U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2017, 11:49 PM
 
Location: England
17,261 posts, read 4,260,112 times
Reputation: 26395

Advertisements

I will see this movie for sure. The story of what happened at Dunkirk is amazing. Many little boats owned by ordinary folks went across the channel into a war zone to rescue stranded soldiers. Hundreds of thousands of men lifted off those beaches, and brought back to England.

My dad's brother was part of the rearguard force holding the Germans back while the rescue took place. He was captured by the Germans. I well remember the pile of letters owned by my Grandmother that she received from him as a prisoner. Lots of words blotted out by the Germans before they were sent.

She welcomed young American soldiers into her home, knowing she wouldn't get her son back until those brave young men invaded Europe. I hope this film turns out to be a good one as I am reading that it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2017, 12:04 AM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,008 posts, read 301,288 times
Reputation: 843
Saw a preview last week, looks excellent. To be honest I don't know much history regarding Dunkirk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 12:19 AM
 
Location: England
17,261 posts, read 4,260,112 times
Reputation: 26395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Saw a preview last week, looks excellent. To be honest I don't know much history regarding Dunkirk.
It is a fantastic real story Wintergirl80. Hundreds of thousands of men forced back to those beaches in France by the Germans in 1940. They were stranded, with nowhere to go. The British navy set off for Dunkirk to get those men out, and back to England.

700 private boats also sailed across the channel to France to help rescue soldiers.Some were manned by forces personnel, but also civilian people into a war zone. Just amazing bravery.

Big ships couldn't get close to shore because of shallow waters. The little boats could. Men had to wade out a long ways into deeper water, many under fire from German planes.

It was a massive military defeat, turned into a strange sort of victory. Getting those men back to England was great for civilian morale in England. 1940 was a bad year for us during the war. It was the same year the blitz began, with London especially being bombed nightly by the Germans. We held on somehow.

My wife's dad was out in Africa fighting the Germans at the same time. We had some victories in 1941 against Rommel in the deserts of north Africa, which gave us hope Hitler could be defeated eventually. The Americans entering the war at the end of 1941 ensured this would happen.

Last edited by English Dave; 07-18-2017 at 12:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 06:31 AM
 
400 posts, read 119,673 times
Reputation: 1026
The TV ads for this film have a number of technical and historic errors.


The evacuation at Dunkirk took place during the last week of May and the first week of June, 1940. Yet the film shows the British soldiers wearing winter overcoats. May and June are hardly winter time.


The sequence where a RAF fighter pilot is trapped in his cockpit after ditching in the water.........a standard operating procedure was that pilots operating at low altitude and over water... would roll back and lock in place , their cockpit canopies to prevent this from happening. And flying a low level protective sortie over the beach would not require wearing a oxygen mask, as was portrayed in the film.


Helmets. The film shows thousands of British soldiers wearing their "tin hats " while wading out to be picked up by the small craft. The reality is that no sensible man would do that. Keep your rifle, for sure. But the helmets were replaceable. Photos taken at the time, show large piles of helmets on the beach .


None of the thousands of trucks, tanks and artillery guns that had to be abandoned, were to be seen.


Where were the French military ? The historic record shows that over 110,000 French soldiers were evacuated . The combined total was over 245,000 men.


Computer generated images of troops on the beaches were obviously just that....


I will be interested to hear the impressions of those that go to see this film.


Jim B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
8,343 posts, read 4,039,367 times
Reputation: 8552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The true story behind Dunkirk is more amazing than the movie itself I think.

It appears that the movie eliminated some important religious themed events, even though the legend of Dunkirk was in fact based heavily on religious themes and divine intervention.

Definite must see though, a conventional movie by an unconventional movie director.
Agree with your entire post but this in particular. Has Nolan ever made a non-fiction, historical movie before?! I believe this is new territory for him. And it sounds like he nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 09:06 AM
 
84 posts, read 42,278 times
Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
The TV ads for this film have a number of technical and historic errors.


The evacuation at Dunkirk took place during the last week of May and the first week of June, 1940. Yet the film shows the British soldiers wearing winter overcoats. May and June are hardly winter time.


The sequence where a RAF fighter pilot is trapped in his cockpit after ditching in the water.........a standard operating procedure was that pilots operating at low altitude and over water... would roll back and lock in place , their cockpit canopies to prevent this from happening. And flying a low level protective sortie over the beach would not require wearing a oxygen mask, as was portrayed in the film.


Helmets. The film shows thousands of British soldiers wearing their "tin hats " while wading out to be picked up by the small craft. The reality is that no sensible man would do that. Keep your rifle, for sure. But the helmets were replaceable. Photos taken at the time, show large piles of helmets on the beach .


None of the thousands of trucks, tanks and artillery guns that had to be abandoned, were to be seen.


Where were the French military ? The historic record shows that over 110,000 French soldiers were evacuated . The combined total was over 245,000 men.


Computer generated images of troops on the beaches were obviously just that....


I will be interested to hear the impressions of those that go to see this film.


Jim B.

I'd hold off judgement about most of these until seeing the full film. And about the "Computer generated images of troops on the beaches were obviously just that....":


Soldiers and warships line the beach to film Harry Styles' movie Dunkirk | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV, U.S.A.
8,567 posts, read 4,618,757 times
Reputation: 16417
I don't read or hear anything (that I can help) about this until after I've seen it.


Spoiler
none yet ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV, U.S.A.
8,567 posts, read 4,618,757 times
Reputation: 16417
This is a NO SPOILER Dunkirk thread! . .


Spoiler
if you place them within the SHOW / HIDE SPOILER tags, it's ok .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 AM
 
10,949 posts, read 5,706,987 times
Reputation: 17860
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
This is a NO SPOILER Dunkirk thread! . .


Spoiler
if you place them within the SHOW / HIDE SPOILER tags, it's ok .
Umm, it's a movie based on a historical real life incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 AM
 
Location: England
17,261 posts, read 4,260,112 times
Reputation: 26395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Umm, it's a movie based on a historical real life incident.
It's interesting to read how so many people don't know about this historic event during the Second World War.

'Titanic' was spoiled for me....... I stood in line waiting to go in, and someone leaving from the last show shouted "the ship sinks."

Ruined it for me.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top