U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 12:30 PM

7,076 posts, read 7,432,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
This movie is trashed by those who can't get enough of the mindless explosions/noise and juvenile humor that has asphyxiated thinking movie-goers for a generation.
I suspect a certain number of zombies think that since it's a sci-fi film and stars Chris Pratt, that it's a Guardians of the Galaxy sequel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 12:56 AM

24,961 posts, read 24,743,684 times
Well it looked like an iffy movie for me. Too much romance. Not enough action. And then Jennifer Lawrence got kicked off the list after her insensitive comments and being so cavalier about both cultural traditions and almost killing a movie staffer. So I decided to pass.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:52 PM

2,583 posts, read 4,723,524 times
Saw it today and liked it very much. Beautiful set design. That was probably my favorite part of the movie.

A thought that occurred to me after the movie:
Spoiler
Assume that Jim and Aurora live on the ship for another 50 years. They consume meals during that time. If they live on the ship for 45 years and consume 3 meals a day, they will have eaten nearly 100,000 meals between them. And that doesn't count the water and the other resources on the ship. (Although maybe the ship has the ability to make its own water.) So wouldn't this diminishment of foodstuffs greatly impact the surviving passengers and crew when they all awake? They still have to live on the ship for an additional 4 months (for the passengers) or 5 months (for the crew). I did see that they had planted fruits and vegetables on the main concourse, and they were being harvested by the droids, so perhaps some of those resources were preserved and could be used for the rest of the passengers/crew. Do you think the food/water consumed by Jim and Aurora would have a significant impact on the rest of the ship's manifest?

Another thought that had occurred to me initially was that surely they had kids? In 88 years, shouldn't there be at least one more generation? But then I thought that they probably would have foregone having children since the children would have no mates. (Although come to think of it, they could just resurrect mates from the other passengers. But that would perpetuate the moral transgression and put them all at risk. It worked out for Aurora and Jim, but that doesn't mean they'd get lucky a second time around with other passengers.)

I also find it difficult to believe that the ship would survive another 88 years unscathed, especially since they've been tinkering with it (like planting a tree, etc; what damage would the root system cause?). And the ship IS already damaged, from the asteroid belt. I would imagine that with the two of them running around, using the systems and resources, it would experience further mechanical breakdowns and malfunctions.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:50 PM

1,014 posts, read 476,188 times
I thought it was typical Hollywood fluff with the ending. From xxxx to xxxx with her ( feelings) . What a terrible idea by the writers. This is what you get for trying to please Generation Twilight films.

Last edited by 87112; 01-12-2017 at 09:05 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 08:54 PM

1,014 posts, read 476,188 times
You guys need to watch the Korean film Bedeviled to see a relationship go sour. Its free on youtube with subtitles. A billion times better.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:35 AM

24,958 posts, read 12,446,195 times
Well - having read that the script had been around for along time, I decided to do a quick read before plunking down the cash. Happy I did, because I don't think I like the concept at all.

Spoiler
The bastard killed her. Or, if you will, abducted her with no chance of escape - for life. And he had no right to do that. I know that for a romantic arc to resolve itself, there has to be obstacles to to overcome. But a resolution being the heroine succumbing to Stockholm Syndrome because the hero is so good and brave in repairing the spaceship that is essential to saving his own life as well? - well, that p.sses me off.

As much as I like a good sci-fi romp and think it only polite to oblige when Jennifer Lawrence says "Look at me", this is one I'll pass.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:53 AM

1,012 posts, read 757,765 times
We had heard such bad things about this movie that we didn't go see it in the theaters, and we finally rented it last night.
It was a pleasant way to pass a couple of hours, but the movie had huge plot holes and was quite predictable.

Question: At the very end of the movie, a big-name actor appears on screen for about five seconds, has no lines whatsoever, and then the movie ends.
Is this a set-up for a sequel??

Old 03-23-2017, 01:44 PM

2,583 posts, read 4,723,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
We had heard such bad things about this movie that we didn't go see it in the theaters, and we finally rented it last night.
It was a pleasant way to pass a couple of hours, but the movie had huge plot holes and was quite predictable.

Question: At the very end of the movie, a big-name actor appears on screen for about five seconds, has no lines whatsoever, and then the movie ends.
Is this a set-up for a sequel??
I had heard negative things, too, and saw it anyway in the theatre, and liked it better than I had expected to.

I saw that actor, but to me, the film didn't have a "sequel set-up" feel. It also didn't do very well financially. Budget was $110M and it made $294M worldwide. That's not too bad, but not great. (I've read that rule of thumb for profitability is to earn at least 2.5 to 3 times its budget in worldwide box office receipts.)

Old 04-07-2017, 03:41 PM

8,856 posts, read 9,861,647 times
Watched this last night, thought it was very good. Effects were spectacular, and I can understand Jim doing what he did. Like that crew chief said, a drowning man always pulls someone down with him.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:52 PM

8,573 posts, read 4,621,631 times
It was ok. Did not hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies