U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:11 PM

9,824 posts, read 9,964,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I was confused from the very beginning. Who was George to the family?
Joe's close friend, who was also a friend of the family.

Quote:
And who was the blonde woman in the hospital room who got upset and left?
She was
Spoiler
Joe's wife, who was an alcoholic. They later split up. She was Patrick's mother (played by Gretchen Mol) and after she becomes a recovering alcholic, she remarries and invites Patrick to lunch at the home she shares with her new husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 05:24 PM

4,576 posts, read 6,584,371 times
OK Thanks, now I get it. I also loved the scenery of that beautiful town.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:22 PM

335 posts, read 148,561 times
I live about 30 minutes from the movie location. Good movie.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:00 PM

3,295 posts, read 3,033,382 times
I hated it. Very slow-moving. The whole first hour or so I kept thinking, "It's got to get better! It got such great reviews!" Then the second hour crawled along, and I was still not impressed. Then it finally ended and I said to my husband, "I didn't like that AT ALL." Depressing, dreary, and a very unsatisying ending. And it's not as if I only enjoy comedies or shallow, upbeat movies. I love good dramas, but Manchester By the Sea just didn't do it for me. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone even if it was free on Netflix.

But that's just my opinion.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:09 PM

2,802 posts, read 707,088 times
It doesn't even sound good to me, and after reading this thread, I know I won't bother with it.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:22 AM

2,503 posts, read 1,005,688 times
Just saw this last night (I'm doing the Regal Oscar Movie Marathon and tackling 7 movies in 6 days)

I honestly don't get all the love for this movie. Can't figure out what I'm missing. It was ridiculously slow and morose and took far too long to get to the background of why Affleck's character is the way he is. And then once that background was revealed (which took all of 5-10 minutes), it was pretty much pushed to the back burner with the exception of the appearance of the picture frames, a 5 second "dream" with his daughters, and the last scene with Michelle Williams (who is on my "irrational hate list," but who I have to admit did a good job). It just hung out there but wasn't addressed. The rest of the time was spent waiting through all the requisite pregnant pauses in the dialogue, that if removed could have compressed the movie by a half hour or more.

I will say that the setting was beautiful. But that's pretty much all I enjoyed.

Next up ... Moonlight.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:57 PM

6,652 posts, read 9,361,664 times
I don't go to theaters and am waiting for this to hit Movies on demand. I want to see it.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:14 PM

473 posts, read 118,825 times
Question... Spoiler

Why wouldn't the mother have any claim to him? I can't understand how George could adopt him.
Also, was Randi trying to get back with Lee as a husband or just to heal from the past as people who care about each other?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:19 PM

473 posts, read 118,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't go to theaters and am waiting for this to hit Movies on demand. I want to see it.
It's there today. So is Moonlight, hacksaw ridge and nocturnal animals

Old 02-21-2017, 08:10 PM

2,503 posts, read 1,005,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Question... Spoiler

Why wouldn't the mother have any claim to him? I can't understand how George could adopt him.
Also, was Randi trying to get back with Lee as a husband or just to heal from the past as people who care about each other?
Spoiler
I would imagine that Joe probably had her give up her parental rights when she left them. And it doesn't appear that she (or her fiance) wanted any claim to him. In fact, the fiance told Patrick that all communication should go through him, which leads me to believe that she is still unwell.

And I don't think Randi was trying to get back with him, but just assuage her guilt for the way she treated him after the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies