U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:01 AM

8,477 posts, read 4,528,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Although, I'm thinking that the studio wanted the surprises in the movie to be a 'surprise' and that word of mouth would make this movie a big hit. However, it looks like it's not turning out to be that way.
My perception of studios and how they feel about spoilers is all they care about is the bottom line - box office - selling tickets. If a major spoiler became an outrage on social whathaveyou then they'd sure as h*ll care about that. The people who make trailers use music that is not even in the film most of the time - they don't care if they reveal plot points or spoil / reveal storylines that is better left as surprises for those seeing the movie for the first time.

With The Accountant's trailer, which I saw before another movie a while ago, it did it's job. Ben Affleck with a .50 cal? Anna Kendrick? I knew I wanted to see it at the theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 08:54 AM

15,312 posts, read 46,104,885 times
I enjoyed the film because the underlying plot had fewer holes than a lot of movies these days. That said, I rewatched "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" the night before and the amount of screen time spent on impossible situations involving gunfire and amazing "daring doo" is just plain tedious. Look, you KNOW the protagonist isn't going to die in these scenes, the amount of choreography and gymnastics is limited unless you want to dress the opponents in leotards and tights, and filming low light is almost as "Blair Witch" as shakey cam. ONE sniper in a concealed position and the protagonist is dead. Reacting to a bullet wound pain isn't more than introductory acting 101.

There was a fair amount of unintentional disservice to aspies in the plot, but that is to be expected from Hollywood. Monk with a gun.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:09 PM

20,532 posts, read 53,284,836 times
We were pleasantly surprised. Took the whole family not knowing what to expect other than recommendations form friends "It is really good" Our family has very different tastes, 1 likes mostly dry sarcastic humor, 2 like action and suspense, 1 likes talking animals (Disney) and Anime; 1 hates movies generally; 1 is a hardcore feminist/social policy fairness type, and pretty much only likes movies that promote causes; 1 is very mainstream, likes what is popular.

No one really expected to like this movie. It was a compromise and a accommodation to Dad because co-workers had vehemently suggested it.

We usually got to 2-3 movies a year together (or watch them at the same time but separately because of where everyone lives now), so if we go to a movie, it had better be marvelous.

Everyone loved this movie. It has something for everyone and nothing to offend bore or disgust anyone. Best new movie I have seen in some time, probably years (when was American Sniper? that was the last movie I liked this much).

Old 10-28-2016, 09:26 PM

10,166 posts, read 8,557,518 times
Excellently done! Great cast!
Loved the plot and big time loved all the twists...very unexpected.
Loved the role of the dad and the combat training the brothers did.
Jean Smart, John Lithgow...wow.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We were pleasantly surprised. Took the whole family not knowing what to expect other than recommendations form friends "It is really good" Our family has very different tastes, 1 likes mostly dry sarcastic humor, 2 like action and suspense, 1 likes talking animals (Disney) and Anime; 1 hates movies generally; 1 is a hardcore feminist/social policy fairness type, and pretty much only likes movies that promote causes; 1 is very mainstream, likes what is popular.

No one really expected to like this movie. It was a compromise and a accommodation to Dad because co-workers had vehemently suggested it.

We usually got to 2-3 movies a year together (or watch them at the same time but separately because of where everyone lives now), so if we go to a movie, it had better be marvelous.

Everyone loved this movie. It has something for everyone and nothing to offend bore or disgust anyone. Best new movie I have seen in some time, probably years (when was American Sniper? that was the last movie I liked this much).
I think there's a lot going for it. There's the
Spoiler
Robin Hood aspect - taking from the criminals and giving to the Institute. And Anna Kendrick makes a perfect Maid Marian and just glows on the screen like Olivia de Havilland did in The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) Technicolor masterpiece. For a moment I had a notion that she would somehow produce that last piece in the puzzle shown near the beginning, but then we find out the other girl was the computer assistant. There's also the family aspect to the story, brothers separated and reunited.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:54 PM

7,870 posts, read 8,814,789 times
I went reluctantly but was pleasantly surprised. Affleck has definitely moved his acting in the right direction, i.e., staying subtle and letting the other actors have their say.

Agree that the preview reel did not convey well what the movie was really about.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:54 PM

1,893 posts, read 415,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
My perception of studios and how they feel about spoilers is all they care about is the bottom line - box office - selling tickets. If a major spoiler became an outrage on social whathaveyou then they'd sure as h*ll care about that. The people who make trailers use music that is not even in the film most of the time - they don't care if they reveal plot points or spoil / reveal storylines that is better left as surprises for those seeing the movie for the first time.
Actually, I think that has changed since the movie The Sixth Sense. Because that is a movie that you have to not know about the plot twist at the end in order to enjoy that film. And it seems like ever since then, the studios have been careful about not revealing spoilers. And that's the same thing with many articles about movies and TV shows where they give you ample warning about spoilers before they discuss them.

However, perhaps the studios have been too careful in wanting to reveal too much about this movie?

Quote:
With The Accountant's trailer, which I saw before another movie a while ago, it did it's job. Ben Affleck with a .50 cal? Anna Kendrick? I knew I wanted to see it at the theater.
But still, from what I could see from the video that I posted, I could still see how a lot of people were either clueless about what this movie was really about... or they came to the conclusion that they weren't interested in what they thought that this movie was really about.

Especially in consideration that this movie has only grossed $55 million domestically, and will probably not surpass $75 million domestically:

The Accountant (2016) - Daily Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

Old 10-29-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Especially in consideration that this movie has only grossed $55 million domestically, and will probably not surpass $75 million domestically:

The Accountant (2016) - Daily Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo
I don't worry about box office.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:18 PM

1,893 posts, read 415,293 times
Quote:
I don't worry about box office.
But you kind of have to because like with ratings for television, the success of a TV show or a movie determines if they will make new seasons or sequels.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:31 PM

62,482 posts, read 51,824,002 times
I didn't like it at all. I thought it would be more about the kid's process of overcoming his autism, being discovered as a math savant, and all that, with less emphasis on the crime aspect. I wouldn't have gone to see it if I'd known it was all about shootouts and other violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies