U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:39 PM

13,145 posts, read 8,625,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes. What stayed with me was the remarkably strong emotional support that so many of the men in the film provided for each other. That was very poignant.
You're right, they did. Wish we could see more of that in movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 PM

36,559 posts, read 33,105,386 times
The scene where he meets up with the ex on the street. Something about that scene just felt real. I mean it just felt real. Maybe the actors were pulling up real stuff, I know that Michelle lost Heath Ledger in a bad way, who knows. I wonder sometimes how people can survive.

I mean how in the hell do you move forward in your life after what happened to the main character.

SPOILERS!!!!!! here.

I just can't imagine waking up every day and knowing that your drunken foolishness caused three beautiful kids to be dead. YOU caused that through your negligence.

I can't imagine the pain and misery of that... I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.

Him not being able to get over it is somewhat understandable. I don't know what I'd do, I probably would have committed suicide.

He was/is a walking dead man, he just wasn't buried........

God damn sad is what it is.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:40 PM

1,901 posts, read 651,614 times
I really liked it when the father wanted to shoot a bullet into his head at the sheriffs office. That was the best part of the movie.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:29 AM

13,145 posts, read 8,625,955 times
Yay, Casey!

lol

Old 03-02-2017, 06:14 AM

6,930 posts, read 9,771,197 times
Just saw this on demand.

I liked it, thought it was well done. I waffle back and forth on whether it was worthy of best pic nomination but since it stuck with me enough to impact my dreams (rare thing) maybe so.

I think at least part of what makes it special is that it doesn't turn into a film of redemption or inspiration. It resists the happy ending. Sure those movies are great, and I can understand that movies and books etc. would be done about what are essentially exceptional events.
But they don't reflect what I see in my life and I get tired of feeling like the only person whose life doesn't consist of regular moments that are accompanied by swelling music and beautiful and extreme great over comings. I don't live in a fantasy and I get tired of seeing it onscreen. It starts to feel like a sort of tyranny of things must always be a brilliant moment of humanity or overcoming. They can never just reflect the more normal more common reality.

Question: Does anyone else wonder if he would have stayed if he hadn't burned the sauce? Was he coming around and that set him back? Or was that more just a vehicle for underlining that he would never be able to risk being emotionally connected again?

The place where he was asking about a job and the woman came out and said "I don't want him around here" This was followed by the scene of him at the car mechanic and walking around a lot. So he was looking for work but not finding any?

I wondered if the community had in the past closed him out and made him a pariah. The hockey coach and a couple of others - "yea that is The Lee Chander" This series of scene's ends with the conversation with his wife who says she should burn in hell for the things she said. She wants to make amends but I got the impression that not all of the rest of the community, other than those close friends, had changed their tune. It was an extremely light way of pointing out that the community may have increased his damage and made any possibility of his being able to get past it impossible. Not there anyway,

Of course the cops interviewing him were really nice. At that moment he not only was expecting to be punished but I think needed it.

Also - does his profession seem purposeful? It doesn't say what he did before. I don't think he fished with his brother but what did he do?
Fixing things, electrical, furnaces etc. keeps people safe. Is that his penance? Subconscious or conscious? (It is a very old timey Catholic view.)

The son bugged me. I thought his acting was fairly bad. When he broke down at the refrigerator his boo hoo was soo bad. As to the character...IDK, I don't think at his age I would have understood that in order to save my uncle from being the walking dead I should move to Boston with him and be there for him and for each other either. But he just seemed so selfish.

Last edited by Giesela; 03-02-2017 at 06:28 AM..

Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 AM

10,577 posts, read 10,695,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Question: Does anyone else wonder if he would have stayed if he hadn't burned the sauce? Was he coming around and that set him back? Or was that more just a vehicle for underlining that he would never be able to risk being emotionally connected again?

The place where he was asking about a job and the woman came out and said "I don't want him around here" This was followed by the scene of him at the car mechanic and walking around a lot. So he was looking for work but not finding any?
He probably started out thinking that he could do this for his nephew. He then realized that he could not, because enough people in the community would never forgive him for his role in the tragedy. And he didn't want to live like that. He had a job in which he could bury his emotions, in a city in which people didn't know his past, and that's all he was emotionally capable of dealing with at that point.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:05 AM

6,930 posts, read 9,771,197 times
All we ever saw was his always planning to go back to Boston. His interim plan required him to have work in Manchester because his plan was to stay till July. I saw his looking for work as a part time thing.

I looked up Patrick's actor. Lucas Hedges. I really did think he was not very good. Sure enough he is the son of an actor, playwright from NYC blah blah.
There is sooooo much nepotism in Hollywood it really dilutes the pool and lowers the bar.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:12 AM

7,581 posts, read 3,703,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
SPOILERS!!!!!! here.

I agree with everything you said. It was a very difficult movie to watch once we found out what happened.

Question though, how/why was Michelle Williams nominated for best supporting actress? She was literally on screen for maybe 10-12 minutes of a 137 minute movie.

Regardless, Manchester was probably my favorite movie of 2016. Casey killed it. I really, really wanted Denzel to win for Fences (probably the best acting performance of his career), but there was only one person who I felt deserved to win over Washington, and that was Casey.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:36 AM

3,023 posts, read 4,867,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I looked up Patrick's actor. Lucas Hedges. I really did think he was not very good. Sure enough he is the son of an actor, playwright from NYC blah blah.
I agree with you, I didn't think he was very good.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:21 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,004,438 times
[quote=Giesela;47370691]Just saw this on demand.

"The place where he was asking about a job and the woman came out and said "I don't want him around here" This was followed by the scene of him at the car mechanic and walking around a lot. So he was looking for work but not finding any?

I wondered if the community had in the past closed him out and made him a pariah. The hockey coach and a couple of others - "yea that is The Lee Chander" This series of scene's ends with the conversation with his wife who says she should burn in hell for the things she said. She wants to make amends but I got the impression that not all of the rest of the community, other than those close friends, had changed their tune. It was an extremely light way of pointing out that the community may have increased his damage and made any possibility of his being able to get past it impossible. Not there anyway,

Of course the cops interviewing him were really nice. At that moment he not only was expecting to be punished but I think needed it."

Thank you! That part was so confusing to me too- when she said "I don't want him around here" wasn't that woman Georges wife?-the same woman who was holding him on the couch while he was crying after the bar fight? Also- I couldn't' make out what the little girl was saying in the dream scene where the sauce was burning and he woke up- I replayed it several times and just couldn't make it out- anybody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies