Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 07:53 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen the original. On 10/5 there is going to be a double feature which I'm going to. Hope I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
'Blade Runner 2049': Even Sharper Than The Original : NPR

excerpts:

Quote:
It doesn't just remind you of what you loved about Scott's weird but unshakable hybrid of film noir and cyberpunk-before-it-had-a-name, or even require you to have seen it, necessarily. It takes the grubby, thoughtful world-building and hyperkinetic imagery of the 1982 landmark and gives it, at long last, a story to match. 2049 runs 45 minutes longer than its precursor, but feels shorter. It's the best philosophical gumshoe movie since Memento and the best dystopian future flick since Children of Men. It's an astonishing achievement. And like Dunkirk, it's worth the tariff you'll pay to experience it on the largest, sharpest screen you can find.

-------------

Unlike Scott's own thudding Alien addenda Prometheus and Covenant (with which 2049 shares a screenwriter in Michael Green), this new film actually deepens the enchantment of the old one instead of breaking the spell. There are several distinct references to Macbeth, and a recurring music cue from Peter and the Wolf. Beyond that, I'm severely restrained in my ability to tell you very much, as the publicity team read to the critics at the screening I attended an appeal from Villeneuve: an exhaustive list of specific characters and plot developments he has kindly asked that we not discuss. I'm complying because he has made a superb movie, one that really is stocked with revelations and counterrevelations worth preserving intact.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:19 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
These reviews are getting me excited about the movie again!

Old 10-02-2017, 04:38 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
These reviews are getting me excited about the movie again!
Yes.

I'll just swallow the indications that they're going to prove out Deckard as a replicant.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'll just swallow the indications that they're going to prove out Deckard as a replicant.
The whole "Is Deckard a replicant or not?" is such a boring question, really. Certainly at the beginning of Blade Runner, Deckard (whether he was born or assembled) has less feeling in him than my old Radio Shack TRS-80 computer did. And by the end of the movie, not only has he changed in that regard, but it's made abundantly clear that at least the Nexus Six replicants (if not all their earlier predecessors) are people. Manufactured people, yes, but people none the less. (The born humans of course can't acknowledge that and still justify keeping the Nexus Six replicants as slaves, so I don't expect any improvement in their condition; history shows all too well that at least on a societal level self-interest usually trumps ethics, unfortunately.)

I wonder if we'll find out what happened to Rachael and Gaff?

Old 10-02-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
The whole "Is Deckard a replicant or not?" is such a boring question, really. Certainly at the beginning of Blade Runner, Deckard (whether he was born or assembled) has less feeling in him than my old Radio Shack TRS-80 computer did. And by the end of the movie, not only has he changed in that regard, but it's made abundantly clear that at least the Nexus Six replicants (if not all their earlier predecessors) are people. Manufactured people, yes, but people none the less. (The born humans of course can't acknowledge that and still justify keeping the Nexus Six replicants as slaves, so I don't expect any improvement in their condition; history shows all too well that at least on a societal level self-interest usually trumps ethics, unfortunately.)

Well, we already know that the new story starts beyond the question of Deckard (based on the short films that have already been released). There are a whole bunch of replicants pretty much loose in the wild without records to identify them--which is by the replicants' plan (Gaff appears in one of the shorts set only a couple of years after the first movie).

Old 10-02-2017, 09:21 PM

Guess I'm going to need to find the time to watch the online shorts before I see the new film.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:25 PM

The producers asked reviewers not to reveal surprises from the film, and so far they're agreeing to keep mum.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:17 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
You haven't seen the latest TV trailers have you?

Spoiler
Gaff is in Blade Runner 2049. He's gone white, but he's still a dandy.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:25 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Early reviews are off the charts. 2049 is sitting at 96% on Rotten currently. Very good news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies