U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:23 AM

4,665 posts, read 5,258,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It's interesting to read how so many people don't know about this historic event during the Second World War.

'Titanic' was spoiled for me....... I stood in line waiting to go in, and someone leaving from the last show shouted "the ship sinks."

Ruined it for me.........
One of my favorite movies is "Mrs Miniver" which touches on the bravery of the British people and heroism of an ordinary person with a boat taking place during this time.

If anyone is needing to brush up on history miniver might help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 09:33 AM

17,652 posts, read 4,377,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
One of my favorite movies is "Mrs Miniver" which touches on the bravery of the British people and heroism of an ordinary person with a boat taking place during this time.

If anyone is needing to brush up on history miniver might help
That movie was made just after the real life event. I imagine at the time, it would have been an event well known of by Americans. With the passing years, I guess it just became another few days from early on in the war.

The Germans were on a roll in 1940, and they just overwhelmed the British Expeditionary Force. But, we managed to get those young men out of there, and back home. We licked our wounds, and when Hitler tried to overwhelm us from the air in the summer of 1940, our brave pilots taught him a lesson. We defeated his air force, and he knew it. British forces took Rommel on in the African desert, and we beat him out there as well.

I was very aware of Dunkirk as a boy, because of my Uncle's role in fighting there. I would think many young British kids won't know about this, and hopefully the movie will show them what their grandparents had to go through back then.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:45 AM

473 posts, read 146,667 times
Steve Bagu.

Check your personal messages, for a update on the real reason for the Dieppe raid.....70 years later the official secrets act has lapsed and the facts are revealed. Enigma was the real prize that they were after.

Jim B.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:35 AM

6,476 posts, read 16,784,994 times
Thankyou...interesting article of info.
Later on the boob tube was a movie of using a captured German sub to contact another in the Atlantic...purpose to get hold of a code machine used by the U Boats. Wonder if they were the same.
I was the youngest in my Company and possibly one of the few still alive today...still remember my Service # B 51****.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 PM

9,978 posts, read 15,640,069 times
I read a bit about Dunkirk when I was a young lad and found it an amazing story. I am sure it looked very bleak at the time, but safely evacuating hundreds of thousands of soldiers so they can fight another day was a great achievement.

This movie looks pretty good. Since we are having our annual heatwave, I may try to see it this weekend. My 9 year old wants to go, but it may be too intense for him at this age.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:53 PM

10,097 posts, read 6,065,507 times
It's been such a LONG time since I've heard critics say that a film is a cinematic experience. I've been waiting to go to the theaters and be moved by good dramatic cinema. The last time was with Martin Scorcesse's Silence but I had to really look for a theater playing that.

Finally a movie in the mainstream that will bring that back. Hopefully it does really well and will start a trend.

I hope the Nolan fanboys will forgive Nolan for going back to his dramatic roots and not doing another bloated sci-fi epic or a comic book movie.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:01 PM

17,652 posts, read 4,377,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It's been such a LONG time since I've heard critics say that a film is a cinematic experience. I've been waiting to go to the theaters and be moved by good dramatic cinema. The last time was with Martin Scorcesse's Silence but I had to really look for a theater playing that.

Finally a movie in the mainstream that will bring that back. Hopefully it does really well and will start a trend.

I hope the Nolan fanboys will forgive Nolan for going back to his dramatic roots and not doing another bloated sci-fi epic or a comic book movie.
Same here...... I have been waiting a long time for a film to move me. I am not interested in super hero movies. There is one hell of a story to be told of what happened on that beach in Dunkirk, in 1940.

I hope Nolan has told that very British story well. I will find out next week when I go to see it.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Same here...... I have been waiting a long time for a film to move me. I am not interested in super hero movies. There is one hell of a story to be told of what happened on that beach in Dunkirk, in 1940.

I hope Nolan has told that very British story well. I will find out next week when I go to see it.
I think it will be a very British film. I know Brits have been waiting for a British war drama that showcases the heroism of British troops in WWII to contrast the American war dramas and I am sure Nolan will deliver .

Old 07-20-2017, 04:20 PM

That new official trailer is riveting.

Plane One: He's on me!

Tom Hardy: I'm on him....

Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 AM

473 posts, read 146,667 times
Steve Bagu.

The actual course of events was this.... A German armed trawler was captured by the RN, and the newest 4 rotor Enigma machine was captured. The ship was sunk and the crew taken as POW's. The Germans assumed that the Enigma, went "down with the ship ". Never assume.....

This is the actual history. The film was a dramatic fiction.

Look for the vessel KREBS on line. It was the fishing trawler that I mentioned.

Jim b.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies