U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 PM

2,785 posts, read 920,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Thanks for posting the link to that article! What a sad story. It sounds like Mr. Ditko went the way of Dave Sim, who slowly went off the rails toward the end of Cerberus the Aardvark's run (to the book's detriment).
Yeah, that's a great article. I admit I haven't followed Ditko's post-Marvel career. Since he was work-for-hire, I was wondering how he got by (and "incorrectly" assumed he still got royalties for various things). Then we got to the bit about a certain check having "too many zeros." So obviously the ol' guy's taken care of, to some degree.

Sim's story is also an interesting one. He was the first guy to offer the trade editions ("phone books," as he called them back then) of Cerebus directly to readers and shops by mail order, a brazen move that pissed off the distributors. But Sim did quite well for himself.

Bone creator Jeff Smith's also done quite well, and getting his creation reprinted by Scholastic was no doubt a fine payday — the same for Wendy & Richard Pini, after Marvel reprinted Elfquest in color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 12:36 PM

12,286 posts, read 16,909,776 times
Finally watched this.

Meh. Marvel's most mediocre movie to date.

Nothing in it was outright bad. Nothing in it was spectacularly good. Just ... whatever. The director seemed to devote all the love and attention to the special effects rather than the story. Mads Mikkelsen and Rachel McAdams were criminally under-used.

This movie needed 20 minutes fewer special effects and 40 minutes more actual story.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:10 PM

I don't believe you, Mark. I think the movie's Groundhog Day-styled ending gave you a stiffy.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:02 PM

1,131 posts, read 574,353 times
The visuals were really good. I wish I had seen it in IMAX. Benjamin Cumberbatch looked exactly like Dr. Strange. The story/plot wasn't mind blowing at all. Mainly I think it's because it's hard to fit in all the details of the comics into a short origin film. Also, the main villain, Kacilious (sp?), got hardly any screen time. Also some plot holes, but overall it was still enjoyable.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The visuals were really good. I wish I had seen it in IMAX. Benjamin Cumberbatch looked exactly like Dr. Strange. The story/plot wasn't mind blowing at all. Mainly I think it's because it's hard to fit in all the details of the comics into a short origin film. Also, the main villain, Kacilious (sp?), got hardly any screen time. Also some plot holes, but overall it was still enjoyable.
A lot of what makes Strange Strange was jettisoned in favor of making the Doctor more generic. Doing away with the incantations made him more generic. Making his powers look like the same abilities wielded by others of his ilk made him more generic. Turning the Eye of Agamotto into an Infinity Gem made him more generic, too. And then they used the stupid Jedi master-padawan-Jedi-Sith motif, and it had no place in this movie.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I don't believe you, Mark. I think the movie's Groundhog Day-styled ending gave you a stiffy.
Hm. Bill Murray as Doctor Strange? Yeah, I'd watch that.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
A lot of what makes Strange Strange was jettisoned in favor of making the Doctor more generic. Doing away with the incantations made him more generic. Making his powers look like the same abilities wielded by others of his ilk made him more generic. Turning the Eye of Agamotto into an Infinity Gem made him more generic, too. And then they used the stupid Jedi master-padawan-Jedi-Sith motif, and it had no place in this movie.
Wow. I agreed with everything you wrote. This is a first!

This movie had a very "manufactured" feel to it. No craft at all. This movie seemed designed by committee, not crafted by an artist.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Wow. I agreed with everything you wrote. This is a first!

This movie had a very "manufactured" feel to it. No craft at all. This movie seemed designed by committee, not crafted by an artist.
We're on the same page! Holy Bat Committee!

Old 04-03-2017, 04:59 PM

5,693 posts, read 3,222,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Won't say anything about the movie itself except that changes were minor and reasonable, that it was visually stunning, and that Cumberbatch NAILED IT!

Instead, I want to say that I was a huge fan of his comic book series, from both the 70's-80's, and the 90's reboot. I also liked the Defenders. Stange was a useful character to the Marvel writers because he was their eternal deus ex machina--whenever reality altering events would take place, Strange would fix it, and cast a spell so that no one remembered.

He was never the most popular guy on his own because the story lines were surreal, esoteric, and not for everyone's taste. I never thought that in my lifetime they would make a good adaptaion (the 70's attempt at a TV series as laughable). But they did, and although I am not a 3-D fan, I ended up seeing it in 3-D by accident, and that is THE way to see it.

Make Mine Marvel.
This is exactly why I avoided it until I got the Blu-Ray a couple days ago... I was blown away... I'd never been a Strange fan, I'd never been a Cumberbatch fan. I am now.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
This is exactly why I avoided it until I got the Blu-Ray a couple days ago... I was blown away... I'd never been a Strange fan, I'd never been a Cumberbatch fan. I am now.
Check out Cumberbatch in Sherlock if you really want to see him in his element.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies