Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 03:43 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
No real explanation of the demise of the X-Men.
Their fate was mentioned in passing.

Spoiler
The Weschester Incident. Charles Xavier killed them when he had his first seizure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 03:53 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Their fate was mentioned in passing.

Spoiler
The Westchester Incident. Charles Xavier killed them when he had his first seizure.
I knew nothing specifically about that when I watched the movie, but it was easy enough to infer enough as the movie progressed without having details spelled out by characters noxiously narrating to each other what they already knew.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I knew nothing specifically about that when I watched the movie, but it was easy enough to infer enough as the movie progressed without having details spelled out by characters noxiously narrating to each other what they already knew.
Exactly. Wolverine had no reason in the movie to spell out in detail to any other characters what happened to his comrades, so he didn't. But the director provided enough hints for the audience to figure it out, if they paid attention.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:37 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
I saw the first Wolverine movie and this one (Logan) and while I am not a fan of these types of movies, I really enjoyed Logan. I thought it was very fun and entertaining. Good action, great fight scenes...definitely one I would watch again.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:13 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Exactly. Wolverine had no reason in the movie to spell out in detail to any other characters what happened to his comrades, so he didn't. But the director provided enough hints for the audience to figure it out, if they paid attention.
That's the problem with the Marvel Studios formula: everything is so in-your-face, so spelled out with cookie cutters on a sheet of parchment that everyone expects it from a superhero film. There wasn't a visually endowed flashback in Logan (a movie free of the meddling hands of Kevin Feige), so he naturally thought the movie somehow "forgot" about the rest of the X-team.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:53 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Good flick. The recent movie this most reminded me of was Maggie. Just dealing with a dying and potentially very dangerous father figure rather than daughter in the first half.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That's the problem with the Marvel Studios formula: everything is so in-your-face, so spelled out with cookie cutters on a sheet of parchment that everyone expects it from a superhero film. There wasn't a visually endowed flashback in Logan (a movie free of the meddling hands of Kevin Feige), so he naturally thought the movie somehow "forgot" about the rest of the X-team.
I think it allows for a more non-traditional movie. I must say though it isn't Marvel Studios problem but one with most superhero movies, even the DCEU movies (or worse, the most important world building is cut from the theatrical version Dare Devil was a victim of this too) or Green Lantern and most Fox movies.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:51 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
Recently saw Logan for the first time. Incredible! I'm a fan of the X-man comics from the '80's, but have not been extremely impressed by most of the films (even though I've seen all of them). The only one I really liked (prior to Logan) was X-men: Apocalypse.

Logan
is simply an amazing super-hero/action/sci-fi/road trip film. I liked the futuristic time period - not too far into the future, but just enough that there were some differences to our time period (the "automated" buses, etc.). Also, the story was fantastic - following an aging, sick Logan as essentially the "last X-man" having to both protect Professor X, and also help the little kid (X-23) get to her destination - very gripping, with amazing action scenes. I also liked the themes of: The passing of one generation (Logan) to make way for the next (X-23 & her fellow child mutants) & self-sacrifice.

And, I appreciated the homage to the classic western Shane.
Spoiler
Professor X & X-23 were watching this in the hotel room, and X-23 quoted this at the very end of the film - when Logan was buried. Logan was obviously similar to Shane in that film, given that he was an aging fighter who had decided to help save innocent people he cared about, even though he endangered himself doing so (at the end of the Shane novel (not so much the film) it's heavily implied that he's mortally wounded, as he rides off into the sunset).

The little kid who played X-23 was incredible; very good acting here. As with the little kid who played "Eleven" (in last year's amazing Netflix "Stranger Things" series), most of her acting was done via her facial expressions.

The scenes with the farmers/homesteaders were great; This was another obvious "Shane" reference,
Spoiler
though in this case Logan couldn't save them, but instead was indirectly responsible for their all being killed (given that he inadvertently led the bad guys to their farm).

Other than the principal actors (Jackman, Stewart, etc.) it was cool to see some other familiar faces in this film:

Eriq La Salle played the homesteader/farmer; I remember him as Doctor Benton in the iconic series ER (1994 - 2009), one of my favorite TV dramas.

Elizabeth Rodriguez played Gabriela Lopez, the nurse who was protecting X-23 in the beginning; she's a great actress, and plays Aleida Diaz in another of my favorite dramas, Orange is the new Black.

Side-notes:

It was also interesting to see Logan & others reading/looking at old X-man comics; this is the first X-men film (that I remember) in which actual older comic series was referenced - presumably both the comic series & the X-men themselves existed in Logan's world - possibly the comic writers in this world were basing the series on "real life" with a lot of obvious embellishment/exaggeration - based on Logan saying that "this never happened that way", etc. - while reading the comic.

The "death" of most of the other X-men was referenced in this film, but not a lot of detail was given. I know Logan was based on the comic series "Old Man Logan", which I've never read; I've barely read any X-men comics since the late '80's. However, considering I liked the film so much I'll probably check out the series at some point - I suspect that will give more detail on some of the events referenced in the film.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:27 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post

The "death" of most of the other X-men was referenced in this film, but not a lot of detail was given. I know Logan was based on the comic series "Old Man Logan", which I've never read; I've barely read any X-men comics since the late '80's. However, considering I liked the film so much I'll probably check out the series at some point - I suspect that will give more detail on some of the events referenced in the film.

Appreciate and agree with your comments.

But, no, "Old Man Logan" is very, different, extremely different from the film in what happened to the other X-Men. In fact, it's quite distasteful (and using that word is almost a reference to what happened to them). Except for a similarity in the concept of an "old man Logan," the stories are not the same.

What happened to the other X-Men in the film is that Xavier killed them with his first mental seizure. That is established in the film in some brief references.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:36 AM

^^^I think the movie also hints that one or two of the X-Men may have died in battle. That would certainly help explain why Logan is so upset by Laura's obsession with the old X-Men comics (with their sanitized portrayal of the X-Men's past exploits). But, yes, the movie certainly makes it clear that Professor X accidentally killed most of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies