U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 03:47 AM

20,538 posts, read 5,055,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why? Because people should know about it. The sad thing is there will be many who also think why, and not bother. I'm glad they put Harry Styles in it so some young people will bother, and learn something in the process.

I personally would rather see movies about real historical events told well than a thousand Marvel movies. Hopefully the studios will see that there is an audience for these types of films still.
Putting pop stars in movies, is a long standing tradition to bring in a young audience. John Wayne did it sometimes, as in 'Rio Bravo' with Ricky Nelson back in 1959.

The thing is that today's audience is a young one. They seem to like superhero movies. But, there is an older audience which can be brought out to a movie house for a few films a year. This audience doesn't want super heroes, but a well told story.

Christopher Nolan knows that audience will be interested in a well told war film. 'Saving Private Ryan' also brought this audience out. That film was gut wrenching in it's first half hour. Lots of blood and gore, and flying limbs.

Nolan has avoided this, and gone for an unemotional telling of an amazing true story. He has avoided emotional last moment speeches from dying soldiers, handing letters over to be given to their mother. He has deliberately not told back stories.

He concentrates on the event, and the miraculous evacuation of hundreds of thousands of men off that beach in France 77 years ago. He had a chance at a great emotional scene........ all those little boats sailing across the water in groups, to rescue the stranded soldiers. He showed it, but only for a few seconds. No soaring music to move the audience. I was very impressed by that short scene, and it moved me nevertheless.

The film showed a sense of duty, and love of country. As I watched the early scenes shot in the real town of Dunkirk, I thought of my Uncle in those very streets. The soldiers behind the barriers, awaiting the Germans. My Uncle John faced that, when every fibre of his being must have been to run. He stayed, and did his duty. Five years a prisoner of war was his reward.

I named my youngest son after him. I didn't want his name to be forgotten in my family. At my father's funeral, I met my Uncle John's widow for the one and only time. She said to me, "did you name your son after my husband?" I told her I did. She just smiled at me, and nodded her thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 01:28 PM

3,778 posts, read 1,678,704 times
anyway.. I have yet to see Dunkirk but want to for sure..........it looks to be good, with the three story line and new actors. I am a major history buff.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:32 PM

20,538 posts, read 5,055,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
anyway.. I have yet to see Dunkirk but want to for sure..........it looks to be good, with the three story line and new actors. I am a major history buff.
You'll enjoy it Jeff. It is very absorbing, and the lack of special effects adds to the realism. It is not a film for the ages, but it is head and shoulders above most of the forgettable rubbish many movies today are.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM

5,836 posts, read 3,094,387 times
Quote:
See it on an IMAX screen, if you can. 70mm IMAX if it's available in your area. The visuals in this movie are atonishing, and it truly benefits from a large screen.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:21 PM

13,833 posts, read 7,635,138 times
Quote:
I'll be the minority dissent on here, and I'll say that while the movie was good, it didn't blow me away like I expected it would. For some reason it just didn't involve me like "Hacksaw Ridge" did (as a war movie).

I wanted to like it more, considering the source material of the bravery and heroism of the troops waiting to be evacuated. And I admire the technical skill by Nolan.

I guess because it's not like a conventional war movie I'm used to, it threw me off a bit. Perhaps I'll grow to like it more later. We shall see.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:30 PM

6,527 posts, read 11,568,140 times
[quote=Aredhel;48947663]See it on an IMAX screen, if you can. 70mm IMAX if it's available in your area. The visuals in this movie are atonishing, and it truly benefits from a large screen.[/QUO

I would have liked to have seen it on an IMAX screen. None around here. I enjoyed it on a regular screen. It wasn't until this movie came out, that I realized I've been in the Dunkirk area. In the 70s I took the Hovercraft across the Channel to the UK. I think from Calais near Dunkirk. Such beautiful beaches and what a ride on that craft.

I highly recommend this film.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:52 PM

3,778 posts, read 1,678,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'll be the minority dissent on here, and I'll say that while the movie was good, it didn't blow me away like I expected it would. For some reason it just didn't involve me like "Hacksaw Ridge" did (as a war movie).

I wanted to like it more, considering the source material of the bravery and heroism of the troops waiting to be evacuated. And I admire the technical skill by Nolan.

I guess because it's not like a conventional war movie I'm used to, it threw me off a bit. Perhaps I'll grow to like it more later. We shall see.

I just saw hacksaw ridge. I highly recommend it also..........however it is not entirely true to the history of Doss...........but for Hollywood it is as close as your gonna get.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:04 AM

320 posts, read 105,048 times
I loved Dunkirk and thought Hacksaw was cheesey.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:31 AM

66 posts, read 21,990 times
Going to see Dunkirk today. I thought about waiting till it gets to redbox that way i can eat whatever i want and pause it to take a leak. It was highly recommended by Michael Savage

Old 07-25-2017, 06:46 AM

669 posts, read 298,058 times
I had to laugh at the comment about " no computer generated effects " ??

How could any movie production company afford to have thousands of men standing on a beach ? Not going to happen. A few hundred, maybe. The same thing for the WW 2 era naval ships. Where can you find working RN ships that would be at least 75 years old ? You cannot.

Forgetting about the story line for a moment........The logistics of equipment, uniforms and weapons for thousands of men, versus creating them in a computer system........The obvious choice is CGE.

xxx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies