Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:44 PM

15,814 posts, read 6,875,976 times

Advertisements

We went with 2 other couples. All us women loved it. All the men hated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 06:17 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,079,009 times
Kenneth Lonergan did an outstanding job here, and is a worth follow up to his Margaret (2011) (which stars Anna Paquin, who made her acting debut in The Piano, which I just rewatched). He is added to my list of directors to follow. The penultimate scene lasts a few minutes, but is worth the price of admission by itself. The theater got really dusty at that moment.

Spoiler
Lee and Randi meet in the street.

Spoiler
A lesser director would have shown the three pictures in black frames. Chuckled a bit when they showed how he got the chair and couch he's seen throwing away into the dumpster later on in the film. Two kids from Wes Anderson's Moonlight Kingdom star - his first girlfriend Silvie / Kara Hayward, and Patrick / Lucas Hedges.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:30 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,117,902 times
We thought it was a great independent production----very well directed and a fine cast.
It was a remarkable story of family tragedy and family responsibility.
The movie did have a melancholy tone and feel to it-----not a mood lifter.
That being said we liked the story immensely and I would recommend it if you a willing to see a family ordeal measured by some highs and a lot of valleys.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:35 AM

866 posts, read 625,283 times
Default Manchester by the Sea SUCKS!

Manchester by the Sea SUCKS! It's a very depressing and way to long film about some folks who all carry unresolved, unhappy and ANGRY feelings that are never explained in the film and it just relies on very crude language to make any points at all. There is almost NO humor in there and a lot of emotional disturbances that are NEVER RESOLVED with a very bad ending to boot!

Old 12-21-2016, 03:41 AM

866 posts, read 625,283 times
Worst and most DEPRESSING film I've ever sat through and WAY TOO LONG for such a pointless story. The whole film is about repressed painful feelings that are never explained in any way and how the lead character occasionally EXPLODES whenever he is triggered.
Lousy movie!

Old 12-21-2016, 08:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,211,093 times
I didn't know it was going to be so melancholy and a friend said depressing.
Sorry, I just don't need that in my life.
I'm sure it is well done, tho.
I'm going to pass now.

Thank you all for your input.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:48 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,408,162 times
The timing of the release of this movie threw me off a bit, I found the movie depressing and rather strange. For anyone who has lived around an alcoholic they will be all too familiar with the 'trigger' and the fighting. I also thought the foul language was excessive.

The acting was good but overall I really wasn't impressed.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:06 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Has anyone besides me seen this yet? I'm still thinking about it a day later; it's one of the more haunting movies I've seen in recent years.
We saw it on Christmas Day.

I thought it was a great movie, if a tad long.

A couple of the scenes really, really stuck with me.

Spoiler
The scene where he grabbed the cop's gun and put it to his head; and the scene where he and Michelle Williams met on the street. WOW.

My son is a writer and he REALLY liked it.

Sad and haunting with beautiful scenery and music.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:42 AM

6,954 posts, read 11,991,478 times
I was confused from the very beginning. Who was George to the family? And who was the blonde woman in the hospital room who got upset and left? George's wife? I thought she later had long dark hair.

The flashbacks were a little too much to follow. It was a long movie and the ending was VERY disappointing. Everyone just sat there in the theater.

Overall, I would give it an 8 out of 10. The language definitely had way too many "f" words for me.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:31 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,370,553 times
I saw it specifically for the scenery of the New England seaside town. After seeing the movie, I felt like I went on vacation to that town for the entire 2+ hours of the movie. The town is one of the stars of the movie.

It was worth the price of admission just for that part(seaside town) alone, IMO. The character acting was excellent. No bad acting by anyone in the movie.

I wasn't expecting that ending at all. I wonder if they will create a sequel. IMO, it needs a sequel to follow the characters for awhile longer as they progress in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies