Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 03:50 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Would love to see this movie.

Most likely it will have moments of typical military movie cliches, but overall the story is amazing and I expect the movie will be too.

I remember reading about Desmond many years ago, and thought they should make a movie on him.

His religious beliefs prevented him from killing another fellow human being, a belief he held steadfast to despite being treated badly for it by his fellow soldiers. But at the same time he was still a patriot and wanted to serve his country without having to fire a weapon.

That he earned a Medal of Honor on the hellhole of Okinawa despite this belief, is testament to his courage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-1hz1juBI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 08:49 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Directed by Mel Gibson. I'll see this at the theater. ...

Old 10-31-2016, 03:41 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Directed by Mel Gibson. I'll see this at the theater. ...
Me too. I like Gibson and try to support his movies above all others.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:09 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Looks like a winner. Gibson does war pretty well.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:13 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Looks like a winner. Gibson does war pretty well.
We Were Soldiers wasn't bad as I recall. Not a great film, though, like Full Metal Jacket or Das Boot.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:09 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Braveheart....a true classic. Few others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
We Were Soldiers wasn't bad as I recall. Not a great film, though, like Full Metal Jacket or Das Boot.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:29 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
I saw it this afternoon.

The battle action scenes in the second half of this film serve to dispel any notion of "the glory of war."

Okinawa was a meat grinder by anyone's analysis, with tremendous casualties from tough close-in fighting against determined Japanese resistance that lasted two months. It's a big island.

Desmond Doss put forth a tremendous effort to rescue the wounded at grave risk to his own safety.

Vince Vaughn, known for his comedy roles, is notable as the platoon sergeant.

A very good film, but I'd suggest leaving the kids home on this one. All those not yet in HS anyway. Very bloody.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:48 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,141 times
I definitely want to see this one. great story and being directed by Mel Gibson and starring Andrew Garfield makes it more intriguing!

Old 11-07-2016, 06:02 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
We saw it yesterday: a great movie indeed. One leaves the theater awestruck by the heroic action of Desmond Doss on the top of that ridge. Of course, one is also reminded of how horrible the battle of Okinawa was.

The ending was wonderful, with clips of interviews with some of the participants, including Mr. Doss in 2003. One soldier (Mr. Glover, if I recall the name rightly) spoke of one incident that was featured during the film: about how one badly injured soldier was telling Doss "I can't see, I'm blind", at which Doss uses water to wipe all the dirt and gore and blood off the man's face, allowing him to open his eyes and exclaim "I can see!', and giving the biggest smile imaginable. It is but a small, 30 second part of the movie, but gives one an idea of how Mr. Gibson paid attention to these small details.

Great movies are usually great due to the attention to such small details.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:21 PM

934 posts, read 1,127,808 times
I saw this. I had no problems with the actors. I did have some issues with some of the melodrama. Also some questions: The rope is dripping with blood....from where? There are no bodies at the top. The ropes don't appear saturated. Is this rope stigmata? Also, the scene of the father going to the miltary tribunal is ridiculous. That would NEVER have happened. And it didn't. I also wonder how Doss would feel about how his father was portrayed. And last...what the hell was that Flashdance moment with the water!? Other than that it was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies