U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:15 PM

303 posts, read 106,052 times

Advertisements

It was really good - but the marketing is a bit misleading. It's really a mix of a western (the seeking revenge type) with a prison break film (heavy on the holocaust allegory), the "war" that is promised is not truly shown.

It should be required screening for anyone and everyone involved with Paramount's 'Transformers' franchise, right up to Michael Bay. It is a film that shows how to build a successful story that does not need humans front and center if the true draw is supposed to be the CGI characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 11:02 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,863,881 times
I thought it was a bit slow in the beginning. But when it got started...
Wonderful thought provoking film.
When it was over the theatre erupted in applause. Guess there are many POA's
Fans out there.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:11 PM

7,517 posts, read 10,934,429 times
Pretty seamless link to the original - when Maurice named the girl I almost fell out!

Old 07-17-2017, 06:03 PM

4,882 posts, read 2,415,653 times
I'll confess I liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes better. Rise has good people on both sides, and in the middle of the film there's the hope that together they can build a new ape/human society in which both sides will benefit. But the minority on both sides who can't get over their old hatreds and prejudices go and ruin everything. In War, though, we really don't get to see any sympathetic humans other than the young girl, and it's inexplicable why two human factions are waging war on each other when humanity so so close to extinction. (Plus, I found it hard to believe any human survivors would be able to mount such a large, high tech war force.)

Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 PM

3,890 posts, read 1,421,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'll confess I liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes better. Rise has good people on both sides, and in the middle of the film there's the hope that together they can build a new ape/human society in which both sides will benefit. But the minority on both sides who can't get over their old hatreds and prejudices go and ruin everything. In War, though, we really don't get to see any sympathetic humans other than the young girl, and it's inexplicable why two human factions are waging war on each other when humanity so so close to extinction. (Plus, I found it hard to believe any human survivors would be able to mount such a large, high tech war force.)
Spoiler
The Colonel's faction's arsenal/force wasn't as formidable as the attacking faction in the film's climax.

Also, we saw none of the "whites" unmasked, which lends the notion that they may not be humans!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Spoiler
Also, we saw none of the "whites" unmasked, which lends the notion that they may not be humans!
Spoiler
They move like humans, though. One thing these movies have done consistently well is to distinguish the gait of the apes from the gait of the humans. You'll notice that when the apes need to move quickly, they go on all fours. The white force didn't do that. I also find it hard to imagine apes learning how to fly attack helicopters in such a short period of time, especially without the help of human instructors.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 PM

11,540 posts, read 6,073,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Spoiler
They move like humans, though. One thing these movies have done consistently well is to distinguish the gait of the apes from the gait of the humans. You'll notice that when the apes need to move quickly, they go on all fours. The white force didn't do that. I also find it hard to imagine apes learning how to fly attack helicopters in such a short period of time, especially without the help of human instructors.
Spoiler
When I saw that scene with the soldiers running up on the destroyed Alpha/Omega base,
my first thought was that they were apes, or that there would be some apes with the soldiers. However,
I don't think they were. Not only because of the physical characteristics you mention, but because one of the major subplots of the movie was that there was a human-human battle, and that with this final war,
most of humanity is destroyed. The reason why those soldiers came to destroy the Alpha Omega's was because the mad colonel decapitated some soldier messengers from the North, and the colonel was someone that needed to be taken out

Just saw this movie and thought it was very good, much better than the first two. The ape CGI was exceptional, as was the acting. I really liked the drama and a few twists and turns, especially the ending.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 PM

[quote=Suburban_Guy;48872799]
Spoiler
The reason why those soldiers came to destroy the Alpha Omega's was because the mad colonel decapitated some soldier messengers from the North, and the colonel was someone that needed to be taken out

Spoiler
But why destroyed, as opposed to simply isolated/ignored? Crazy as he was, the colonel didn't appear to represent a significant threat to humans, as opposed to apes.

Granted it's a minor bit, but the human/human military conflict just didn't feel believably fleshed out to me. And so when the avalanche wiped out the victors, I didn't care as much as i should have, because I really couldn't believe they'd have been there in the first place to be buried.

Quote:
Just saw this movie and thought it was very good, much better than the first two. The ape CGI was exceptional, as was the acting. I really liked the drama and a few twists and turns, especially the ending.
No doubt about it, the CGI was superb. And the way the whole series causes the viewers to slowly shift their loyalties, so that by the end we're actually rooting against our own kind, is astonishing.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 PM

463 posts, read 664,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The movie is being touted as one of the best movies in a decade. I may have to go see it.
I saw it this past weekend. OUTSTANDING I also loved the last film as well. But the events of this film seem to indicate that there won't be a fourth one. Will there be a fourth one?

Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 PM

11,540 posts, read 6,073,717 times
[quote=Aredhel;48873088]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Spoiler
The reason why those soldiers came to destroy the Alpha Omega's was because the mad colonel decapitated some soldier messengers from the North, and the colonel was someone that needed to be taken out

Spoiler
But why destroyed, as opposed to simply isolated/ignored? Crazy as he was, the colonel didn't appear to represent a significant threat to humans, as opposed to apes.

Granted it's a minor bit, but the human/human military conflict just didn't feel believably fleshed out to me. And so when the avalanche wiped out the victors, I didn't care as much as i should have, because I really couldn't believe they'd have been there in the first place to be buried.

No doubt about it, the CGI was superb. And the way the whole series causes the viewers to slowly shift their loyalties, so that by the end we're actually rooting against our own kind, is astonishing.
Spoiler
One review I read online didn't like the fact that the humans were evil except for one mute child, and the apes were the 'good' ones.

I think these people are missing the point that this movie is actually the last movie that establishes the events and setting for what eventually happens in the original 1968 Planet of the Apes movie, where the apes are the intelligent ones and the remaining humans are wild and being hunted and kept in cages like wild animals. One interesting thing I read was that the mute lady in the 1968 Planet of the Apes was named Nova. The little girl in this movie is named Nova (who also happens to be mute). The director denies any connection, but come on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies