U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:12 PM

6,682 posts, read 2,800,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
Yes I agree completely, very sad. but watching someone wallow in it for two hours does not make a movie in my opinion.

Not saying it has to have a "happy ending" but the protagonist should go through some change - gain some understanding or acceptance. Very little in this movie. The only scene I liked really was the one where he runs into Michelle Williams and that was just because of her acting. I was thinking that her story would have made a much better movie.
But that doesn't always happen in real life. It's only in movies! In real life some people are broken forever. and if anyone has something to be broken forever about, it is him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It's on Amazon Prime now.

"Manchester by the Sea" is, in my opinion, an example of technical proficiency which one can appreciate on its own merits while very much disliking the movie as a narrative.

One of my yardsticks for movie excellence is: Do I want to see it again? Do I want to see it again RIGHT NOW?

And the answer here is an emphatic No and No.

I put it in the same category as "Schindler's List": It's good I saw it but I never, ever want to see it again.
I never want to see it again but I am glad I did watch it.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:47 PM

7,549 posts, read 6,439,613 times
Well written, well acted, most depressingly morose movie, I'd never watch again, not even glad I watched most of it the first time it was just that uninspiring. I had no need to be dragged through that much, moment to moment, suffering when I've experienced much of my own and was just looking for escape. I like a good drama as much as the next person, but, this film had no break for a breath of air between dire moments. Maybe I just picked the wrong movie at the wrong time, but even though well done, just too with great acting, not one, I'd ever wish on anyone else. I too enjoyed seeing the supportive roles the men displayed, that was one positive.

I have watched many movies that could be considered depressing, by some yet I would view them again, including Schindler's List, as there was something.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:49 PM

36,901 posts, read 33,675,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Well written, well acted, most depressingly morose movie, I'd never watch again, not even glad I watched most of it the first time it was just that uninspiring. I had no need to be dragged through that much, moment to moment, suffering when I've experienced much of my own and was just looking for escape. I like a good drama as much as the next person, but, this film had no break for a breath of air between dire moments. Maybe I just picked the wrong movie at the wrong time, but even though well done, just too with great acting, not one, I'd ever wish on anyone else. I too enjoyed seeing the supportive roles the men displayed, that was one positive.

I have watched many movies that could be considered depressing, by some yet I would view them again, including Schindler's List, as there was something.
It was a well done movie, for sure. I'm with you, I'll never watch it again, and frankly I wouldn't wish what happened to him on my worst enemies. I don't have kids, but just for a second I can almost imagine what it would be like and then my psyche snaps me out of it, it's hard to explain, but for a moment I can almost feel what it would be like and I think for self protection my mind shifts somehow. Hard to explain what I mean here.

The scene were he bumps into his ex wife, that was a gut wrencher, plain and simple.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:52 PM

He did a pretty good job by that boy. It wasn't all bad. That had to be really hard for him, but he did it.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:09 PM

7,549 posts, read 6,439,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It was a well done movie, for sure. I'm with you, I'll never watch it again, and frankly I wouldn't wish what happened to him on my worst enemies. I don't have kids, but just for a second I can almost imagine what it would be like and then my psyche snaps me out of it, it's hard to explain, but for a moment I can almost feel what it would be like and I think for self protection my mind shifts somehow. Hard to explain what I mean here.

The scene were he bumps into his ex wife, that was a gut wrencher, plain and simple.

I get what you mean, I too am very empathetic, most of the time anyway, so it's easy to feel others' pain to the point of seeing oneself experiences such a tragedy. And yes, the scene where he and the ex are talking was quite gut wrenching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
He did a pretty good job by that boy. It wasn't all bad. That had to be really hard for him, but he did it.
He did, I could relate, been there, would do it again for my nephews.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 AM

7,620 posts, read 1,682,771 times
The wife and I both watched it together and I got to tell you ,nether one of us liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies