U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:45 PM

9,674 posts, read 5,670,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Tom Hardy was great in his role of a Spitfire pilot. He acted with his eyes letting us know his plans for the mission. Slight nods as he decided what he was going to do. The checking of his fuel enabling him to know when he needed to turn around, and go home.

This is not a film that follows the normal narrative. Nolan insists we concentrate on what is going on from different angles of the same scene. His insistance on as little use of special effects as possible, to ensure everything looks so real.

The guy on the boat seemed to belong to the time the film is set. I know the actor listened to tapes of real men involved in the boat rescue, and how they saw it, and how they felt duty bound to go and get those trapped boys on that beach in France. The film is full of old fashioned duty, and love of country.
I agree. To get this film many of those decisions were deliberate and I'm sure they had to stand fast against those who would make this into something else entirely.

I wanted to see someone clenching a billiard. Puffing away while driving the boat. Was smoking a pipe so rare due to rationing? Did they get that right? Just something I noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:53 PM

27,535 posts, read 44,999,258 times
The war was short lived at Dunkirk's point
Rationing was barely started
Watch Foyle's War
Excellent BBC series about the war's impact on homefront

Old 07-25-2017, 03:56 PM

9,674 posts, read 5,670,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The war was short lived at Dunkirk's point
Rationing was barely started
Watch Foyle's War
Excellent BBC series about the war's impact on homefront
Interesting. I sat until the screen went black, the whole credits, which isn't unusual for a film I really liked, and there was a blurb toward the end that no one benefited from tobacco products shown or somesuch type of disclaimer. Thought it odd.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:08 PM

27,535 posts, read 44,999,258 times
Likely same as msg that no animal was harmed in films using animals

Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 PM

4,044 posts, read 1,838,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'm going to see this (the reviews are very very good) but I have one nagging question I'd like answered before going:

Wasn't this a massive strategic mistake? Why would a nation put 400,000 soldiers (the majority of it's Army) in a confined space only to withdraw them in desperation? It's seems to be poor military strategy on more than one level. And what were they thinking?

They underestimated their enemy............

Old 07-25-2017, 06:17 PM

66 posts, read 24,419 times
I went today to see Dunkirk l. I cried at the end thinking about my great cousins who were in World War 2 of what they endured

The movie was so loud which made it better. I don't have surround sound at home so i really don't regret seeing it in theaters.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:19 PM

4,044 posts, read 1,838,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I'm not sure if this was posted in the thread that vanished, but this was an amazing interview:

Calgary veteran who survived Dunkirk causes a stir at movie premiere | Globalnews.ca

Got me right in the feels.

So few of that Generation remain. We need to Remember these men and what they did. This movie will help. Salute.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 PM

7,563 posts, read 7,988,426 times
The musical score was a major component of the film. Full of tension and anxiety. Kind of like the scores in some Hitchcock films, but this one didn't let up the tension.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 PM

11,073 posts, read 6,583,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
and there was a blurb toward the end that no one benefited from tobacco products shown or somesuch type of disclaimer. Thought it odd.
Not sure why it's odd, plenty of movies include a disclaimer in the credits about the tobacco not being a paid product placement.

In 2008, Time Warner (Warner Bros.) began posting the following statement in end credits of selected films:

No person or entity associated with this film received payment or anything of value, or entered into any agreement, in connection with the depiction of tobacco products.

In 2008, Universal (Comcast) began adding this statement to end credits of some films:

The depictions of tobacco smoking contained in this film are based solely on artistic consideration and are not intended to promote tobacco consumption. The Surgeon General has determined that there are serious health risks associated with smoking and with secondhand smoke.
https://smokefreemovies.ucsf.edu/pol...fy-no-pay-offs

Old 07-25-2017, 11:19 PM

22,263 posts, read 5,510,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsign69 View Post
I went today to see Dunkirk l. I cried at the end thinking about my great cousins who were in World War 2 of what they endured

The movie was so loud which made it better. I don't have surround sound at home so i really don't regret seeing it in theaters.
World War Two has drifted off into history. I know from my own sons that it has little significance to them. Those of us old enough to remember the participants of this war feel very differently.

This film has made me think of my father's brother a lot this last few weeks. Seeing the soldiers behind barricades at the start of the movie, waiting for the Germans to come, made me think of how frightened he must have been in his similar situation.

He and my father were not close. He died 40 years ago, and I never got to talk with him about his experience at Dunkirk. I did know though, he was a brave man who did his duty, and I named my youngest son after him as my own small tribute.

Sometimes, we need a reminder of what real sacrifice is. We live our lives complaining about what are really trivialities. The people who fought that war, and the folks on the home front had real worries. The British public were bombed from the air, and had real fears of a German invasion in the early days.

We had a leader in Winston Churchill, who rallied the people, and in his famous speech after Dunkirk said we would never surrender. If they invaded, we would fight until the end. We held on under almost nightly bombing from the air. Cities like Coventry, suffering horrendous bombing. On the night of 14th November 1940, over 4,300 homes were destroyed, with 568 people killed, and many hundreds injured.

We hung on, fighting the Germans where we could out in Africa. We fought them in the air above the fields of England, and out at sea. Hitler thought about an invasion of England, but our defiance caused him to turn elsewhere. He thought we were finished on our little island. Well he was wrong. The bravery of the people of these islands should never be forgotten. This film is a tribute to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies