U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 12:28 PM

2,738 posts, read 1,141,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I expected most people would like it, but ask yourselves this:

Does it have a marvelous, distinct, memorable character, like Yul Brynner in The King and I? No.

Does it have a riveting plot, like Sweeney Todd? No.

Does it have dazzlingly funny or clever lyrics, like Company or Candide? No.

Does it have marvelously memorable tunes, like "I could have danced all night" or "Somewhere over the rainbow" or "Send in the clowns" or "People"? No.

Does it feature an unusual or exotic locale, like The King and I or South Pacific? No.

Does it have an enjoyable evocation of an era, like Gigi? No.

Does it touch on any worthwhile issues, like South Pacific? No.

Does it have anything that's really at stake, like Camelot? No.

Does it have anything genuinely moving, like West Side Story? No.

Does it have really sophisticated dancing, like an Astaire film? No.

Does it have any real show-stoppers scenes like all the ones in classic musicals? No.

As I said - bland and dull.
You know, it's possible to not like a movie without having to convince everyone else that your opinion is the right one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 11:59 AM

25,265 posts, read 11,168,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel
But this is one of the worst movie I've seen this year.
Sadly thats the only type of movie they can make now and its sad..... Like you said BLAND,SHALLOW,etc.......

Old 01-08-2017, 07:32 PM

9,935 posts, read 10,194,888 times
Ryan Gosling Wins Golden Globe For 'La La Land' Performance:

Ryan Gosling won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy for his performance as the jazz-obsessed musician Sebastian in La La Land on Sunday Night: Forbes Welcome

and Damien Chazelle of 'La La Land' wins best screenplay.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:56 PM

6,908 posts, read 4,243,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Ryan Gosling Wins Golden Globe For 'La La Land' Performance:

Ryan Gosling won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy for his performance as the jazz-obsessed musician Sebastian in La La Land on Sunday Night: Forbes Welcome

and Damien Chazelle of 'La La Land' wins best screenplay.
It also won best original song and best original score.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:53 PM

14,865 posts, read 44,226,886 times
For me, it was "ok." It was a pleasant diversion that kept clear of social issues, had characters that were at least somewhat likeable, and seemed retrospective in part. I have to agree with Clarallel's points though.

A couple random comments:

The big production number in the beginning had me wondering if it was going to be a remake of "West Side Story" or "Grease." Since that was the only major production in the movie, I can imagine the accountants in the backroom positively screaming to "cut the budget busters!!!"

In a 1940s musical, her costuming in particular would have accentuated her dance moves and flowed with her. One dress in particular looked like it was a limp fabric from a discounter and worked against her dancing rather than with it.

She was not a strong singer. She did OK, but Sarah Brightman she is not.

The floating in the planetarium scene made me have to repress a laugh, as it reminded me too much of this sequence:

The reprise at the end was reminiscent of the ending of "The Muppet Movie" with the stage set of the highway overpass.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:05 PM

7,170 posts, read 5,012,201 times
Yeah. It was OK.
I didn't come out of there singing some of the tunes like I did in Mama Mia or Oklahoma.

Ryan Gosling showed a thing or two.
Emma Stone was OK. Should not be confused for someone with real singing talent, though.
Traffic jam choreography has to be compared to "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and it came up way short. Didn't even approach "Singing in The Rain".

Story was not great, but the "we have drifted apart" scene was wonderful! "Wasted evening" scene was very good.

I liked Zootopia better.
I came out of Zootopia singing "Try Everything", all the way home!

Old 01-11-2017, 06:39 AM

9,935 posts, read 10,194,888 times
Loved Emma Stone. Who cares if she isn't Julie Andrews? She was great in this.

Emma Stone Was Nervous About Singing in La La Land, But Not About Admitting that She Sucks Her Thumb | W Magazine

Old 01-11-2017, 02:11 PM

6,908 posts, read 4,243,434 times
I don't know why everyone keeps trying to compare this to classic musicals. This wasn't meant to be a traditional musical.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:24 PM

18,918 posts, read 34,055,883 times
This movie is going to be on the short list of all time greats. Every aspect of the movie was superb. It is the only movie since Patton in 1970 that I've returned to see a second time, and gladly so.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:28 PM

1,075 posts, read 286,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
For me, it was "ok." It was a pleasant diversion that kept clear of social issues, had characters that were at least somewhat likeable, and seemed retrospective in part. I have to agree with Clarallel's points though.

A couple random comments:

The big production number in the beginning had me wondering if it was going to be a remake of "West Side Story" or "Grease." Since that was the only major production in the movie, I can imagine the accountants in the backroom positively screaming to "cut the budget busters!!!"

In a 1940s musical, her costuming in particular would have accentuated her dance moves and flowed with her. One dress in particular looked like it was a limp fabric from a discounter and worked against her dancing rather than with it.

She was not a strong singer. She did OK, but Sarah Brightman she is not.

The floating in the planetarium scene made me have to repress a laugh, as it reminded me too much of this sequence:

The reprise at the end was reminiscent of the ending of "The Muppet Movie" with the stage set of the highway overpass.

Good points.

I thought the costuming was mediocre - that is, the dresses were cut to swirl nicely, but had nothing eye-catching about them, and looked rather cheap, in fact - like the unlined rayon dresses you'd buy at a discount store.

The mediocre singing is an excellent point. Or even the main dancing. Your comment is a reminder that in the mid-century "golden age" musicals, they often cast leads who were mostly professional singers (e.g. Frank Sinatra) or dancers (e.g. Gene Kelly). Gosling and Stone are neither.

I have no problem with a movie of character that are "somewhat likable" if the movie is making some other points, but here it wasn't enough. And classic musicals tended to be predicated on the premise of a One True Love for the very likable people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies