U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:54 AM

10,097 posts, read 6,929,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Thanks to everyone for writing great posts. This is the best aspect of CD. Thank you for sharing all of your memories. I hope Steve Bagu that you are writing down your memories of your experiences. My Dad, a WWII vet told us stories but I wish that he had written them down because I can't remember all of the details and frankly, didn't pay enough attention to the stories. I have so many questions, but now it's too late to ask.

I am pretty sure that I saw the John Mills film version when I was a teen or young adult. I haven't seen this film yet, but looking forward to it. I knew about Dunkirk previously, but not all of the details. It is an incredible story of self-sacrifice. My Dad would have loved to have seen this film, even if there are flaws in accuracy. The film also has some of my favorite British actors in it.

I rarely go to the movie theater now and rarely see mainstream Hollywood movies. I think the last good one that I saw (online) was Hidden Figures. I hope this continues the trend of making mainstream movies that aren't for the mindless.
Hopefully Dunkirk will make a killing at the box office to show studio heads that you can make great films without CGI, all you need is a good story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 12:16 PM

12,616 posts, read 5,265,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
An American friend has told me the audience applauded at the end of the film. When I first heard this movie was going to be made, I thought, "why"? I was curious why Christopher Nolan would want to tell this very British story for an international audience. After all, these are events from 77 years ago.

I think he may have tapped into something that touches us deeply. Hundreds of thousands of young men stranded on a beach only 24 miles from home across the water. Somehow, and very quickly, the decision was made to bring as many of them home as possible.

Not just the armed forces, but ordinary people owning small boats sailed across that water to get those boys home........ and they were just boys most of them, many still teenagers. A tale like this, told well, will attract a massive audience, some of which rarely visit a cinema these days.

My Uncle was one of those boys, just a kid at the time. He didn't make it home for five years. He didn't talk much about those years, but I want to get a sense of what he went through in 1940. I named my youngest son after him. I will see this film next week, and am very much looking forward to doing so.
Why? Because people should know about it. The sad thing is there will be many who also think why, and not bother. I'm glad they put Harry Styles in it so some young people will bother, and learn something in the process.

I personally would rather see movies about real historical events told well than a thousand Marvel movies. Hopefully the studios will see that there is an audience for these types of films still.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
My great uncle was captured and wounded at Dunkirk. Lost an eye but always said how well he was treated by the Germans. Was also a POW for five years.
Those people who fought in the European theater sure had it a lot better, relatively speaking, then those who fought in the Pacific. My granddad was in the Pacific, and he refused to talk about it for the rest of his life. When I was in school, we had to do a project in history where we interviewed someone who fought in the war or who lived through the time on the home front. It was a lot easier to do then since most of our grandparents fit the bill. My granddad refused the interview from all of us kids because he didn't even think we should learn about that stuff. We all had to interview our grandmother for a home front perspective. There were a lot of kids that had to do it to, for the same reason.

I know the European theater was just as bad, but at least they didn't have to deal with tropical diseases and horrible conditions in POW camps. Then they got to the rescue of the concentration camps and saw what evil they were really fighting.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:38 PM

7,415 posts, read 7,874,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Those people who fought in the European theater sure had it a lot better, relatively speaking, then those who fought in the Pacific.
Such ignorance. Unless of course, you were identified as a Jew or communist or one of the other "races" that the Nazis wanted to exterminate.

World War II -- prisoners of war POWs Jews

Old 07-22-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Such ignorance. Unless of course, you were identified as a Jew or communist or one of the other "races" that the Nazis wanted to exterminate.

World War II -- prisoners of war POWs Jews
I'll ignore the unnecessary insult to say the link was interesting. I wasn't talking about what the Germans did to Europeans, which I acknowledged in my post that you didn't quote. I do wonder why they treated Americans differently.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:27 PM

6,221 posts, read 3,387,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Hopefully Dunkirk will make a killing at the box office to show studio heads that you can make great films without CGI, all you need is a good story.
It will be a crime if this film doesn't make a killing at the box office. It's the best movie Christopher Nolan has ever made, and the best film I've seen this summer (and this has been a great summer for movies).

I'll probably go see it again on an IMAX screen tomorrow.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:19 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,641,999 times
Quote:
Those people who fought in the European theater sure had it a lot better, relatively speaking, then those who fought in the Pacific. My granddad was in the Pacific, and he refused to talk about it for the rest of his life. When I was in school, we had to do a project in history where we interviewed someone who fought in the war or who lived through the time on the home front. It was a lot easier to do then since most of our grandparents fit the bill. My granddad refused the interview from all of us kids because he didn't even think we should learn about that stuff. We all had to interview our grandmother for a home front perspective. There were a lot of kids that had to do it to, for the same reason.

I know the European theater was just as bad, but at least they didn't have to deal with tropical diseases and horrible conditions in POW camps. Then they got to the rescue of the concentration camps and saw what evil they were really fighting.
My father lost a cousin, captured at Singapore, in a Japanese POW camp. They were very close. He never forgave the Japanese for what they did.

I was born in 1955. My parents and grandparents lived through WW2. They had cousins, uncles, friends, boyfriends (in the case of my mother) who fought and some didn't come home at the end. I had teachers who had fought and they would tell us the stories. My mother was 'bombed out' at one point and my father's house was hit by incendiaries (both in south Manchester). As kids we played Brits against the Germans.

For people of my age and older, WW2 is not history and is not a Hollywood story. It is quite real. That is why it is important that movies depicting WW2 are 'real' and not some romanticised version of reality.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:12 PM

18,348 posts, read 12,213,125 times
We saw the movie today. It is a great movie. We were caught up in it right from the start. There are three storylines moving through different timelines. I don't want to post any more details.

See this via IMax, and if you can 70 mm IMax.

If you don't know anything about Dunkirk, read the Wikipedia article before you go.

This is a movie you will want to see.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:14 PM

I finally saw the movie today. Very interesting method of telling this story. Hope it gets nominated during Oscar time.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I'll ignore the unnecessary insult to say the link was interesting. I wasn't talking about what the Germans did to Europeans, which I acknowledged in my post that you didn't quote. I do wonder why they treated Americans differently.
I found your remarks insulting and trivializing, especially about liberating the concentration camps. Re-read the link again for American soldiers. If you were American and Jewish and serving in Europe, it was of great concern what the Nazis would do to you. Religion was identified on dog tags and Jewish soldiers were told to try to get rid of them before being captured. My uncle, my father's brother-in-law, was American and Jewish. He joined the RAF before the US got involved in the war after getting letters from family overseas. He wanted to help Jewish refugees. Fortunately, he survived the war.

The Nazis had a pecking order in terms of POWs. Hitler had some respect for the English so the British and American prisoners of war fared a bit better in the POW camps. Hitler hated the Soviets and the Russian POWs were brutalized in the POW camps. If you were a Soviet citizen and Jewish, the policy was to shoot on sight.

From History Beta: "The Jewish POWs of Western nations, including the US, were separated from other POWs, moved to a separate camp at Berga and assigned more hard work. In about 2 months in one camp where the Jews were assigned mining works, 20% of them perished. This is compared to 2% of death rate among non-Jewish POWs. Fortunately to the imprisoned Jews, the war soon came to the end, so only about of 1/5 of them died. If the war continued, they all would eventually die."

On the other hand, the Japanese didn't care about the religion of American POWs. They were all treated miserably and could be subjected to torture, regardless of ethnicity. The Japanese never signed the Geneva Convention nor recognized it, whereas the Germans did.

'We are all Jews': World War II soldier saved POWs - CNN.com

https://www.amazon.com/Soldiers-Slav.../dp/0385722311
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies