U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2016, 05:17 AM
 
10,693 posts, read 5,519,987 times
Reputation: 17335

Advertisements

Despite some of the white washing controversy, trailer looks interesting.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VmJcZR0Yg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2017, 08:27 PM
 
10,693 posts, read 5,519,987 times
Reputation: 17335
Latest trailer, movie coming out in a few weeks and I'm actually excited for it.

Never saw the anime original.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkb1X9ovI4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 12:59 PM
 
2,682 posts, read 1,403,096 times
Reputation: 4505
I don't know why, but I kept confusing this movie with Ghost of Mars. People would ask me if I was seeing the Ghost in the Shell live action and I was like the 2001 movie? Totally not the same thing. I have never seen the anime Ghost in the Shell, but now I am quite curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 03:21 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 509,461 times
Reputation: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I don't know why, but I kept confusing this movie with Ghost of Mars. People would ask me if I was seeing the Ghost in the Shell live action and I was like the 2001 movie? Totally not the same thing. I have never seen the anime Ghost in the Shell, but now I am quite curious.
As someone who dismissed the controversy as misinformation, I would recommend watching the anime (1995 film). It's philosophical hard sci-fi a la Blade Runner (or, The Matrix, which famously ripped off the 1995 film), if you're interested in that sort of thing. This live-action movie appears to lean towards a typical mystery/revenge plot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2017, 02:21 PM
 
Location: NYC
9,661 posts, read 5,711,700 times
Reputation: 10127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
As someone who dismissed the controversy as misinformation, I would recommend watching the anime (1995 film). It's philosophical hard sci-fi a la Blade Runner (or, The Matrix, which famously ripped off the 1995 film), if you're interested in that sort of thing. This live-action movie appears to lean towards a typical mystery/revenge plot.
Sounds like you're the misinformed one. The story goes that a Japanese woman died and they took her body and rebuilds it into a white woman? That isn't white washing? Lol? When's the last time you watched anime?

Why didn't they let her keep her hair and natural looks? They gave her an Asian look to try to retain the originality of the anime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2017, 05:18 PM
 
3,538 posts, read 1,203,097 times
Reputation: 2016
Not interested in this at all. ScarJo looks nude, which is great, but if I want to see her in the buff, that's what Under the Skin is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 509,461 times
Reputation: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Sounds like you're the misinformed one. The story goes that a Japanese woman died and they took her body and rebuilds it into a white woman? That isn't white washing? Lol? When's the last time you watched anime?
This is what I read in my younger days from the author back in the 1990s:

"Obviously an alias." She could be Japanese, but it's never been confirmed what she was originally, and there's plenty of reasons to be skeptical. She could have possibly been born a male. That's the state of that fictional world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2017, 03:21 PM
 
Location: NYC
9,661 posts, read 5,711,700 times
Reputation: 10127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Not interested in this at all. ScarJo looks nude, which is great, but if I want to see her in the buff, that's what Under the Skin is for.
You'll be disappointed because it's heavy CG stuff just like Ex Machina.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
This is what I read in my younger days from the author back in the 1990s:

"Obviously an alias." She could be Japanese, but it's never been confirmed what she was originally, and there's plenty of reasons to be skeptical. She could have possibly been born a male. That's the state of that fictional world.
That's a direct translation from the Japanese perspective which assumes she is of the same race as the readers. I get why they do it because if Gits features a real Japanese star, it would tank in the box office.

It's the same excuse when they cast a white guy to play Goku for DBZ. When Goku is just an alias right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2017, 05:18 PM
 
3,538 posts, read 1,203,097 times
Reputation: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You'll be disappointed because it's heavy CG stuff just like Ex Machina.
ScarJo's nudity isn't CG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2017, 07:41 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 509,461 times
Reputation: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's a direct translation from the Japanese perspective which assumes she is of the same race as the readers.
Thanks for speaking on behalf of the comic's creator. I hope you're able to comprehend how insulting that is. What is your source of that information, anyway?
And again, "she?" That was never confirmed by the creator.

The creator's different comics all have incredibly detailed worlds, and he doesn't mince the ethnicity/background of his characters (in one of his comics, the main character is specified to be Japanese and a practicing Buddhist who still lives with her parents; in another comic, the main character is specified to be multi-ethnic, mostly white and black).
The mysterious background of Ghost in the Shell's main character, after 25+ years since the first comic, is glaring and intentional. Meanwhile, characters in GitS who are specified to be Japanese, happen to be portrayed by Japanese actors in this movie.

Having said that, the live action movie is adapting the story in a very different direction than the original comic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top