U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 04:45 PM

17,308 posts, read 29,116,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Howard View Post
Can think of only a few resurrections. Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead was very good. Last of the Mohicans better than the Randolph Scott and multiple other versions. Wow it's a short list. Maybe because they remake them politically correct with unrealistic characters. Scarface (1983) also better than the Cagney's original.

3:10 to Yuma (2007) not bad. Gone in 60 Seconds (2000), Heat (1995) Michael Mann remaking himself, The Italian Job (2003) close but no cigar as with The Mummy (1999), Ocean's Eleven (2001) very close but no match for the Rat Pack; Robin Hood (2010) was pretty close (Errol Flynn not Costner) but no one will agree with that.

Most of them mediocre at best and that's probably new Blade Runner.
I'll add The Quick and the Dead to the list of superior remakes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114214/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 07:32 PM

15,014 posts, read 7,480,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'll add The Quick and the Dead to the list of superior remakes.

The Quick and the Dead (1995) - IMDb
"Airplane." Probably the best example of a superior remake.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 PM

3,621 posts, read 1,276,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
BLADE RUNNER 2049 is a sequel, not a remake. Better comparisons might be:

2010: The Year We Make Contact was a 1984 sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey from 1968. (And a better movie. I don't care what the critics say.)

Terminator 2: Judgment Day from 1991 is a sequel to The Terminator from 1984. Both are great.

Independence Day: Resurgence from 2016 is a sequel to Independence Day from 1996. I hated the first one so much that I never bothered with the sequel.

There are more --- Dumb and Dumber, the Rambo movies, the Rocky movies, Creepshow, scads of Disney flicks.
Creepshow 2 isn't a patch on the first movie, which is one of the coolest horror anthologies ever.

I also prefer The Terminator to T2.

There is no good D&D sequel.

First Blood
is still the best of the Rambo films, with the most recent Rambo being the best sequel.

All the Rocky movies are great, IMO, except for IV and V (which is a joke).

Old 05-12-2017, 06:26 AM

12,929 posts, read 17,604,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Creepshow 2 isn't a patch on the first movie, which is one of the coolest horror anthologies ever.
Yup. I love Creepshow. The second is worth watching, but it's a pretty big step down.

Quote:
I also prefer The Terminator to T2.
Depends on my mood. I love both. I hate every sequel after.

Quote:
There is no good D&D sequel.

There is no good D&D movie. At least not yet. The first one was MST3K fodder.

Quote:
First Blood
Quote:
is still the best of the Rambo films, with the most recent Rambo being the best sequel.
Yup. I loved the first one. I liked the last one. Everything in between was bad.

Quote:
All the Rocky movies are great, IMO, except for IV and V (which is a joke).
Once again, we find ourselves in agreement.

Last edited by Mark S.; 05-12-2017 at 06:52 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 03:47 PM

3,621 posts, read 1,276,734 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T_sSSka9pA

Old 05-28-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Interesting.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:24 PM

1,016 posts, read 373,499 times
This sequel doesn't look near as good as the original in terms of cinematography and sets. The original is one of the best looking movies ever made that stands the test of time in it's look, and looks just as good today, as it did back then.

Where as this one looks like it was clearly shot in the 2010s and looks like a product of it's time, that will not age past that, like the original.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
This sequel doesn't look near as good as the original in terms of cinematography and sets. The original is one of the best looking movies ever made that stands the test of time in it's look, and looks just as good today, as it did back then.

Where as this one looks like it was clearly shot in the 2010s and looks like a product of it's time, that will not age past that, like the original.
From what I've seen so far, I tend to agree. The original created visual idioms that are still being used.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 PM

16,717 posts, read 10,680,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And the funny thing about that is that everyone thought Bladerunner was crap.

Except me. I was the only one who thought it was brilliant on first viewing. The only one. Just me. Nobody else.

Eventually, everyone came around to my way of thinking.
I thought it was brilliant too, as did my brother, who went with me.

I did think the ending was a cop-out; it was obvious to me that it was an alternate that wasn't made at the same time, and it was a little too sweet and pat. Deckard was far too cynical for such a sweet ending... no happy endings for that guy.

In many ways, Blade Runner was a lot like a British movie of the late 60's, Blowup. In that one, a photographer finds himself in the middle of a murder mystery that has very little dialog to explain it all to the viewer; the visuals propel the story. And at the end, it remains unsolved, except in the minds of the viewers.

When it was released in 1982, I think it didn't do better because it wasn't right for the times back then.

Dystopia wasn't a very popular theme at that time, and Harrison Ford had not played many dark heroes, either. I think the viewers may have expected something more like Indiana Jones than what they got.

It's hard to imagine a better treatment the second time. The universe in Blade Runner was so completely imagined, I can't see how it could be improved in any substantial way.

Even a sequel would be hard to top it, but, like Alien 2, or Godfather 2, if the sequel is good enough to stand alone well, it could succeed on its own merits. I think the times are right for one now, despite my own reservations.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:35 AM

12,929 posts, read 17,604,795 times
http://players.brightcove.net/219646...0frameborder=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies