But I just couldn't get past so much gore
I'm not normally a fan of gore, but one thing that has very consistently bothered me about most depictions of Wolverine (both in the comics and the films) is how they underplay what Wolverine actually does to people. Fanboys have lionized the character for decades for being badass and cool - but he's neither. What he is (when he lets himself cut loose) and what he does is sickening. And Wolverine (unlike the fanboys) knows that and he hates it. Hence his warnings to Laura about what killing (even villains) will eventually do to her if she continues down the path she's walking on.

"I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice." No, it's not. And this film isn't afraid to show the audience that.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 PM

10,039 posts, read 5,066,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

I don't know what the comics were like, but I always felt there was a special bond between X and Wolverine, like he was one of X's favorites for some reason.

This was one of those movies I was on the edge of my seat for most of it.

There was one scene in particular that was very intense and had a lot of deep meaning to me, it was the final scene between the kindly farmer and Wolverine. Most filmmakers would have taken the easy way out and showed a sappy scene where they shared an embrace after what happened before, as the farmer realizes what actually happened. But nope, thankfully they went with a more 'authentic' scene that made it much more powerful.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
There was one scene in particular that was very intense and had a lot of deep meaning to me, it was the final scene between the kindly farmer and Wolverine. Most filmmakers would have taken the easy way out and showed a sappy scene where they shared an embrace after what happened before, as the farmer realizes what actually happened. But nope, thankfully they went with a more 'authentic' scene that made it much more powerful.
I loved that scene - especially Wolverine's (non)response to the farmer's actions. I had the feeling that at that moment, he would have been relieved if
Spoiler
the farmer had blown him away.

Last edited by Aredhel; 03-21-2017 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 08:01 PM

20,730 posts, read 11,103,528 times
I saw it the Monday it came out on a date. I really loved it but despite the R rating and the trailers expect it to be as gory as it was. She didn't like it all that much and surprisingly that was the last date for us. Safe to say, I don't have all that fond memories for this film right now BUT it was pretty awesome. X-23 stole the show.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:00 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,767,340 times
It was the best X-Men movie produced by Fox from all of them. Too bad that this is the last Hugh Jackman - Wolverine movie. This was his best portray.

I wish they would reboot the entire X-Men franchise. Start the Xmen with Cyclops, Iceman, Jean, Beast,Angel, Storm and Wolverine.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:02 PM

133 posts, read 33,865 times
My husband said he was glad we did not pay to watch this movie. And that it should have been titled - LAMEan.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
I wish they would reboot the entire X-Men franchise. Start the Xmen with Cyclops, Iceman, Jean, Beast,Angel, Storm and Wolverine.
I hope they give it a rest for a while. Rebooting too soon just invites unfavorable comparisons with the earlier material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies