Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 04:00 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,630,268 times

Advertisements

I just returned from my second viewing and now I better understand why I spent 20 minutes of the movie teary eyed with my heart swelling with emotion in my chest. Thomas Newman did the music. Need I say more? His breathtakingly beautiful orchestral arrangements do it to me every time - like in The Shawshank Redemption. And in Road to Perdition.

That is not to be confused with the stupid music that starts immediately after the ending. I don't know or care where that came from, but Thomas Newman had nothing to do with it for sure. I consider it the only flaw with the movie worth talking about....it doesn't fit at all. But a dumb musical choice for the first couple of minutes of credits cannot mar a movie as refreshingly different, as thought-provoking, and as touching as this one is.

I don't go many movies these days because I've been disappointed too many times....to the point of walking out early now and then. But if Passengers is around for a while longer, I may just go back for round three. This one's a winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 09:10 PM

9,484 posts, read 16,372,680 times
Seems this movie is receiving terrible reviews. I rarely ever avoid a movie because of poor reviews. I'll probably see it this week.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 2,321 times
I find it pleasing but not particulary exciting
The initial storyline is low, more lively in the second half
Good photography and special effects
The plot is simplistic and even a little obvius
He wakes up just the head mechanic whit the rigth code...

Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 PM

13,563 posts, read 15,487,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibert View Post
He wakes up just the head mechanic whit the rigth code...
Thanks for the spoiler -- now I'm not going to see it.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:09 AM

23,517 posts, read 69,907,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Thanks for the spoiler -- now I'm not going to see it.
It could have been a subtly funny film if the director hadn't been so serious. A few easter eggs would have been wonderful, like the "right code" being 42.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:24 PM

13,563 posts, read 15,487,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It could have been a subtly funny film if the director hadn't been so serious. A few easter eggs would have been wonderful, like the "right code" being 42.
An homage to the band Level 42? I don't get it.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:57 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,752,561 times
Fluff movie at best. The reviews were dead on. Virtually nothing about this movie drew me into the characters a whole lot. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,451,886 times
I thought this movie was just okay. It was utterly predictable.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,193,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I just returned from my second viewing and now I better understand why I spent 20 minutes of the movie teary eyed with my heart swelling with emotion in my chest. Thomas Newman did the music. Need I say more? His breathtakingly beautiful orchestral arrangements do it to me every time - like in The Shawshank Redemption. And in Road to Perdition.

That is not to be confused with the stupid music that starts immediately after the ending. I don't know or care where that came from, but Thomas Newman had nothing to do with it for sure. I consider it the only flaw with the movie worth talking about....it doesn't fit at all. But a dumb musical choice for the first couple of minutes of credits cannot mar a movie as refreshingly different, as thought-provoking, and as touching as this one is.

I don't go many movies these days because I've been disappointed too many times....to the point of walking out early now and then. But if Passengers is around for a while longer, I may just go back for round three. This one's a winner.
What a fascinating take!
Now, I guess i could go see it.

My brother said it was like watching 2 beautiful people drinking champagne for 2 hours....
laughed, said don't see it. Hmmm.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:13 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,630,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What a fascinating take!
Now, I guess i could go see it.

My brother said it was like watching 2 beautiful people drinking champagne for 2 hours....
laughed, said don't see it. Hmmm.
This movie is trashed by those who can't get enough of the mindless explosions/noise and juvenile humor that has asphyxiated thinking movie-goers for a generation. This movie is a very pleasant surprise for the rest of us.

I suggest you do yourself a favor, see it, and make your own decision. Forget the "top critics" and sample the audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. It is filled with comments like these....
Quote:
One of the best movies I've seen in theaters for years. I would suggest watching in 3D or iMax before it leaves theaters!
Quote:
Whoever cast this movie gets a high five from me! I can't believe this movie is getting bad reviews! Who are the "critics" anyway?? Go see this movie! It has a great plot and the chemistry between Lawrence and Pratt is on point!
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pas...ge=5&type=user
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies