Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2016, 07:46 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

If you watch this great old movie again notice the mens jackets are burgunday with pale grey a lot, in fact its worn a lot in the film , even the train interior has blinds curtains and seats all the same colour, was it to give it the Xmas feel or a colour popular at the time in the early 50s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I don't see a lot of burgundy. There is a lot of grey and some brown, but mostly I think because the bright colors were reserved for the big splashy production numbers.

If you want an entertaining, snarky synopsis of the movie, check out this post. It's an annual tradition on these fashion bloggers' site.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't see a lot of burgundy. There is a lot of grey and some brown, but mostly I think because the bright colors were reserved for the big splashy production numbers.

If you want an entertaining, snarky synopsis of the movie, check out this post. It's an annual tradition on these fashion bloggers' site.
I was about six when I first saw this film and my aunt had married about a year before and she wore a pale blue grey skirt suit and a deep red or burgundy hate and handbag, and I wondered if it was a fashion thing then or a xmasy colour for the film.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...as_trailer.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._trailer_2.jpg

Old 12-06-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I was about six when I first saw this film and my aunt had married about a year before and she wore a pale blue grey skirt suit and a deep red or burgundy hate and handbag, and I wondered if it was a fashion thing then or a xmasy colour for the film.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...as_trailer.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._trailer_2.jpg
The photos you linked to are of jackets that are worn for literally about 30 seconds of the film, and it's not during a Christmas number. And I'm not sure what your aunt wearing burgundy when she got married has to do with Christmas.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:49 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
I'm wondering if the colors in the film were selected by Technicolor. That company used to have great influence in the film industry, with one particular woman (whose name I forget) being quite dictatorial.

Actually, in terms of color, what I remember most from the film is the totally gray outfit -- including shoes -- that Danny Kaye wore in the dance number in Florida.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The photos you linked to are of jackets that are worn for literally about 30 seconds of the film, and it's not during a Christmas number. And I'm not sure what your aunt wearing burgundy when she got married has to do with Christmas.
it has nothing to do with christmas what she wore, what I meant , was it a fashion thing , both colours around that time or was it the xmas theme of the film giving them deep red clothes to wear, not a big deal, but Ive watched it many times and noticed how often the colour is used,

Old 12-06-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm wondering if the colors in the film were selected by Technicolor. That company used to have great influence in the film industry, with one particular woman (whose name I forget) being quite dictatorial.

Actually, in terms of color, what I remember most from the film is the totally gray outfit -- including shoes -- that Danny Kaye wore in the dance number in Florida.
yes thats right, grey was worn quite a bit, even the grey shoes that both wore in the club they were appearing,did anyone know that the older sister Rosemary Clooney was in fact seven years younger than Vera Ellen.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
it has nothing to do with christmas what she wore, what I meant , was it a fashion thing , both colours around that time or was it the xmas theme of the film giving them deep red clothes to wear, not a big deal, but Ive watched it many times and noticed how often the colour is used,
Grey was used quite a bit, but as I mentioned before, that was largely because the bright colors were largely reserved for the musical numbers. I didn't notice that there was much deep red or burgundy. There was plenty of bright red, again in the musical numbers.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Grey was used quite a bit, but as I mentioned before, that was largely because the bright colors were largely reserved for the musical numbers. I didn't notice that there was much deep red or burgundy. There was plenty of bright red, again in the musical numbers.
Ill try and get some stills for you to show you what I mean, I think the director maybe did it on purpose to create the xmas theme throughout. but I wanted more to know if it was then a fashion colour.The part of Danny Kaye was offered first to Fred Astaire who turned it down, then Kaye was actually the third choice; after Astaire turned down the role, it was subsequently offered to Donald O’Connor, who had to pull out due to illness. Between Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney there was a 25 year age gap although it didnt look like it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies