U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2016, 12:43 AM
 
2,261 posts, read 1,473,389 times
Reputation: 4309

Advertisements

Won't say anything about the movie itself except that changes were minor and reasonable, that it was visually stunning, and that Cumberbatch NAILED IT!

Instead, I want to say that I was a huge fan of his comic book series, from both the 70's-80's, and the 90's reboot. I also liked the Defenders. Stange was a useful character to the Marvel writers because he was their eternal deus ex machina--whenever reality altering events would take place, Strange would fix it, and cast a spell so that no one remembered.

He was never the most popular guy on his own because the story lines were surreal, esoteric, and not for everyone's taste. I never thought that in my lifetime they would make a good adaptaion (the 70's attempt at a TV series as laughable). But they did, and although I am not a 3-D fan, I ended up seeing it in 3-D by accident, and that is THE way to see it.

Make Mine Marvel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2016, 12:00 PM
 
2,496 posts, read 788,872 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Won't say anything about the movie itself except that changes were minor and reasonable, that it was visually stunning, and that Cumberbatch NAILED IT!

Instead, I want to say that I was a huge fan of his comic book series, from both the 70's-80's, and the 90's reboot. I also liked the Defenders. Stange was a useful character to the Marvel writers because he was their eternal deus ex machina--whenever reality altering events would take place, Strange would fix it, and cast a spell so that no one remembered.

He was never the most popular guy on his own because the story lines were surreal, esoteric, and not for everyone's taste. I never thought that in my lifetime they would make a good adaptaion (the 70's attempt at a TV series as laughable). But they did, and although I am not a 3-D fan, I ended up seeing it in 3-D by accident, and that is THE way to see it.

Make Mine Marvel.
Ditto. Strange is one of Marvel's best characters. There are a lot of problems with the movie. Texturally, it's too one-note. It should have been the origin movie that took the #1 slot from Iron Man, but it's not. Everything's a simplistic, direct, overt (too obvious). The Ancient One waxes on about perceived realities and inner enlightenment. Strange is the Most Arrogant Guy on Earth. Mordo watches Strange save the Earth, but because he messed with Natural Law, he ditches him, anyway. Kaecilius (another great actor wasted in a lame role), in true MCU fashion, is a stock one-note villain who turns out to worship Dormammu. Too much kung fu in a movie that should be about occult magic. Then they went and made the Eye of Agamotto the Time Stone, which, to me, is unnecessary.

The movie's getting raves and I think it's because it plays it so safe. Pretty much this:

https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com...octor-strange/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2016, 05:32 PM
 
2,417 posts, read 4,411,378 times
Reputation: 4733
I started feeling bored with it in the second half....was ready for it to hurry up and be over with. Could be that I just didn't like Strange himself. His arrogance was off-putting. (I thought Cumberbatch was great. When is he NOT great?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2016, 05:53 PM
 
2,261 posts, read 1,473,389 times
Reputation: 4309
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Ditto. Strange is one of Marvel's best characters.
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
There are a lot of problems with the movie. Texturally, it's too one-note. It should have been the origin movie that took the #1 slot from Iron Man, but it's not. Everything's a simplistic, direct, overt (too obvious).
Its an origin movie for some very difficult material. To each their own and I respect your opinion. This picking up from the start, and their will be sequals fleshing things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The Ancient One waxes on about perceived realities and inner enlightenment.
Well, yeah. That is what the comic book is about. There is an entire multiverse out there and we are in the cave with the candle, seeing the shadows of reality dancing on the walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Strange is the Most Arrogant Guy on Earth.
Well, yeah again. That is his story arc. If I remeber correctly he turned to alcoholism too. But that is the idea, he was an arrogant materialist who was humbled and learned a new way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Mordo watches Strange save the Earth, but because he messed with Natural Law, he ditches him, anyway.
Actually, he was done with the order because he was disenchanted about The Ancient One using power from the Dark Dimenison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Kaecilius (another great actor wasted in a lame role), in true MCU fashion, is a stock one-note villain who turns out to worship Dormammu. .
A) He actually was fairly complex in that he genuinely did not know the right and wrong of the situation. He thought he was the hero. Also, because of the Ancient One's action, he was right to be confused and call her a hypocrite.

B) Again, we are just getting started. Those of us who read the comics know who the real villain is going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Too much kung fu in a movie that should be about occult magic.
They definately changed the nature of the magic. I can't blame you a bit for not liking that, but it does look better visually than dueling energy bursts and in reality, the Ancient One is clearly a Zen Buddhist inspired character even in the comic books. I think they were going for Jedi Knight. Again, not faulting you for not liking it. I was all right with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Then they went and made the Eye of Agamotto the Time Stone, which, to me, is unnecessary.
Movies are different from comics. They are going to have an infinity gauntlet storyline and they only have so much "text" to do it. I am not thrilled about it, but I get it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The movie's getting raves and I think it's because it plays it so safe. Pretty much this:

https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com...octor-strange/
Sorry you didn't like. I did.

As for this article, I stop reading immediately whenever someone starts crying about "cultural appropriation" and "whitewashing."

A) I don't get mad when Asian people use aiplanes or automobiles, even though white men invented manned flight and the internal combustion engine. It is a stupid thing to worry about for people with too much time on their hands and a penchant for grievance.

B) The Marvel Universe was created by white guys and people have a right to tell their stories. Again, I don't go to Asian writers and tell them they have to create more white characters, even when they drive cars and take airplanes.

I will never read a review by his idiotic author again who obvioulsy, in the interest of fairness, wants Asians to stop using quantum physics, general relativity, atomic energy, etc.

Last edited by cachibatches; 11-07-2016 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2016, 08:08 PM
 
2,496 posts, read 788,872 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Its an origin movie for some very difficult material. To each their own and I respect your opinion. This picking up from the start, and their will be sequals fleshing things out.
Not at all. Not any more difficult than relating the origins of Superman, Spider-Man or Conan the Cimmerian. The source material is already there. With occult/magic/supernatural subjects, there are no empirical limitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Well, yeah. That is what the comic book is about. There is an entire multiverse out there and we are in the cave with the candle, seeing the shadows of reality dancing on the walls.
They still could have done a little more. The whole first half of the movie felt rushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Well, yeah again. That is his story arc. If I remeber correctly he turned to alcoholism too. But that is the idea, he was an arrogant materialist who was humbled and learned a new way of life.
He was arrogant, but it was dialed up for the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Actually, he was done with the order because he was disenchanted about The Ancient One using power from the Dark Dimenison.
But he wouldn't have walked away from her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
A) He actually was fairly complex in that he genuinely did not know the right and wrong of the situation. He thought he was the hero. Also, because of the Ancient One's action, he was right to be confused and call her a hypocrite.
Heroes don't go around killing and maiming their former stablemates at will. He was clearly conscious of right and wrong. He simply thought his actions were justified. It doesn't change the fact that he was another one-dimensional Marvel villain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
B) Again, we are just getting started. Those of us who read the comics know who the real villain is going to be.
But as you say below, they change stuff for the movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
They definately changed the nature of the magic. I can't blame you a bit for not liking that, but it does look better visually than dueling energy bursts and in reality, the Ancient One is clearly a Zen Buddhist inspired character even in the comic books. I think they were going for Jedi Knight. Again, not faulting you for not liking it. I was all right with it.
You don't have to think it. When TAO (convenient acronym, huh?) shows up during the third round of Inception antics (where she's revealed to draw energy from the D.D.), the dialogue lent a deliberate air of Jedi/Sith sentimentality, and that was very hard to miss. And it didn't belong in this movie. But Disney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Movies are different from comics. They are going to have an infinity gauntlet storyline and they only have so much "text" to do it. I am not thrilled about it, but I get it.
Movies are different from comics, but they're based on comics, and not all changes are for the better. I wanted to see Doctor Strange, not Cousin of Tony Stark, or Uncle of Ant-Man, if you get my drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Sorry you didn't like. I did.
Oh, it was entertaining, but I wanted it to knock me out with its occult-American thighs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
As for this article, I stop reading immediately whenever someone starts crying about "cultural appropriation" and "whitewashing."

A) I don't get mad when Asian people use aiplanes or automobiles, even though white men invented manned flight and the internal combustion engine. It is a stupid thing to worry about for people with too much time on their hands and a penchant for grievance.

B) The Marvel Universe was created by white guys and people have a right to tell their stories. Again, I don't go to Asian writers and tell them they have to create more white characters, even when they drive cars and take airplanes.

I will never read a review by his idiotic author again who obvioulsy, in the interest of fairness, wants Asians to stop using quantum physics, general relativity, atomic energy, etc.
Uh. Okay. He's far from the only person to address the casting of Tilda Swinton, though. Her casting had nothing to do with why the film couldn't have been more than it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2016, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Greenville, Sc
7,761 posts, read 5,734,085 times
Reputation: 6385
We're going to see it Saturday a friend of mine saw it & said that you can't leave to go the bathroom, etc.
If you do then you'll be lost & of course the cape stole the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2016, 10:18 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
7,547 posts, read 7,939,933 times
Reputation: 10218
Haven't seen it yet, but read that the producers moved The Ancient One's temple from the original setting in Tibet to Nepal, just so the Chinese government wouldn't get "offended" by the reference to Tibet, which could potentially cost revenue. I feel a bit turned off by this, and uneasy about patronizing that kind of political pandering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Greenville, Sc
7,761 posts, read 5,734,085 times
Reputation: 6385
We saw it last night really enjoyed the movie! I could complain about little things but as we've spoke before these movies are made for the GP then then fans. Even with that said we loved the movie!


I didn't have a problem with the Ancient one talking about the occult or magick. After all Dr. Strange himself became the master of the mystic arts. So if there was too much talk about it for some then this wasn't the movie for you. I loved the two scenes of the end of the movie.


One before the credits & one after if you missed it you might regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 11:59 AM
 
2,496 posts, read 788,872 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I didn't have a problem with the Ancient one talking about the occult or magick. After all Dr. Strange himself became the master of the mystic arts. So if there was too much talk about it for some then this wasn't the movie for you.
There's wasn't enough talk. Strange didn't utter one incantation, either. Like a guy pointed out on another forum site, the powers we saw all looked like they could have been performed by one of the X-mutants. The exception, of course, being the Eye of Agamotto.

For me, too much of it was rooted in kung fu. It's an entertaining movie, if a bit rushed (felt about 10-15 minutes too short), but it should have been the first solo origin movie to really rival Iron Man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 12:16 PM
 
2,496 posts, read 788,872 times
Reputation: 1503
"The Mystic Arts involve drawing energy from dimensions and channeling it for your own use... these are known as spells. But if you find that word too antiquated, we can use program or source code."

To me, that's cheesy and really vanilla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top