U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 02:05 PM

46 posts, read 18,117 times

Advertisements

Sad, haunting, and for anyone who has dealt with a real heart wrenching life changing horrific tragedy, totally realistic and perhaps too much for some to stomach. Casey played a grieving person more realistically than I have ever seen on film. It was amazing. IMO, Williams is always great.

I do think the film ended with hope. Not over-the top, but subtle hints of it, like in real life

Last edited by Marshmallow Skies; 03-09-2017 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 10:57 PM

13,145 posts, read 8,625,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I thought it had a somewhat hopeful ending. With all that had happened, he knew he had to move back to Boston and couldnt stay in Manchester-by-the-Sea. He got a two bedroom apartment so that his nephew could come visit and stay with him. He had some closure in his life. So while there wasn't a big dramatic change in his life, I felt he was better off by the end of the movie then where he had been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow Skies View Post
Sad, haunting, and for anyone who has dealt with a real heart wrenching life changing horrific tragedy, totally realistic and perhaps too much for some to stomach. Casey played a grieving person more realistically than I have ever seen on film. It was amazing. IMO, Williams is always great.

I do think the film ended with hope. Not over-the top, but subtle hints of it, like in real life
I agree.

Especially after what happened in "that one scene."

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 03-09-2017 at 11:52 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 11:51 PM

36,559 posts, read 33,105,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow Skies View Post

I saw this film and was god damn thankful that nothing lke that has ever happened in my life. While that sounds awful and not understanding, it isn't, it most certainly comes from a place of understanding and least a place of imagining what it would be like because pain on that level is reserved for the worst that our society generates, not average everyday people.

When I first watched the movie I was understating that our protagonist had gone though a rough patch whatever. When watching the scene where the tenant makes a big deal out of something and Casey Affleck's character just says 'I don't' give a F what you do" that scene really encapsulates what this guy's mindset is, it really makes sense when thinking about the movie after the fact.

I always want a cheesy happy ending and this movie shows that sometimes life doesn't always do that...... not by a long shot.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:07 AM

10,577 posts, read 10,695,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
Thank you! That part was so confusing to me too- when she said "I don't want him around here" wasn't that woman Georges wife?-the same woman who was holding him on the couch while he was crying after the bar fight?
They did look somewhat alike, but that woman was an employee of the company to which Lee was applying, not George's wife. I agree that it was confusing.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:19 AM

613 posts, read 237,534 times
Quote:
Him not being able to get over it is somewhat understandable. I don't know what I'd do, I probably would have committed suicide.

He was/is a walking dead man, he just wasn't buried........

God damn sad is what it is.
Yes I agree completely, very sad. but watching someone wallow in it for two hours does not make a movie in my opinion.

Not saying it has to have a "happy ending" but the protagonist should go through some change - gain some understanding or acceptance. Very little in this movie. The only scene I liked really was the one where he runs into Michelle Williams and that was just because of her acting. I was thinking that her story would have made a much better movie.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 468,841 times
i finally saw this. rented it on demand, so i got to watch it twice this weekend, to catch things that i apparently missed the first time. funny...because as i'm reading the posts here i see that i missed other stuff too. i guess my ADD was in overdrive this weekend.

i liked it. i don't know how someone moves on from what happened. i would be a walking dead person too. it was realistic. (i do agree with the other posters about the nephew actor...he wasn't really that good and i was wishing they had a different actor playing that role.)

the scenery was beautiful. i could never live in the snow. california girl here! so cal beaches for me thankyouverymuch. but east coast new england towns sure are beautiful!

i think it was a very good movie and i liked it. it was slow and it was sad. but it makes you think. what happened would be horrific. beyond horrific. there is no word.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:28 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,688,371 times
It's on Amazon Prime now.

"Manchester by the Sea" is, in my opinion, an example of technical proficiency which one can appreciate on its own merits while very much disliking the movie as a narrative.

One of my yardsticks for movie excellence is: Do I want to see it again? Do I want to see it again RIGHT NOW?

And the answer here is an emphatic No and No.

I put it in the same category as "Schindler's List": It's good I saw it but I never, ever want to see it again.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 PM

41 posts, read 6,100 times
I watched this movie a little over a month ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. A magnificent, moving, and heartwrenching movie. It's also surprisingly funny. Whatever awards this movie received is richly deserved, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I put it in the same category as "Schindler's List": It's good I saw it but I never, ever want to see it again.
I know what you mean. I remember seeing Schindler's List once, liked it, knew it would sweep all the awards shows, but I knew I would never watch it again.

Manchester By The Sea is different for me because the story hits so close to home and the Chandler family is so familiar and recognizable. I DO want to see it again because the movie was so cathartic for me.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:56 AM

41 posts, read 6,100 times
Found this online and thought others might be interested.

"We are a group of counselors who do a podcast on Mental Illness in Pop Culture. As I've read through the comments on this thread, I strongly agree on the issue of emotion as related to masculine identity, and Lee's only ability to express rage while having the inability to allow himself to experience pleasure. We just recorded a podcast about Manchester, available at https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/m...13_51_20-07_00
We explore abandonment, complex grief, depression, pain, New England masculine identity, forgiveness, dysfunctional coping strategies, anhedonia, family trauma, binge drinking, lack of professional helping, and acceptance of personal limitations in the Academy-Award-winning film Manchester by the Sea. We consider the film perhaps one of the saddest movies ever made and a realistic portrayal of the human condition.
We acknowledge Lee “doing the best he can” despite many flaws and shortcomings in the aftermath of tragedy. We also applaud the refusal to “tie everything up in a neat bow” with a Hollywood ending. Still, we reflect on Lee’s subtle development and transformation through his relationship with Patty, hinting at the potential for eventual hope. In this series, we focus on pop culture portrayals of mental health issues and professional helping, believing that media both reflect and influence popular perception."

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
Thank you! That part was so confusing to me too- when she said "I don't want him around here" wasn't that woman Georges wife?-the same woman who was holding him on the couch while he was crying after the bar fight?
I initially thought the same thing too but no, she is/was a different person.

Quote:
Also- I couldn't' make out what the little girl was saying in the dream scene where the sauce was burning and he woke up- I replayed it several times and just couldn't make it out- anybody?
She said, "Daddy, can't you see we're burning?"

Last edited by Ihatethemedia; 06-06-2017 at 10:15 AM..

Old 07-15-2017, 10:04 AM

26,413 posts, read 26,761,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Has anyone besides me seen this yet? I'm still thinking about it a day later; it's one of the more haunting movies I've seen in recent years.
I saw this movie within the last few months and I was not impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies