Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:57 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,202,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

There have been plenty of movies, that for some reason, have gotten rave reviews that I found horribly boring. One of them was Atonement from a few years ago. I would have just walked out but I was with someone. Funny thing is after it was over she said she hated it also. I don't care for musicals so I don't care how many awards it gets I'm not going to see LaLa Land. I might have watched it on Netflix when it comes out but after hearing some of the reviews on here, probably won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 07:35 AM

16,365 posts, read 12,351,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
There have been plenty of movies, that for some reason, have gotten rave reviews that I found horribly boring.
That's my struggle with Manchester and Moonlight

Old 02-23-2017, 07:39 AM

31,938 posts, read 34,462,888 times
Quote:
The Joseph Gordon-Levitt character was much more vulnerable...and a lot younger when that film came out. Gosling seems detached and is, in fact, several years older than Gordon-Levitt in this film. Nothing wrong with crying. (Who wouldn't, after what that manipulative Zoey Deschanel character in "500" did to him?)
I didn't think the age gap was that big between Tom (JGL) and Seb (RG). Mia said she dropped out of college after her sophomore year, which was 6 years prior to the events in the movie. That puts her around 25-26. I figured Seb was around the same age...maybe a year or two older. In 500 Days of Summer, I always assumed Tom and Summer were a few years out of undergrad, so maybe around 24-25. JGL and RG are the same age in real life.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:33 AM

26,627 posts, read 26,540,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't think the age gap was that big between Tom (JGL) and Seb (RG).
Big difference in life between Gordon Levitt's age 28 (when 500 came out in 2009) and Gosling in La La at age 36. Emotional maturity-wise, anyway.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 AM

31,938 posts, read 34,462,888 times
Quote:
Big difference in life between Gordon Levitt's age 28 (when 500 came out in 2009) and Gosling in La La at age 36. Emotional maturity-wise, anyway.
I guess I'm asking how you know Seb (Gosling) is supposed to be 36 years old in La La Land. I don't remember there being any reference to his age. Yes, Gosling is 36 in real life, but that doesn't mean he was supposed to be 36 in the movie.

We have some sense of what Mia's age is (she said it had been 6 years since she dropped out of college as a sophomore, putting her around 25-26). We don't have as clear a sense of Seb's age, but my guess would be that he's around the same age as Mia. My sense was that they were both in the beginning stages of their careers.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I guess I'm asking how you know Seb (Gosling) is supposed to be 36 years old in La La Land. I don't remember there being any reference to his age.
I don’t. Just hints....Seb can afford to live alone, while Mia has roommates. (She seems to come off as much younger than he.) He appears to have a history with work in L.A. He seems less prone to emotional outbursts. He LOOKS older (compare him w/ his roles in "The Notebook" and "Lars and the Real Girl," in which he DOES look like someone in his 20s).

Gordon Levitt looks younger than his age, and acts young in "500."

And
Spoiler
If he's a little older, then Seb's situation at the end is much more believable – what kid in his 20s owns a bar in L.A.?

Old 02-24-2017, 08:57 AM

1,760 posts, read 2,091,121 times
Quote:
I don’t. Just hints....Seb can afford to live alone, while Mia has roommates. (She seems to come off as much younger than he.) He appears to have a history with work in L.A. He seems less prone to emotional outbursts. He LOOKS older (compare him w/ his roles in "The Notebook" and "Lars and the Real Girl," in which he DOES look like someone in his 20s).

Gordon Levitt looks younger than his age, and acts young in "500."

And
Spoiler
If he's a little older, then Seb's situation at the end is much more believable – what kid in his 20s owns a bar in L.A.?
The end scene is 5 or 6 years later than the beginning of the movie, so it makes sense that he's in his 30s then. I love it when they both see each other and he nods at her, they loved each other but not every great love story lasts forever. In 500 JGL is younger and behaves younger and cries because he can't have his love. Seb recognizes that he and Emma Stone's character had to make sacrifices to reach their goals and the sacrifice was their relationship. He sees her and he remembers how much he loves her but he knows life has moved on. I don't see the comparison between the movies. The characters are at different stages in their lives at the end of each film.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:52 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,434,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
The end scene is 5 or 6 years later than the beginning of the movie, so it makes sense that he's in his 30s then. I love it when they both see each other and he nods at her, they loved each other but not every great love story lasts forever. In 500 JGL is younger and behaves younger and cries because he can't have his love. Seb recognizes that he and Emma Stone's character had to make sacrifices to reach their goals and the sacrifice was their relationship. He sees her and he remembers how much he loves her but he knows life has moved on. I don't see the comparison between the movies. The characters are at different stages in their lives at the end of each film.
You summed it up perfectly. I'll also say again I thought the ending was perfect and actually very realistic.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
He sees her and he remembers how much he loves her but he knows life has moved on.
Has he? OR, he

Spoiler
sees her and realizes that she's with another man. (He has no choice but to move on...)

Quote:
I don't see the comparison between the movies. The characters are at different stages in their lives at the end of each film.
You're probably right about that.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:46 AM

628 posts, read 827,030 times
I dont know how it got alot of nominations when i saw the tralier it was so bad that the cars 2 film was better even through i hated Cars 2 i wont even watch La La Land even if i am paid to watch La La Land
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies